Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from a nearby dealership where I finally saw a Daytona in person. I have to say, the car is absolutely stunning. Pictures just don't do it justice. That being said, they are charging $10,000 over sticker for it. A little note on the window calls it a "Fair Market Adjustment". Is this a common practice with the Daytonas, or is this simply a greedy dealership? If they are charging this much for a Daytona, I can't even imagine how much they are going to mark up the SRT-8.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
gweempose said:
I just got back from a nearby dealership where I finally saw a Daytona in person. I have to say, the car is absolutely stunning. Pictures just don't do it justice. That being said, they are charging $10,000 over sticker for it. A little note on the window calls it a "Fair Market Adjustment". Is this a common practice with the Daytonas, or is this simply a greedy dealership? If they are charging this much for a Daytona, I can't even imagine how much they are going to mark up the SRT-8.
1) they are just a greedy dealer
2) from what I have been told by car salesmen over time, is the "market adjustment" 2nd sticker that the dealers tack on is due to so many people trading in vehicles that they are upside down in....
3) a few of us have daytona's on order for under MSRP

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's been my observation that all dealers in my area tack-on extra price stickers. Some don't call it market adjustment; they just charge you an arm and leg for stupid things like pinstripes or clear coat protection or some other BS...

I really hate dealers for that. Luckily, I got my Charger right after it came off the truck so the dealer couldn't touch it. The floor manager was wicked pissed at the salesman for that...

:cool:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Its just there was of making more money on a new car. Before I ordered my Charger my dealer found one in NC but it was 2 grand more becuase of the fair market crap. I asked if I would have to pay that since I wasn't getting it there, and was told yes because my dealer would have to pay that for it.

Its one of those "since you have to have to be the first with the Charger" we will make you pay more. In time that charge will disappear. I would just go elsewhere.

edward

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
1)

2) from what I have been told by car salesmen over time, is the "market adjustment" 2nd sticker that the dealers tack on is due to so many people trading in vehicles that they are upside down in....
:lie: :lie: :lie: :lie:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My cousin used to sell Mini Coopers prior to taking on a VW/Mazda Sales Manager job. When the Mini's first came out, demand was so high that people were waiting 3-6 months just to have the privilege to pay 5k over sticker for an extra "protection package." Why did they do it, because they could and people were more than happy to pay for it.

Any bad PR that it garnered them was really not noticable since there are only 3 Mini dealerships in Ohio (Mentor (CLE), Cincy and Columbus) and they were ALL doing the same price hike. The biggest difference that might hurt the Dodge dealership that is charging 10k over sticker is that people remember seeing a greedy dealership and usually there are 2-3 other Dodge dealerships within 30 miles.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
GLHS837 said:
:lie: :lie: :lie: :lie:
There is actually truth to that, because the bank will loan more money on the car based on that sticker. This makes it easier to roll debt from an upside-down trade-in into the new car loan. There is a Lincoln-Mercury dealer near me that adds $10k-$15k to all their stickers for that purpose, and they even refer to it as loan value or some cryptic language like that.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Most banks will loan up to 120% of msrp for that purpose, the "fair market value" is designed to make the dealer more money on a particulary hot car. An example; the ZR-1 Corvette when it first came out, was getting close to $100,000 retail...even though the sticker was $65k. With enough positive buzz a "feeding frenzy" can occur, greatly inflating the price. Remember it is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price...Another tidbit, dealerships do not make their money selling new cars, it is in the financing, service and used car ( program cars especially) sales where the money really rolls in.
The average Charger sale may net the dealer $2000, where the program Caravan at $19,999 might net them $6000...The smart dealerships sell their "halo" cars at or below MSRP to bring people in to buy other vehicles. A 10g increase over sticker is just bad management.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RipLoco said:
Check Out Gregorydodge.com and see the real fair deal!!!!
Is Gregory Dodge a good dealership? I've never been there, but I live less than 15 minutes away.

chargershed said:
A 10g increase over sticker is just bad management.
I agree. Not only would I not buy a Daytona from them at that price, but it makes me not want to buy anything from them. I have been to some dealerships that have a strict policy that they will not sell a car for more than MSRP. You have to respect that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Think all this is bad?

come to hawaii. On a new charger SE, the market value is just over 5K, bringing the price to about 28000 :mad:

A SRT-4 with "Adjusted market value (what they call ti down here) is about 25K.
they do charge all that "Paint protection, etched glass, and all that other bull****.

A new charger R/t down here, no options, would go for about 40grand.

so think about it......Median house price in Hawaii is 475,000
dealers are just greedy here...my dad tried to order a magnum before they came out, but he could not get away form the markup.

John

·
Registered
245 Posts
When I first started talking to my dealer about ordering my Daytona, other dealers in town were charging STICKER to +$2000 over for an R/T.
I told them then, that I would not ever pay sticker for a Daytona, let alone over sticker, and if that was their plan, I would go elsewhere. :rolleyes:

When it was settled, I paid $1000 over Invoice. About $1650 below sticker. :clap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts