Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've got 20" Cragar 610c wheels on my baby, and the face of the wheel is beautiful bright chrome. But the inside of the wheel, and only right behind the spokes, is pitting through the chrome. Not too bad right now, but no way would she win any shows like this. I'm curious as to why its only happening just behind the spokes, maybe brake dust doesn't get blown off there because the spokes are blocking the wind and therefore has time to sit? Maybe something is being thrown off the spokes right against the inside of the wheel? I don't know. Too dark to take pictures tonight, but really doesn't matter.

So what do I do?

Re-chroming, as it turns out, is a very expensive option, equal to the cost of the rims themselves once you include shipping to Cali where most of the re-chroming is taking place right now.

My wheel man suggested taping everything off, scuffing the inside of the wheel, and painting it a flat black. But it would be a shame to hide the chrome that looks ok.

I also thought maybe I'll just scuff it down, spray it with some clearcoat, and shine it back up. That at least stops the pitting (hopefully) and keeps the good chrome looking good.

So what do y'all think? I'll be taking them off in Nov when I put the stocks back on with snow tires, so I'll have the winter to do something.

Thanks for any advice.
Jerry

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Taking your Chrome off for the winter is always an excellent move. It's the salt that destroys the chrome over time. During good weather, if you can take your wheels off every 3-4 months for a good cleaning and waxing that would help. Are they still under warranty? which is another option.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taking your Chrome off for the winter is always an excellent move. It's the salt that destroys the chrome over time. During good weather, if you can take your wheels off every 3-4 months for a good cleaning and waxing that would help. Are they still under warranty? which is another option.
Yeah I figured the chrome would survive best if I warehoused them indoors over the winter. Unfortunately I bought these from another forum member, so no warranty. I may just shine them up as best I can and seal them with clearcoat or wax.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts