Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

As an old school driver I would like to disable the ESP and substitute a quality limited slip rear. I like LSD because it allows the driver more control over what is going to happen.

It also is very helpful in low friction surfaces when ESP shuts the power down so much that you can't move.

RACING WITH QUAIFE

Chrysler 300C SRT-8 conquers the One Lap of America 2005 equipped with a Quaife ATB Differential

Erich Heuschele and David Zelkowski piloting the SRT-8 earned 1st place in the Luxury Sedan class and an impressive 6th place overall in this year's One Lap. The Quaife ATB differential developed for the car performed flawlessly, even through all the abuse that a 450 hp 4000 pound car can muster. Erich deserved the title "King of the Smoky Burnout" celebrating the finish. To see more, go to www.onelapofamerica.com or caranddriver.com

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, nice catch. Wonder if this will surface on 07 SRT-8s?
I do know the 03 SRT -4 did not have an ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) LSD due to not having development schedule available. Meaning there was just not enough time to get it in production in time for the 03s.

Oddly enough, the 2003 One Lap SRT-4 did run one. And the 04s got it stock. Are we seeing history repeat itself? I have no isdie knowledge that this is so, for the record, I'm strictly speculating.

2003 SRT-3 = no LSD
2003 One Lap SRT-4 driven by Eric has one
2004 and up SRT-4 = Stock LSD

2005/6 SRT-8s = no LSD
2005 300C SRT-8 and 2006 Charger SRT-8 Targa Newfoudland cars= appear to be so equipped.
2007 SRT-8s = ????? Maybe
(I use both years, since the One Lap car also competed in the Targa, and looking at high-res photos from the Targa, both cars sport Quaiffe logos)

Lastly, MC, are you aware of cases where the ESP acts like you said, where it will not let you move forward? I've not heard of such.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GLHS837 said:
Hmmm, nice catch. Wonder if this will surface on 07 SRT-8s?

Lastly, MC, are you aware of cases where the ESP acts like you said, where it will not let you move forward? I've not heard of such.
Oh yeah! My driveway has a mild grade on it. I have 2 cars with traction control and when it is icy they won't move on it. That is because the moment you start to accelerate the wheels spin and it brakes the wheel. If you turn off the TC you get one wheel spin because you have an open diff and the car still won't move.

I was actually better in my old 95 Impala SS because once you gave it enough gas both wheels would spin and that would generate enough forward motion to get going.

I have not tried the driveway with the DCX ESP though.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sorry, I did not intend to follow your posts around the Forums but I am board at work.

I wanted to say that I am not trying to flame anyone that want's a LSD unit. I too would like a LSD unit because it does allow you to control the rear end, mostly because I like donuts.

I just want to make sure everyone knows that an Open Differential ALWAYS applies torque equally to both axles and the axle's resistance to rotating dictates how much torque can be applied. This is important to understanding how the LX ABS simulates posi traction and why DCX did not offer a LSD.
I cut an pasted some info from another of my post on LSD, open diff and TC.

For torque to be applied there has to be resistance. An open differential always delivers torque equally to both axles. The problem is once a tire looses traction you loose that resistance and it reduces the torque being applied to both axles. If only one tire looses traction the diff is still applying the same amount of torque to both axles, there is just not much torque present because if a lack of resistance.

If traction is close to equal between the tires, you will spin both tires.

I have not been able to only spin one tire unless I am turning or one tire is wet. I have tried with the #17 fuse pulled and with the ESP off but always leave two marks, when going straight.

What the brake system tries to do is make up the lost resistance of the spinning tire by applying the brake to that tire. It only works for slight traction differences though. (this is with ESP in the OFF position)

I know my explanation is probably confusing. It took me a while to grasp it. Search the internet for how differentials work.
I drove my Magnum R/T in the Blue Ridge Mt last winter through a snow storm. With the ESP fully on, I had no problem launching. With the ESP button off, I could spin the tires at any speed. Both tire always spun.
Now this was not deep snow so there may be a plowing affect that may screw up the ESPs function I just don?t see how.
But this sytem should work better in low traction conditions.

Do you have your LX yet?
Do you know anyone with an lx Hemi?
If you have access, try this experiment. Find a road with good grass on the shoulder (Not the smoking kind) pull off so one tire is on the road and one is off and repeat this staging for each of the following test. You want the grass a slick as possible. It will also work on a dirt shoulder.

1.)launch with full throttle and ESP "ON"
2.)Launch with full throttle and ESP "OFF"
3)Launch with as much throttle as tires can take with ESP "ON"
4)Launch with as much throttle as tires can take with ESP "OFF"
5)Launch with as much throttle as tires can take with #17 fuse pulled.
It will take a few tries with #3, #4,and #5 but you should be able to tell the difference and how the brakes transfer torque to the tire with more traction.
________
PARK BEACH CONDO PATTAYA

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks for the info

My cousin has a 300C and I am waiting on my order for a Charger SRT8

Right now I have 3 cars, 2 with traction control and open diffs and 1 with LSD.

The Crown Vic (TC) will not climb my driveway when it is ice covered because the Ford system is so sensitive that it cuts power all the way off. When I turn it off I get 1 wheel spin and no forward movement.

The Impala SS will blast up the driveway getting a little sideways but always moving forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts