Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to post this as an "add-on" to the other posts regarding the lockpick. As clarification for those that may bounce through here without knowing what a LockPick is....It is a device that essentially unlocks the Dodge/Chrysler "MyGig" radios so that you can enter data in the navi while moving and watch DVD video while moving. While I don't think the DVD is a good idea, the Navi bypass is great because now your passenger can enter navi data and destinations while you are moving. Search up Lockpick and you will soon find www.coastaletech.com which is one location that sells it.

The other thing the unit allows you to do is install cameras. You can go with a "rear" or "backup" camera and a front facing camera as well. I went with both b/c I wanted to get a great view while backing up and I wanted to avoid hitting the parking stops/blocks in parking lots.

Since the install of the lockpick itself is not rocket science, I won't go into painful detail. You can find dozens of installs for examples. Instead I will mention what I did for the cameras and how I ran the wires.

I used the cameras from Coastaletech.com. They were a good price, the same as most I have seen in terms of size and options and I only had to get things in one place. Life is too short. The cameras come with all the wires and detailed instructions on the install, so it's straight forward. In both cases the cameras have jumpers to set two options. First is the "reverse video" option and the second is the "Distance Marks" option. The first is for reversing the video when the camera is front mounted. On the rear, you leave it as is so that the left to right orientation is correct on the cameras as you back up. The second is the distance marks. I left them in place and like it a great deal. It gives you a good frame of reference. Not precise by any stretch, but I did not expect them to be. They do however, serve well to give you a general reference.

I'll give you some details on the step by step where I feel it cannot be found on the other installs I have read. The install:

Rear Camera:
1) Remove three interior trunk panels. These are the trunk deck, the rear cover (around the latch) and the right side fender cover. These come out easily with just a push peg removal tool or a flat blade screwdriver. Just be careful not to damage the panels.
2) The plate camera basically sits right above the plate on the rear bumper. there is one wire coming out. I has four leads. Two are the option jumpers mentioned above, one is for power and one for video signal. The wire feeds easily right at the license plate light.
3) Drill two 1/2 inch holes, very close to each other below and just to the right of the trunk latch. I then dremmel (rotary tool) the opening into one oval and smooth out the edges to avoid the wire being damaged.
4) I snaked the wire through with the connectors (Barrel Style power and RCA plug for video) into the trunk. The wire is long enough that I can make the connections in the trunk. Once in, I put in a couple pieces of 3M foam tape at the hole to avoid chaffing. Overkill, but I prefer to be safe. To avoid the possibility of the connectors ever coming loose, I shrink wrap them. They cannot come loose this way. It also helps to avoid anything getting in there you don't want. Water spray, etc. However, since these are in the trunk it's more for a secure connection. (The front is a different story....)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

5) Remove the back seat bottom. This pops out in a second. Just be careful where you place it to not damage the upholstery. You then can pop the right side rear down as need to gain access to the wire run.
6) Since the battery and main fuze box are in the trunk on the SRT8 the running of the wire is simple. I simply followed the path on the wire harness that is already in place to get to the right side of the car. Red arrows show you.

7) Thread the wire under the sound insulation/vapor barrier under the seat following the existing wire harness (on the SRT8, I don't know if it is the case on the other Chargers) all the way to the right rear door jam.
8) Remove the right rear door sill (just pops up easily), the right front pillar cover and the right front door sill. Once you have those off the center pillar cover has two screws (front and back at the floor) that come off to loosen it enought to get the wire passed it easily. For added assurance that it did not move, I tie wrapped the wire to the bundle of wires running passed the pillar. Below is the shot of the wire's path under the center pillar cover at the front seat.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Cont'd

9) From here, you just run the wire up the passger side pillar right to the area behind the glovebox.

At this point I want to mention something..... there is a TON of space everywhere so far. Everything is easy to get to and remove. Everything snaps back cleanly as well. Behind the glove box there is plenty of space and options to run the wire right to the center pod and tie wrap it. I would also like to mention, I tie wrap like a champ. It will take me longer to get everything out, but I get no little rattles later.

Front Camera:

10) Remove the front covers (radiator area) around the latch. They pop out in a second. I also removed the front lower plastic grill. This is done by reaching inside to undo the clips. I have long arms and can reach from above. Once loose I twist it carefully out of the opening to make life easy with the wires.
11) The front camera has the exact same wire options so I wont go into that. It however, is a bracket mounted camera. It is small and barely seen up front. I mounted it to the top of the lower grill opening, dead center.
11) The wire runs right through the palstic grill so that was simple. It's tight, but it will make it. Be careful.
12) I then connected the wires behind the grill. Here I shrink wrapped them again and then put them in a wire sheath. I taped it up in a few places but left the sheath open at a couple of places to let some air in to dry if things get humid. (I live in Florida..... IT GETS HUMID)
13) I ran the wires up the center of the grill. It was easy and completely hides the run. It's like it was made for this. I mounted a few, waterproof, tie wrap plates (you can get them a boating supply stores is Home Depot does not have them) in the path to assure a place to tie the wires securely. Again....overkill, but it will not move.

14) From there the wire runs follows the horn wires into the engine compartment. Once in there, I put the wire in a sheath to protect it a bit from the engine heat and have the install look OEM when looking at the engine bay.

15) Once at the firewall, I carefull snake a wire hanger through the rubber boot that leads into the area behind the glovebox. Here I asked my daughter for 15 minutes of her life and I simply felt for the hange from inside as she pushed it though carefully. Once in, I simply used a flathead screwdriver to stretch the rubber a touch to get the connectors through while she pulled into the compartment. Relatively simple, but this was the worst part of the whole install. So frankly, it was simple with a little effort.

16) Once all the wires are in the glovebox, I simply connected the Lockpick up and connected all the cameras and power plugs. Again, shrink wrapping them to make sure they never come loose and or get any funny interference ideas! Gremlins are everywhere!

Hope this helps somebody considering the same!

Once the cameras are in..... IT IS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!

Lockpick works perfectly as advertised! I will comment on that in another post!

·
Registered
256 Posts
GREAT JOB AND THANKS FOR THE HOW TO!!!
i just got mine from NAV-TV, the ALLGIG and the back up camera. And i'm pretty excited to install it and this is def. gonna help! I'm thinking there are gonna be small / no differences, what do you think?
How long did it take? Will an amateur like me be able to install it or should i consider having it done by someone?
Thanks again, great job!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Kudos for the writeup!:clap:

Just finished this install last week- minus the front camera as of yet. For the back camera I bought a camera from e-bay and installed it in the hole where the lock fits in the trunk (since I haven't used the key in the trunk in the two years I have owned the car.)

Still trying to find the spot for the front camera- your's is a good idea but against the Silver it stands out a bit:beerchug:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GREAT JOB AND THANKS FOR THE HOW TO!!!
i just got mine from NAV-TV, the ALLGIG and the back up camera. And i'm pretty excited to install it and this is def. gonna help! I'm thinking there are gonna be small / no differences, what do you think?
How long did it take? Will an amateur like me be able to install it or should i consider having it done by someone?
Thanks again, great job!
The install is likely to be similar. The NAV-TV version uses a similar connection to the OEM radio, so, for the most part, it should be the same. I know that camera interface is the same.

It took me a while to do it. I would say about 4 hours. Granted, I did not have any experience taking apart the Charger and/or how I was going to run the wires ect. I would guess, given having this info, you should be able to do everything in about 2 hours, maybe 3.

It can be done easily, I would not say you need to be an "experienced" installer. It really is rather simple and the spaces you are dealing with are pretty ample.

Kudos for the writeup!:clap:

Just finished this install last week- minus the front camera as of yet. For the back camera I bought a camera from e-bay and installed it in the hole where the lock fits in the trunk (since I haven't used the key in the trunk in the two years I have owned the car.)

Still trying to find the spot for the front camera- your's is a good idea but against the Silver it stands out a bit:beerchug:

I should take a shot of the installed cameras..... You are right though... You can't see the front camera under the bumper at the lower grill. It is black on black in my case.......

Maybe you could mask the lens and then paint it to match. There are a number of color matching spray options....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any pics of the cameras in action?
Not a problem.....

Here are a pair shots of the front camera. First shot is the full front view. It hides real well against the black car and grill.

This is closer with the flash to light up the grill. You can see it clearly here.

The next two are how the cameras display on the RER display.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow that looks great thanks a lot for that. I hope my camera from NAV-TV will be the same quality. Do you have yourrear one on a license plate holder?
What year is your SRT8? '08?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah the rear camera is at the plate. I have it screwed in with a pair of spanner screws to make it more of a hassle to remove. Just want to avoid theft If possible.

The Car is a 2010. Just got it two weeks ago....

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
That is some cool stuff!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Any pics of the rear camera (from the outside).

JK

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great write up, the only thing that I would add is to check out the Solid Signals website to pick up your lockpick. I got mine from here for $200 shipped, so there's a huge savings from Coastetech and Nav-2-Go...

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any pics of the rear camera (from the outside).

JK
Here you go.....Full rear shot and then a close-up.

The screws are Stainless Steel spanner heads. #14 Threads and 1 Inch long. Just wanted to make it slightly harder to steal if some idiot decides to do it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Very, very cool... may be my next project!.. Clean install.. I wonder how it would look over the plate cover i have on there though.

Thanks for the pics.

Oh and nice ride!

JK

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Hey Luis, did you cam's come with the additional wiring included (yellow video & power cables) or did you have to order them seperate? My cam didnt come with any additional wiring and I know where I can pull power for the cam, but where in the hell do you find a video cable that will reach from the trunk to the back of the double din? How long is your video cable running from the trunk to the nav?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Luis, did you cam's come with the additional wiring included (yellow video & power cables) or did you have to order them seperate? My cam didnt come with any additional wiring and I know where I can pull power for the cam, but where in the hell do you find a video cable that will reach from the trunk to the back of the double din? How long is your video cable running from the trunk to the nav?
Johnny answered it.... My camera came with the required cables. In the case of the coastaletech.com cameras they come with a specific cable. The cable carries power and video in a single wire.

The power for the camera is provided by the lockpick itself. The reason for that is that the unit can control two cameras. The video is connected to the single video input (on the lockpick) via a y-cable. The way the system selects which camera to display is by switching the power on and off on the required camera. In short, I suggest you wire it the way they suggest. ie. Lockpick controls the power. It is simply so much easier. They control the on/off of the cameras based on whether or not you are in reverse, for example.

The cable is 21 feet long. For the rear camera it is almost perfect in length. You will only have a foot or two to spare. The front is a non-issue.

OK?

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
just wondering but does the rear camera go on when put your car in reverse and turn off when it's back on drive or w.e.

and does the mygig allow you to view your iphones music list on the screen ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts