Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 2011 Charger w/ 8.4n right now. The installed Lockpick C8 on it works great on it to the extent that I almost consider it mandatory for what I do with the car.

I'm about to switch for a 2014 Charger, and I plan to migrate the Lockpick from my old car to the new one. Has anyone had any experience with it in the 2014 models?

I checked this page and it lists 2011-2014 Dodge vehicles - however I purchased my Lockpick in 2012, so I have no idea if this model supports the newer cars (maybe with a USB update?) or if they're selling a slightly newer Lockpick model for this. I emailed them and got this helpful reply:

Your current C8 LockPick very well might work in your new 2014 Charger. It is an upgraded and newer system but based upon the same format, so I'd say to give it a try. It may work perfectly, or it may be a bit intermittent, or it may not work at all.
Not too helpful :) It's also a bit odd they would say that given how they list 2014 support on their site (maybe they haven't been able to test with a 2014 Charger yet - but they should be more specific about it then)

I'm sending emails out to a few different places, but was really curious if anybody else had done this kind of thing already and could post their experiences.

Edit: Just got this follow-up email in response to my further prompting:

Hi again,

The product you have was designed for your system, through the current year that you purchased it. If you bought it in 2012, then it was for 2011-2012. The 2014 models have the same 8.4" media center, but they are newer, updated systems. To my knowledge nothing has been done that would prevent an older C8 from operating. If you installed your current C8 into a 2014 and it did NOT function properly, at that time we'd connect you with our head technician to see if an update would solve any issues.

So yes, an update could potentially bring your current LockPick up to speed with a 2014 system, but that may not be necessary. Install it, and then go from there. If you experience issues, call us and we'll troubleshoot with you.

Hope that answers your question.
So, I guess I'll give it a try once the new car rolls in and will see how it goes. Still curious if anybody else has had experience with this though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for the bump - I just wanted to come back and chime in as I got my 2014 Charger today (and it's freaking awesome). I can now also directly confirm that the Lockpick C8 works exactly as it used to in the new car with no problems, so hopefully this helps give further confidence to other people who might be on the fence.

Thanks again tanbam!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry for the bump - I just wanted to come back and chime in as I got my 2014 Charger today (and it's freaking awesome). I can now also directly confirm that the Lockpick C8 works exactly as it used to in the new car with no problems, so hopefully this helps give further confidence to other people who might be on the fence.

Thanks again tanbam!
Congrats on your new 2014...just wondering does your car has the 8 speed tranny and if so how did you remove that gearshifter on that...I'm schooled on how to remove the one off a 5 speed tranny my previous was 2012 ....would like to get that lock pick but that shifter looks complicated..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup, I've got the 8-speed on mine - and yes, the different shifter type baffled me a little too, coming from the old 5-speed variant. Fortunately it's actually VERY easy to pull apart. I actually found a diagram on the Mopar website here: https://mopar.chromedata.com//RichContent/CDJRParts/i2306185.jpg

If I recall, the top of the shifter knob just pulls apart gracefully once you pull it in just the right way (may need to use a little bit of force, but it's designed to snap on / off like a lot of the rest of the upholstery). There will then be a hex screw that keeps the bottom of the knob attached to the rest of the shifter; you'll need to undo that and the rest of it should just come off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the 8 speed knob can be swapped for another type? Obviously it would need the button. Not that I don't like the stock shifter, but just curious more than anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yup, I've got the 8-speed on mine - and yes, the different shifter type baffled me a little too, coming from the old 5-speed variant. Fortunately it's actually VERY easy to pull apart. I actually found a diagram on the Mopar website here: https://mopar.chromedata.com//RichContent/CDJRParts/i2306185.jpg

If I recall, the top of the shifter knob just pulls apart gracefully once you pull it in just the right way (may need to use a little bit of force, but it's designed to snap on / off like a lot of the rest of the upholstery). There will then be a hex screw that keeps the bottom of the knob attached to the rest of the shifter; you'll need to undo that and the rest of it should just come off.
Thanks for the info and the link...you are the first to repond to that particular question...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if the 8 speed knob can be swapped for another type? Obviously it would need the button. Not that I don't like the stock shifter, but just curious more than anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Really don't know since that shifter don't move too much and its electronic..maybe they will come up with something

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts

Don't forget to update your car info in your profile, as it still shows you have the 2011 R/T!

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts