Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '17 Charger is the first car I've had that doesn't have any kind of spare and I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on preparing for a potential flat. I'm looking at taking a road trip soon and want to have a plan so that I don't ruin the trip if I did get unlucky and got a flat that needed repair or replacing.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I try not to worry about it too much. It's one of those things that if it happens, then it happens.

Between the slime canister in the truck and roadside assistance through a travel club, I figure any issues can be handled.

There are several companies that sell a wheel/ tire combo if it bothers you. They run in the $300-$500 range and are
said to fit within in the spare tire well if you remove the styrofoam thing in the trunk.

Good luck

Exco

·
Registered
500 Posts
Realistically, how often have you mounted the spare tire in your last car? Your last two cars? I'll bet zero times. I can't recall when it was I had to mount a spare tire on any of my previous cars. Of the three cars in my fleet, only my wife's Mazda6 has a spare. We have owned it since 2013 and I have never even seen it. Many cars end up at the junkyard with an unused spare tire still in the trunk, and manufacturers took note. They can save the expense of adding one to new cars and offer more luggage space in the trunk. And with the widespread use of the TPMS on pretty much all new cars these days, the old story of a tire getting low, heating up and going "kaboom" are rare, or non-existent.

So buy a spare if it makes you feel better, but tire technology has greatly improved since the good old days. A bottle of slime and a small electric compressor is all I ever needed in the forty years I spent touring on motorcycles. I also packed along a plug kit in the event that the slime couldn't patch a larger hole than designed. In those 40 + years I only had one occasion where a flat tire stranded me. It was on a KZ650 that was equipped with tires with inner tubes, and this one popped. No amount of slime could have helped me with that. But I digress. I am comfortable with the "spare tire solution" in both my cars without spares.

:serious:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My last car, G8 GT, had no spare. Ran over a God damn railroad spike leaving work! Had to wait for my wife to bring me one of the stock wheels and tires from my garage to work. She was thrilled to get up at 4am, get dressed, load up a spare tire and jack and 4 way lug wrench and drive it to me. I sill hear about it to this damn day!

I'm thrilled my Charger came with a spare tire!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I haven’t used a spare since who knows when, but do keep a tire plug kit in the trunk & have used it.

That being said, my neighbor had his car jacked up for weeks on his driveway. He had some kind of damage or defect on a tire’s sidewall that could not be repaired. He had to send the tire to the manufacturer for warranty & had nothing to put on the car till he got a replacement. Car was out of commission for weeks.

This spare has been previously mentioned .
https://modernspare.com/product/2006-2017-dodge-charger-complete-kit-all-trims/

If I was going to take a long vacation trip I might consider getting a spare. But right now I don't see a need to.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
If you live anywhere near construction your're going to need a spare... I've gotten nails in the PT Cruiser (three times) the Chrysler 300M three times, the Chrysler 200 twice, 2013 Charger twice, all in the last 7 years. Most of the time they were repairable, only had to replace two, but it is still a royal PIA. So far I have been lucky with the 2016, knock on wood...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have always had vehicles that have a spare tire. And in the years that I have been driving, which are lots of them...., I can only think of two times that I have used one of them. I agree with comments here that tire tech is greatly improved and spares are less important. I work in the construction industry however and I am glad that I have spares on my vehicles, though with the TPMS in them, I haven't actually used one. I have been able to get the issue resolved without a full on flat.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I won't travel between Las Vegas and Los Angeles without a spare tire. I know the odds are slim but avoiding the possibility of waiting hours stuck in the middle of nowhere, makes a spare worth it. Got my spare tire from the Daytona that ended up in the junkyard. Figured they had plenty of spares and what's one less....

·
Registered
744 Posts
The spare in my 2018 is very spare lol.
Thought I would never need it until democrat-ruled City of Tampa got fat with our tax money and started pouring
concrete curbs all over the place and restricting being able to drive straight across some intersections.
I missed it with one tire, but trashed the other...drove 2 blocks to get off the road and put on the skinny,
no tread factory spare. Glad I have a Harbor Freight floor jack and 18" breaker bar
above the trunk floor instead of the factory jack.
Kept me mobile until the tire shop ordered another real tire the next day.
That curb is black with tire marks.
I need to hit the you pull it and get a real tire.
The 1/8" tread spare won't last the trip if I have to drive I-4 from Daytona to Tampa or any distance over 50 miles.
I may have to alter the trunk shelf and/or tilt the tire maybe mount the battery in a box above the trunk floor.
...wishing the tire well was big enough to hold a stock wheel/tire.
My only complaint on my Charger.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Get a tire repair kit on Ebay, and an electric tire pump. Don't leave home with out them.

Big John

Reactions: solman98 and Mantis

·
Registered
859 Posts
I actually had to change a tire for the first time recently...and I was traveling in an area I was unfamiliar with in a rental Dodge Journey, with about 5% battery left on my phone because I thought it would be a short trip. Boy I was glad they still put spares in that thing. Would have been like an hour to wait for the roadside assistance, and I probably would have had to walk a ways down the road to buy a charger cable.

That being said though, that was an odd situation, in my own cars I have spares and a compressor and if I didn't have a spare I'd have a slime kit and compressor. I've also got a jump starter, blankets, jacket, paper towels, all sorts of equipment for potentially being stranded (when I had my old Jeep I even had spare hoses, oil & tools to repair transmission lines that tended to fail a lot!) I've waited on roadside too many times for hours to not have equipment to help myself...one time I was at the airport with a dead battery at 1am and the assistance driver could not figure out how to find me...a nice couple helped me eventually but I decided then I'm not going to wait on roadside anymore unless absolutely necessary.

A spare may not be necessary anymore, but you should at the very least have a compressor, jump starter, & slime kit for the most common issues. All for less than the cost of a spare.

Reactions: senor dodge

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I'm not a fan of liquid bubble gum so when I purchased the '19 Scat I reached out to Performance Spare and bought a spare kit.

Get this; the spare arrived flat. SMH. I found a micro pin-hole in the steal wheel that bled down. Rather than toss shade on Performance Spare I have to compliment them on their customer service. They shipped me a replacement without any hesitation and included paperwork so I could FedEx the bad one back. It might be a little inconvenient to go through that but it all worked out fine.

There was also enough space after stowing the spare tire kit to place the emergency slime inflator in there too. Just wrap it up with a towel to keep it from bouncing around. That way it's available to help someone else in a pinch . . . or you can use it to inflate your flat spare. :grin2:

Reactions: senor dodge

·
Registered
475 Posts
I was lucky that the Charger I have had a spare when I bought it. Never used. On my 2013 Kia Soul, they didn't include one. Just a compressor and an inflate/sealing can. I saved a few bucks by just ordering the rim from the dealer and then I went to the junkyard and found a spare tire that fit it (never used either). The rim cost me a little over 100, but the tire was only 15 bucks. Feel much better having a spare in the car. You never know when you'll have a blow-out. And it can get mighty expensive being out in the middle of nowhere. Plus the time it'll take to get where you can get it fixed and then get back. The cost of the rim/tire will be long forgotten when you need it the most.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I actually had to change a tire for the first time recently...and I was traveling in an area I was unfamiliar with in a rental Dodge Journey, with about 5% battery left on my phone because I thought it would be a short trip. Boy I was glad they still put spares in that thing. Would have been like an hour to wait for the roadside assistance, and I probably would have had to walk a ways down the road to buy a charger cable.

That being said though, that was an odd situation, in my own cars I have spares and a compressor and if I didn't have a spare I'd have a slime kit and compressor. I've also got a jump starter, blankets, jacket, paper towels, all sorts of equipment for potentially being stranded (when I had my old Jeep I even had spare hoses, oil & tools to repair transmission lines that tended to fail a lot!) I've waited on roadside too many times for hours to not have equipment to help myself...one time I was at the airport with a dead battery at 1am and the assistance driver could not figure out how to find me...a nice couple helped me eventually but I decided then I'm not going to wait on roadside anymore unless absolutely necessary.

A spare may not be necessary anymore, but you should at the very least have a compressor, jump starter, & slime kit for the most common issues. All for less than the cost of a spare.
You forgot to mention to include an AR15 to discourage Texas tire rim hijackers when you are stranded and waiting. :)
I know some take-no-crap Texans.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had to change a tire on the side of the road once back in 2009. It was on my 2005 dually. I had gotten new tires not long before, and the idiots at Walmart managed to break the plastic tabs on the shiny wheel simulators, so that they would rotate as you drive. So that rotation sliced a hole in my valve stem. Not something fix-a-flat can fix. AND, it was in major BFE with no cell service. 'Course, I had a spare, so I used it.

Here in Arizona, ALL of the cars that I see on the side of the road with tire problem have shredded tires. Something about the roads here, I dunno what, but they like to destroy tires. So I'm gonna spend the $300 on a spare from Performance Spare (thanks to the person who mentioned them). I just have to wait a couple of paydays until my bank account stops smoldering from the car purchase. :)

Rob

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
884 Posts
Get a tire repair kit on Ebay, and an electric tire pump. Don't leave home with out them.

Big John

That looks like a very nice kit. I usually stop by Pep Boys and pick up one of their kits for a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Has anyone with a low hanging Scat plugged a tire installed on the car on the road? A jack does not come with them to raise it up for better access or to remove the wheel to plug and reinstall it.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
884 Posts
I have not but I usually can get in there if the front wheel is turned . The back however can be slightly more challenging but you just lay on your back and get it from underneath the back bumper. A jack would be way better but still doable without. I looked at it after reading this.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts