Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to this forum and I'm also new to the car world. I don't know much about cars but I do know that I want more power on my car and I want it to look more attactive.

I own an automatic 2007 RWD Dodge Charger SXT 3.5L V6 (White)

Current Mods:
- SRT8 Hood (Black)
- SRT8 Spoilerwing (Black)
- SRT8 Twin Exaust

Things I have in mind:
- Intake
- Intercooler
- Supercharger
- semi-automatic transmission.

I don't want to much, don't want it to sound unnessesarilly loud or to cut the mpg by half, just 60-90 extra hp and price extimates

Got around $5,000 and saving
THX in advance :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
For exterior my rule of thumb is always:

1) Tint
2) Lowered
3) HID's

It's the three banger that makes the car not look awkward (unlowered chargers look like their wheels don't match the car like hightop shoes lol).

Performance wise, see above poster.

On an end note: Welcome :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Diablo Predator Tuner
2. CAI
3. True Dual Exhaust
4. Inertia Motorsports Cams
1. How I'm I supposed to use the tunner? Just adjust depending on the gas octane I'm using?
2. I got no idea what a CAI is... (Sorry xD)
3. What's wrong with the STR Exhaust?
4. and what does an Inertia Motorsports Cams do? xD

Please specify HP, Torque, Gas Economy, Top Speed, Acceleration, and Sound changes :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For exterior my rule of thumb is always:

1) Tint
2) Lowered
3) HID's

It's the three banger that makes the car not look awkward (unlowered chargers look like their wheels don't match the car like hightop shoes lol).

Performance wise, see above poster.

On an end note: Welcome :)
1. I'm getting Tints as soon as I get the permit for 20% tints for "disability"
2. I really can't lower it here cause streets here aren't in top conditions for that... Can't even get rims too big or I'll break them...
3. AfterI'm done with performance, I'm changing both head/fog and tail-lights, change the spoiler and add a little paint (Just a few stripes...)

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
1. How I'm I supposed to use the tunner? Just adjust depending on the gas octane I'm using?
2. I got no idea what a CAI is... (Sorry xD)
3. What's wrong with the STR Exhaust?
4. and what does an Inertia Motorsports Cams do? xD

Please specify HP, Torque, Gas Economy, Top Speed, Acceleration, and Sound changes :)
1. The tuner allows you to adjust shift points, computer setting for the fuel octane you're using, etc.
2. A CAI, is a Cold Air Intake. Alone it won't give big gains, but as with an exhaust, it's a mod that needs done as a base if you intend to do more involved stuff. CAI to let the car inhale, and exhaust to let it exhale. Once it can breath it's more receptive to other mods.
3. SRT exhaust should be fine as long as it's a true dual exhaust (I imagine it is).
4. Cams will increase power/acceleration.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. The tuner allows you to adjust shift points, computer setting for the fuel octane you're using, etc.
2. A CAI, is a Cold Air Intake. Alone it won't give big gains, but as with an exhaust, it's a mod that needs done as a base if you intend to do more involved stuff. CAI to let the car inhale, and exhaust to let it exhale. Once it can breath it's more receptive to other mods.
3. SRT exhaust should be fine as long as it's a true dual exhaust (I imagine it is).
4. Cams will increase power/acceleration.
1) This seems useful... It means I don't need to get a semi-automatic transmission!
2/3) Well, it's original and the pipe comes out of the header and splits in 1 separte mufflers... Having said that, Do I only need to get a CAI or should I change the exhaust aswell?
4) Did a small research on those and it's a great idea ^_^

One more question... What about a super charger?
What would be the effect on HP, Torque, Gas Economy, Top Speed, Acceleration, and Sound changes?

Ohh, 1 more thing, eve with a super charger, the SXT will still be no match for an unmodified R/T? (Acc/ Top Speed)

·
Registered
235 Posts
You can get a permit for tints? Is this only in the state you live in,... if not why have I never been informed of this!

20% as low as it can go?

I live in pa and the roads out here can be bad at times too, but in most cases it's just a matter of dodging potholes. The lowering springs usually only drop about 1.5 fronts/1.9 backs. I wouldn't go any lower, but then again that is IMO.

The drop makes the wheel fit the wheel well better. I'd still consider it :bigthumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wouldn't do an srt exhaust. Its too big of piping. You will lose to much back pressure which will result in negative effects on your hp and torque. You can always go with an rt or daytona rt exhaust. Personally, I would get a custom exhaust done. I have mine done custom and its true dual and weighs a 1/2 what a stock exhaust does and doesn't have those monstrous mufflers and no resonator.

Definitely do the predator, best bang for the buck, plus its a gateway to bigger mods such as a supercharger.

I was looking at doing a supercharger or turbo, but its a good chunk of change. So I think I'm settle for a ported throttle body, jba headers, and maybe cams..cams are will come to probably around 700 or more after you get them installed, about 450 if you have the means to do it yourself.

I'm working (still collecting all the suspension parts) to slam my car. I'm doing a full coilover suspension. But if you are not looking to slam it, check out eibach pro system. It lowers your car a bit (1.5" at most) but with improve handling and get rid of a lot our nasty body roll.

·
Registered
275 Posts
And check out the comprehensive v6 performance thread. Brad did a great job at putting that list together.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wouldn't do an srt exhaust. Its too big of piping. You will lose to much back pressure which will result in negative effects on your hp and torque. You can always go with an rt or daytona rt exhaust. Personally, I would get a custom exhaust done. I have mine done custom and its true dual and weighs a 1/2 what a stock exhaust does and doesn't have those monstrous mufflers and no resonator.

Definitely do the predator, best bang for the buck, plus its a gateway to bigger mods such as a supercharger.

I was looking at doing a supercharger or turbo, but its a good chunk of change. So I think I'm settle for a ported throttle body, jba headers, and maybe cams..cams are will come to probably around 700 or more after you get them installed, about 450 if you have the means to do it yourself.

I'm working (still collecting all the suspension parts) to slam my car. I'm doing a full coilover suspension. But if you are not looking to slam it, check out eibach pro system. It lowers your car a bit (1.5" at most) but with improve handling and get rid of a lot our nasty body roll.
That pretty much sums it up. Everything you've said is accurate.

And check out the comprehensive v6 performance thread. Brad did a great job at putting that list together.
That sounds like a good idea to me... link is in my sig.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
......2/3) Well, it's original and the pipe comes out of the header and splits in 1 separte mufflers... Having said that, Do I only need to get a CAI or should I change the exhaust aswell?........
One more question... What about a super charger?
What would be the effect on HP, Torque, Gas Economy, Top Speed, Acceleration, and Sound changes?

Ohh, 1 more thing, eve with a super charger, the SXT will still be no match for an unmodified R/T? (Acc/ Top Speed)
So it sounds like your exhaust is true dual. If it is, it will come off the header/exhaust manifold, to a catalytic converter on each side, then to a muffler on each side, and out the rear on each side. Some systems will have an "X" or "H" pipe between the c.c. and mufflers, and/or resonators on both sides. Basically it will look like two complete exhaust systems running in parallel.

About the supercharger. They're great. HP and torque will increase and the sound is very unique. You'll hear the "whistle" when it spools up, and is a very recognizable sound. Some people don't like it, but I can't get enough of of it. On average you can expect to gain approximately 50% increase with 8 PSI of boost. So if you have a stock 3.5L with 250 HP, you will be in the range of 375 HP if you run a super charger that provides 8 PSI of boost. Calculate in driveline loss, and you'll be in the neighborhood of 275-300 HP at the wheels. That should be in the same range as a stock 5.7L, so yes you'll be a match for an unmodified R/T.

You can get a permit for tints? Is this only in the state you live in,... if not why have I never been informed of this!

20% as low as it can go?......
Some states will allow you to get a medical allowance for tint. You have to carry the medical documentation with you to verify it. I'll check the PA code, and let you know if you can (obviously you would need a medical condition that required tint, and a doctor to sign off on it).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

20% as low as it can go?

I live in pa and the roads out here can be bad at times too, but in most cases it's just a matter of dodging potholes. The lowering springs usually only drop about 1.5 fronts/1.9 backs. I wouldn't go any lower, but then again that is IMO.

The drop makes the wheel fit the wheel well better. I'd still consider it :bigthumb:
Well... People that suffer chemical burns in their eyes can request for tints up to 5% (my neigbor has 5% and he burn he eyes badly during work accident)... I got a chemist friend and I know how the test works so I can fake it easilly since I use glasses but I can't over do it or I might go blind XD

I live in Puerto Rico... nearly 30% of the city roads are potholes...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So it sounds like your exhaust is true dual. If it is, it will come off the header/exhaust manifold, to a catalytic converter on each side, then to a muffler on each side, and out the rear on each side. Some systems will have an "X" or "H" pipe between the c.c. and mufflers, and/or resonators on both sides. Basically it will look like two complete exhaust systems running in parallel.

About the supercharger. They're great. HP and torque will increase and the sound is very unique. You'll hear the "whistle" when it spools up, and is a very recognizable sound. Some people don't like it, but I can't get enough of of it. On average you can expect to gain approximately 50% increase with 8 PSI of boost. So if you have a stock 3.5L with 250 HP, you will be in the range of 375 HP if you run a super charger that provides 8 PSI of boost. Calculate in driveline loss, and you'll be in the neighborhood of 275-300 HP at the wheels. That should be in the same range as a stock 5.7L, so yes you'll be a match for an unmodified R/T.
Thanks All of you, you guys have been really helpful!
I'll post some pics when I start with the mods :banana:

·
Registered
4,493 Posts

20% as low as it can go? .....
Yes, PA offers medical exemptions. Here's a link to the section of law PA window laws.

See sections (e)(2)(ii) through (e)(4). You must have the condition certified by a physician or optometrist, and the condition must be determined by the Medical Advisory Board to justify the exemption. You must also carry with you in the vehicle the certificate of exemption, and are required to remove the tint prior to sale or transfer of the vehicle. You then have to destroy the certificate of exemption, and provide the buyer with a notarized statement of who removed the tint and how.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Awesome! Now time to visit the eye doctor and see what he can manage to come up with! Technically I'm blind... :p

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Awesome! Now time to visit the eye doctor and see what he can manage to come up with! Technically I'm blind... :p
Be careful.

My mom LOST her license trying to get a handicap parking permit. She was rather displeased.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well it wouldn't hurt to see if the eye doctor could get me a reason for the permit... once I have his approval I could then go to the DMV. Maybe I'll just get darker tints this summer and be illegal. I've yet to get ticketed.... *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Good luck, although I think being technically blind would cause you to not be allowed tint of any kind (not ever the legal 70%), rather than to allow more tint which makes it harder to see. I don't know, just the way I see it. Sorry, no pun intended. :)

Be careful.

My mom LOST her license trying to get a handicap parking permit. She was rather displeased.
Well that's not the desired outcome.:disappointed:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts