Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I currently am driving around a Focus ST that coming around 2022 I am thinking of selling or trading it in and getting a new DD, I think I am ready to hang up the manual and also leave the FWD scene and return to the RWD (I have had a Buick Apollo as my first car with all drum brakes and an old 95 Camaro and a 01 Mustang before) I have been bouncing between a Charger R/T or the Scat pack as I do miss having a V8 car but don't know what one I would enjoy. It will see some snow here in the southwest part of Kansas but we don't get anything to crazy I think a couple feet since I moved here in 2014 is what I've seen and know a good set of snow tires from growing up in Utah does wonders. If I go with the R/T I notice they do have a handling pack and wondering if it's worth looking into or should I just go up to the Scat pack, I won't be doing any track stuff with it and just some spirited driving on some back roads nothing to crazy. I know one takes 87 and the other takes 91 but I've been running 91 this whole time in my ST so that's not an issue. Besides the power would they both act different in snow or about the same if driven cautious and with good snow tires. Also I don't plan on doing to much to it either just a exhaust and maybe an intake. Just seeing what everyone with either prefer or give me some pointers on what to check out when I go in finally to look at them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The r/t is a perfect street machine. The 245 tires that come on the scat pack are down right dangerous. Youll need to upgrade those to AT LEAST 275 and that’s with snow or not. That being said, nothing beats the sound of the 392 v8 in the scat packs. And they aren’t that much more. An R/T with even a single upgrade is gonna get you into scat pack territory cost wise. I just ordered a basic scat pack with no upgrades and it was only 3 grand more than msrp on an R/T. The only thing is they are selling for a premium right now so you will have to shop around ALLOT before getting a deal. I had like 10 dealers quote me 8-10 grand over MSRP. After about 20 dealers I found one that would do it for affiliate pricing. Either one you get you will be a very happy camper but IMO nothing beats the bang for your buck of a scat pack.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you go with the scat pack you should consider the widebody. It is built to handle the power of the 392 better. I’ve enjoyed mine a ton.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've owned both and the 392 smokes the 5.7. Well worth the $5K or so difference in price. I can't speak to how they are in the snow, but the Scat Pack is a better value for sure

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone, I am going to wait just because the car market is unstable right now, but wanted some feedback. I do love the widebody but since it is a dd is there any setup I would be able to do for a winter tire just in case or a rim and tire set up that would work, and with the normal Scat Pack I was thinking of keeping the 245 as winter rims and a good set of snow tires for the cold season and get a better set of rims and tires to put on them to handle the power.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't want to put winter tires on a widebody..... You could get smaller wheels and winter tires but it might look goofy.

If you get a Scat with 4 pot Brembos you can actually run aftermarket 18x8 wheels and snow tires and it will be a much more cost effective option (and give you some sidewall for winter potholes). Then keep the OEM wheels and put on summer tires when they wear out!

I daily drive my 2019 R/T as I did my 2006 R/T and I change to a winter set when needed. If you get a 2017+ all V8 Chargers had the active exhaust starting then (as well as Apple Car Play/Android Auto) so a good year for your cut off on used cars. If you get a 2019+ all R/Ts are equipped with the Super Track Pak suspension and have the "performance" front fascia and rear fascia and side sills so another good break point if you get an R/T.

The R/T is pretty stout and can run to 60 in 5 flat but of course the 392 shaves more than a half second off and from a roll the 392 is much better.

Definitely test drive both and find the best deal if you are buying used... right now all v8 Chargers are super expensive!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thank you everyone, I am going to wait just because the car market is unstable right now, but wanted some feedback. I do love the widebody but since it is a dd is there any setup I would be able to do for a winter tire just in case or a rim and tire set up that would work, and with the normal Scat Pack I was thinking of keeping the 245 as winter rims and a good set of snow tires for the cold season and get a better set of rims and tires to put on them to handle the power.
Buying new is better than used. Don’t ask how but these cars appreciate in value. I bought mine for 40k and it jelly blue booked for 51 only 3 weeks after purchase.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Buying new is better than used. Don’t ask how but these cars appreciate in value. I bought mine for 40k and it jelly blue booked for 51 only 3 weeks after purchase.
Don't expect that to last indefinitely... COVID shut downs and chip shortages are affecting the market still. I shopped from March, 2019 to Feb, 2020 before I found/bought my 2019 R/T. It wasn't unusual to have a 3-4 year old Scat with under 35k miles for sale in the $32-35k range depending on year and equipment.... now that's what the R/Ts are going for and Scats are at $45k!

I bought my car for $27k it was a 2019 with 11k miles and in the last few weeks I've done some online offers and they've been at $32k even $33k!

It might take 6 months or even a year but prices will come back down. Great time to sell terrible time to buy now.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
rchappy84: Welcome to the forums. Update us when you make the purchase.

·
Registered
73 Posts
FWIW, at least Perrelli makes a snow tire that will fit the widebody rims. I thought about getting them for my scatpack widebody, but they are very expensive. Instead I changed over to Michelin Pilot 4 all seasons, which have been great. I would not want to drive the widebody in any heavier snow that what I can with those.

and I do use my scat pack widebody as a daily driver.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts