Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are moving to Idaho and I'm going to want to get some monster winter/all weather tires since we'll be in a very rural area and in snow country. I like the look of the Police steelies (and some off-road truck wheels that are similar) but I cannot seem to find something that matches our 5x115 lug pattern in a wider wheel of similar design.

I know the Charger is competent enough for winter (and light all-terrain duty), we did some light off roading in CO in my '16 R/T going to and from the cabin (didn't realize how off the pavement it was at first!) and town so I've got some basic experience on how well the Charger performs off pavement and in inclement weather--which is to say it performs excellently. It was quite impressive actually with my all-season Nittos.

I have some ancillary questions related to this.
  • Would a 17" or 18" wheel be preferable for this application? (aka more wire and less wheel vs my OEM 20's)
  • How much of a difference will the wheel size matter with the Police brakes? Gonna do that conversion as well.
  • What sort of offset should I be on the lookout for? I'd like wide and fat but not so much that it'll rub.
  • I'm assuming the speedo calculation won't be affected? I'm getting a tuner anyway not that this matters...

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Wider tires aren’t better in snow. Narrow tires glide through snow better. Wide tires plow through snow which isn’t ideal.

·
Registered
686 Posts
He's right. Stay stock size on the tried and true winter tire offerings. Get some budget wheels you like. Police steels are ok and the lug nuts to hold the caps on are not cheap. But deals pop up occasionally.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Good to know about the width. Here in Texas we get snow, just not much of it so my knowledge regarding snow tires is non-existent. LOL We get more ice than anything in the winter. I'll probably just will get the police steelies with some good tires then.

I'm still wanting some suggestions on other wheels that would be in that style, I like options. And things like offset would be important if I go non-factory I suppose.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Good to know about the width. Here in Texas we get snow, just not much of it so my knowledge regarding snow tires is non-existent. LOL We get more ice than anything in the winter. I'll probably just will get the police steelies with some good tires then.

I'm still wanting some suggestions on other wheels that would be in that style, I like options. And things like offset would be important if I go non-factory I suppose.
Get the Police Steelies..the BR9 brakes will fit with those, any other wheel in the 18" size would be a gamble.. I had to grind down the balance weights on my factory 18's to make them fit

Attachments

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Get the Police Steelies..the BR9 brakes will fit with those, any other wheel in the 18" size would be a gamble.. I had to grind down the balance weights on my factory 18's to make them fit
Thanks Krautmaster. (y)

Any ideas if a 245 tire will fit that 18x7.5" police steelie or is 235 is the limit?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check out Tire Rack for wheel size and fitment. The police cars I used had 245/55x18, and the diameter is close to stock; 28.6". For hard pavement underneath, the thinner the tire the better. This assuming that you are using a highly rated tire though. Most cars, usually RWD, have bad reps because of lousy tires.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check out Tire Rack for wheel size and fitment. The police cars I used had 245/55x18, and the diameter is close to stock; 28.6". For hard pavement underneath, the thinner the tire the better. This assuming that you are using a highly rated tire though. Most cars, usually RWD, have bad reps because of lousy tires.
Thanks Bob!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks Krautmaster. (y)

Any ideas if a 245 tire will fit that 18x7.5" police steelie or is 235 is the limit?
245/55/R18 will fit and that would be the safe limit on them. In fact this what FCA started putting on them in later years to match other fleet vehicles. Some have put 255 on there but I do spirited driving and do not like the idea of stretch tires.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
245/55/R18 will fit and that would be the safe limit on them. In fact this what FCA started putting on them in later years to match other fleet vehicles. Some have put 255 on there but I do spirited driving and do not like the idea of stretch tires.
Good to know thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts