Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am in Muscat, Oman and looking for buy a Charger R/T Max. Well I have almost decided to buy the car and will be going to give the deposit tomorrow to book the car. I had been driving an Nissan Altima before this so you know where I am coming from and my driving history lol. Before deciding on the Charger took a test drive of a Lexus, Volvo, Audi.
Initially took a test drive for the 3.6 L and was pretty happy with it and then as an afterthought took a test drive of the 5.7L since the price is not much different between the 2.
Just love the 5.7L engine, the power, the torque. I do drive a lot over here. About 5000miles a month more of less and wanted to know how is the car specially on long distances. Power is good but want practicality too, as in I should not be too knackered after a 600 km drive which I frequently do.
Anything else I should be aware before I buy a muscle car?
Thanks
rachit

·
Registered
477 Posts
I love my charger, lots of fun! They seem to be rough on tie-rods though. My car is on its 3rd set and I only drive my car a few months a year and rarely beat on it. They are fun and addicting to mod! I recommend them, ENJOY!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've had mine (2010 SXT AWD) for a little over two years and I'm finding as more time goes by I like it less.

Good looking car but it's far too underpowered and handles like a dog. CD player has died moisture gets trapped inside the cabin which causes problems for winter driving. The steering column boot has needed to be regreased every 6-8 months and the passenger side rocker shaft and or assembly is starting to go.

The problem I find with chargers of all trim level is they all look good but each trim level (for SRT I only have experience with 6.1L cars) is underpowered and under optioned for the price you pay.

In short, chargers are good looking comfortable cars. They don't appear to be reliable and they're rather highly priced compared to many other cars of similar cost and better performance.

If you need that look, get one, however there are other options out there.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
In short, chargers are good looking comfortable cars. They don't appear to be reliable and they're rather highly priced compared to many other cars of similar cost and better performance.
1) You are from Canada. Cars are generally more expensive here anyways...

2) You bought your car used. Apart from your first post, every other post of yours seems to be a complaint of sorts.

3) The 2011+ Chargers are much much nicer...especially for the V6 with the 8speed - Have you test driven one?

4) If handling was something you were looking for, you made a big big mistake by purchasing a car of this size.
These vehicles excel when it comes to long distance trips..

Back to the OP:

Imo, go for it.
Petrol is pretty cheap there in Oman as well...isnt it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am in Muscat, Oman and looking for buy a Charger R/T Max. Well I have almost decided to buy the car and will be going to give the deposit tomorrow to book the car. I had been driving an Nissan Altima before this so you know where I am coming from and my driving history lol. Before deciding on the Charger took a test drive of a Lexus, Volvo, Audi.
Initially took a test drive for the 3.6 L and was pretty happy with it and then as an afterthought took a test drive of the 5.7L since the price is not much different between the 2.
Just love the 5.7L engine, the power, the torque. I do drive a lot over here. About 5000miles a month more of less and wanted to know how is the car specially on long distances. Power is good but want practicality too, as in I should not be too knackered after a 600 km drive which I frequently do.
Anything else I should be aware before I buy a muscle car?
Thanks
rachit
Nope buy the trim level that fits your budget and enjoy it. My wife daily drives her 2012 R/T she loves it. The reason we chose the charger over all the other sedans is that its got character and has muscle car DNA. Most of the other automotive makers are going with the same design which got old fast imo and looks like every other car on the road. As for fit,finish and reliability i would put it up there with any brand on the road today.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have no long history of Charger owning, but since bought mine 2013 SXT Plus in last July - no disappointment. Had a 2010 Caliber SXT Sport Plus for 3 years and also - no issues.
Seems to me, that Dodge makes a great cars for their money.
Charger is fantastic. The interior of 2011+ so cool - I like "starship cockpit" look and and not the usual central console as in all other cars...

Well...just one thing - at the 135 km/h with strong side-wind I feel some discomfort with the front weels, but on the 120 km/h - it handles perfect. Love this car.
Can't wait till the spring to give it new look with new rims and grill surround.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.. great help.
Will be giving a deposit tomorrow and then sorting the finances out. Should have the car next week. They have a fantastic deal on 2013 chargers here, almost $4000 off. Once I had driven the 5.7L the 3.6L looked boring, also the top of line RT is only about $ 1000 more expensive than the SXT so the decision to jump to 5.7 was easy.
And yeah petrol is damn cheap here something like 0.120Bz/ 30 cents /L or $1.17/ gallon.
Just an afterthought.. what kind of mileage do you get on your tyres? My Altima has done 65K kms and can still stretch they tyres for at least 10K kms .

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2013 SE with sports package, It was my very first Charger & I love it... I drive 70+ miles Monday to Friday for work and Its always a pleasure to drive.

·
Registered
433 Posts
1) You are from Canada. Cars are generally more expensive here anyways...

2) You bought your car used. Apart from your first post, every other post of yours seems to be a complaint of sorts.

3) The 2011+ Chargers are much much nicer...especially for the V6 with the 8speed - Have you test driven one?

4) If handling was something you were looking for, you made a big big mistake by purchasing a car of this size.
These vehicles excel when it comes to long distance trips..

Back to the OP:

Imo, go for it.
Petrol is pretty cheap there in Oman as well...isnt it?
1). You're right, I could have bought another overpriced car here in Canada. But I definately could have got one that offers more for the same or less money than a Charger.

2). Yes it was used but well maintained and I know who drove it, don't see what the point of you saying that was.

3). Yes, they 2011+ do appear to be nice. However I found the 8speed hard drownshift to be highly annoying. Again, should be better for the pricetag.

4). Handling was not something I was after, but after owning this car for two years, they could have done better.

You seem a little offending that I'm pointing out flaws I find. Relax.

I'm not saying Chargers are bad I'm just saying they're not as good as they should be for the money we are paying. Why is it complaining to say that?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
1). You're right, I could have bought another overpriced car here in Canada. But I definately could have got one that offers more for the same or less money than a Charger.

2). Yes it was used but well maintained and I know who drove it, don't see what the point of you saying that was.

3). Yes, they 2011+ do appear to be nice. However I found the 8speed hard drownshift to be highly annoying. Again, should be better for the pricetag.

4). Handling was not something I was after, but after owning this car for two years, they could have done better.

You seem a little offending that I'm pointing out flaws I find. Relax.

I'm not saying Chargers are bad I'm just saying they're not as good as they should be for the money we are paying. Why is it complaining to say that?
If you bought used you should have done well as depreciation of SXT models is high. I bought my Charger new over 7 years ago and I paid $31500 not including doc fees and taxes. 8 months later I thought of upgrading to a Daytona R/T and car was worth $20K (auction values) and at the time it had only 7000 km. That's a $15K loss when you include taxes and doc fees.
The MSRP (window sticker) of the car was $36000.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If you bought used you should have done well as depreciation of SXT models is high. I bought my Charger new over 7 years ago and I paid $31500 not including doc fees and taxes. 8 months later I thought of upgrading to a Daytona R/T and car was worth $20K (auction values) and at the time it had only 7000 km. That's a $15K loss when you include taxes and doc fees.
The MSRP (window sticker) of the car was $36000.
I paid $19k (canadian) last july. Got hit in the winter (minor body damage but there was a lot of it) and last month was told $12k on trade in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts