Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,

I know it's been a while since I posted anything on here, busy at work and not enough time to get online. I am thinking about purchasing a portable GPS unit for use in the car. (I don't have the NAV radio in the car, couldn't see spending the $$$ for the REC Nav radio) I'm looking at several units, Cobra, Tomtom, and Magellan. (Cobra NavOne 2100, the Tomtom GO 510, Tomtom ONE XL, and the Magellan Maestro 4040 (w/ AAA Travel information) Anyone here have any of those units, or have had the chance to look at those units? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I look foreward to be hearing from the group soon!

Sincerely,

Brian T. Carotenuto

·
Registered
9,311 Posts
Tom Tom!

Hi All,

I got the Tom Tom One about 2 weeks ago and I love it! (Watch for sales! I got at Circuit City for $50 off the usual, so it was only $200) I like how flat it is, the screen is easy to read day or night and I found it easy to set up and use. You can also download different colors and voices, but I think you can do that with most of them.

Notice: it comes on at first with a "Default" menu, so I thought I was missing some options... read the manual :eek: :whistle: and found the "Full" menu, then all was good!

I really do like this unit! :grin:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had the Garmin 2610 and Zumo, that I switch between cars and the bike. Also also, just bought a Garmin NUVI for work. Obviously, I'm partial to garmin, but one of the things that I've heard about TOM TOM (I believe) is that there maps are better in Europe, then they are in the US.... Something to check out and get opinions.

I would defiantly recommend one of the units that speaks the street names. Also, if you like to plan specific trips (I do on the bike), make sure that the unit comes with software for the computer to do routes (NUVI does not). If not, I think all will get you from point "A" to "B"

I also purchased a disk to put on the dash, to mount the GPS. Our windshields don't have a lot of extra room on them. Otherwise, unless you absolutely hate the look of portable unit in your car, I highly recommend them. Much cheaper than the factory installed units, and most importantly you can take them with you in any car you may be traveling in.

-brian
St. Marys, PA

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
My fiance has a garmin nuvi and we love it. It is better than the nav that is in my Charger R/T. I think the garmins are rated a little higher than the others. Go to cnet.com and read the reviews. That should help you decide.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I brought a Garmin C-330, nothing fancy, no bluetooth, mp3 player, just nav W/voice. I brought it to get around Washington DC and it worked great. Pretty cheap compared to others, can get at best buy for $229.00. comes with usb for updates.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a NuVi 660 - and I LOVE IT. I purchased mine from here:

http://www.tigergps.com/index.html

And I just recently purchased this - http://www.tigergps.com/garminfrictionnuvi.html

Which i really love. Makes it really easy to remove it from the dash and stash it in the center console. I used the Window Mount but it would either fall (ouch) or in the summer it melted a little onto the windshield so I had a black ring on it.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have the TOMTOM and am mostly happy but it doesn't have a lot of points of interest that I have wanted, ie Wal-mart, the hockey stadium. It has shopping centers no stores. Also it has stadium, sporting places, concert hall, convention centers, and I never know which one a place may fall under. Also I couldn't find routes for a long time, look under US64 or whatever number, other than that I am pretty happy. PS it works with bluetooth, very useful.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I highly recommend Garmin. My model is one of the earlier models that was about $1300 back then and could only hold enough memory for about 4 states. Now the memory for the entire US is built in. It has been reliable now for about 8 years. I use it in my patrol car and have it on for the entire shift every day so it has more than average use.

The power cord went bad once. I called Garmin customer service and ordered the new cord at a cost of about fifty bucks. Before I got off the phone the agent told me that she was going to send the cord for free. In addition to this, they are easy to get hold of and are always helpful. Their customer service has me sold on them.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I have the Sony NAV-U70 Personal Navigation System. Nothing fancy, works real well, and I like the units shape (it matches the center bezel, and its square look was one of the main reasons I bought it). Plus it's nav info can be upgraded through software from time to time off the Sony web site, just download it and plug it into you computer...done. They don't have my model any more but have upgraded it to a better one. It also has a built-in antenna, but I bought and external one anyway. Used it in three other cars as well without the antenna and seemed to work fine. It will run up to 4 to 5 hours without a charge.

Here it is. I've cleaned up the wire's install since this picture was taken.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have the Sony NAV-U70 Personal Navigation System. Nothing fancy, works real well, and I like the units shape (it matches the center bezel, and its square look was one of the main reasons I bought it). Plus it's nav info can be upgraded through software from time to time off the Sony web site, just download it and plug it into you computer...done. They don't have my model any more but have upgraded it to a better one. It also has a built-in antenna, but I bought and external one anyway. Used it in three other cars as well without the antenna and seemed to work fine. It will run up to 4 to 5 hours without a charge.

Here it is. I've cleaned up the wire's install since this picture was taken.

That's a whole lot of stuff! Sirius, Nav, CB and what are the random switches for??

·
Registered
159 Posts
im not a fan of the portable gps systems they just look out of place and some are bulky and just dont go with the look of the interior and they are just sitting there begging to be stolen!!! if i was you i would get an affordable after market head unit gps system. the jvc KD-NX5000 just might be what you need my friend it has a 3.5inch monitor it plays dvds it has a 40 gig hard drive, also blue tooth and i pod ready basically it has all the bells and whistles on the jvc site it retails for 1100 but i have found it for less then 600 which i think is a great price for something that does sooo much.

http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027893&pathId=126&page=2

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.