Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was buying a new car about a year ago---Charger too big and expensive, and I didn't really like it, thought it was just a big ass heavy car

the other day on an expressway there was an R/T wanting to play- so I punched it

Eventually it started gaining-----

I didn't know they had speed....I don't even know the specs, but now I respect them more than just being a candidate for PIMP MY RIDE

I have an SRT-4 btw

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Dr. SRT said:
I was buying a new car about a year ago---Charger too big and expensive, and I didn't really like it, thought it was just a big ass heavy car

the other day on an expressway there was an R/T wanting to play- so I punched it

Eventually it started gaining-----

I didn't know they had speed....I don't even know the specs, but now I respect them more than just being a candidate for PIMP MY RIDE

I have an SRT-4 btw
What state? and what Highway?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not in NC....that is all I will say
I don't normally speed up--as a matter of fact that day was the fastest i've driven my car---I just couldn't lose it

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I just had to ask. Last week I was on my way back home from Lowes motor speedway in Concord NC and there was this SRT-4 on the highway that was trying to stay up with me. I let him get on the side of me and I held up my fingers asking "What stage?". He held up two. So anyway we played for a few miles then I just had to hit it. Put her to the floor and I was at 125mph no other cars around. the SRT-4 caught up a few miles later after I let up and he yeld at me HOLY $hit that thing is fast. All I said was good thing you do not have stage three. He would have blown me away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need stage anything---but I know thousands of dollars will only get you a little bit of speed

for the 17k investment...I have a nicely balanced car---I used to drive an old school F-body so i'm not used to today's luxuries and can settle for a skittle

·
Registered
263 Posts
You'll find that most people on this board have modded their Chragers to the point where a SRT-4 can't hang. A stock SRT-4 produces better specs than a stock Charger, but who here has a stock Charger? The majority of the mods right now here are light, easy, and cheap mods, such as CAI's, hi-perf exhausts, temp/fan chips, etc. Some of us here are going moderate to heavy mods such as headers, forged internals, cams, superchargers, etc. However, I see that most people have dropped a couple of grand on mods, in comparison to the 10k to 15k sh!t that ricers have to have play in the field (not speaking about the SRT-4; it's a Dodge, this post is not cracking on you, I speak of Honda's, Mistubz, etc.)

I predict as the year (2006) goes on and more mods become in production and start getting a tad cheaper, plus to say the fact that the damn ECM hasn't been cracked yet, many of us will be putting 450+ hp at the tires (R/T...the SRT-8 will be total balls by that time). Also as the warrenties give a little, people will start messing with N20, we may see runs in the 11's. Not bad for a 4200 pound sedan is it?

I hear of people with Magnum R/T's dropping over 600hp off the line and the Magnum SRT-8's dropping up to 750+ hp. Dude, that is balls...total testicles. Of course, they are running completely modded engines, exhausts, trans, rear, breathing N20, the works...but still...a wagon running in the high 9's, low 10's? Balls I say...t-e-s-t-i-c-l-e-s. The Magnum has a couple of years of a jump on the Charger...the day will come for the Charger, it is still in its infancy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, if you have the money---it looks like a pretty good base....many big engines have potential.
since the release of dodge's new "muscle" cars..there will be a lot more enthusiasm, and consequently, meets for the Mopar....the next decade should be a lot of fun for all of us

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Guys? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Ant, if a Stage 2 could'nt at least keep up, it was just plain not working right:) Given that Stage 2 cars end up at least in the 13s, with most being at or below 13.7-13.6. A Stage 2 car should trap at 105-108 on street tires.

And Dag, I'm not agreeing with most Chargers being modded that far. As you note, its mostly exhaust (cat back in most cases) and intake. Which I'm pretty sure puts it right in the 14.0 area, exactly where a bone stock SRT-4 sits. Daytonas and R/T packages a hair better.

Of course, we dont have a huge amount a dragstrip times to draw on yet. DAg, where are these high HP cars you speak of ? I know the Hennesy SRT-8 car has pushed +550 and the GS guys are over 500 as well, but 750? And 650? I dont recall seeing those numbers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Guys? I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. Ant, if a Stage 2 could'nt at least keep up, it was just plain not working right:) Given that Stage 2 cars end up at least in the 13s, with most being at or below 13.7-13.6. A Stage 2 car should trap at 105-108 on street tires.

And Dag, I'm not agreeing with most Chargers being modded that far. As you note, its mostly exhaust (cat back in most cases) and intake. Which I'm pretty sure puts it right in the 14.0 area, exactly where a bone stock SRT-4 sits. Daytonas and R/T packages a hair better.

Of course, we dont have a huge amount a dragstrip times to draw on yet. DAg, where are these high HP cars you speak of ? I know the Hennesy SRT-8 car has pushed +550 and the GS guys are over 500 as well, but 750? And 650? I dont recall seeing those numbers.
This is what I said about the most peoples mods here:
DAGUMMIT said:
The majority of the mods right now here are light, easy, and cheap mods, such as CAI's, hi-perf exhausts, temp/fan chips, etc.
I'll dig the article up on the 600+HP source here in a minute. About the 750+, there is a big population of Magnums here in N.Va and I talk to some here and there at gas stations and such, look at their engines, etc. They are the ones that tell me of the 750 (a testicle staggering 755 to be exact). Of course, that could be debatable, but that is why I stated that "I hear of". I have also downloaded mpegs in the past from KaZaa of Magnum dyno's in the high 600's and clips where Magnums are at the strip and jerking the front tires off the ground on launch.

Let me go find that 600+HP article now.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0403phr_hemi/

This is only modern Hemi article I cam across. and there is a 600hp quote, this one.

Even with the limitations on valve lift brought about by the stock rocker, the cylinder head has more than enough flow potential to clear the 600-hp barrier and probably do it (relatively speaking) with ease
My point about the mods was this one quote of yours:)

You'll find that most people on this board have modded their Chragers to the point where a SRT-4 can't hang.
My point was that the mods most folks here have not yetmodded to the point where SRT-4s "cant hang". The average modded Charger here has just reached the point where it's a dead match for the average stock SRT-4, about the 14.0 range.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have an '04 Subaru WRX in addition to my Charger R/T. I Know the WRX isn't as fast as a modded SRT-4 but it's just a few ticks off. My Charger pulls like freight train on a rolling start but I know I could take the Charger off the line for at least a couple hundred feet in my WRX, but, I'm also certain that the Charger would come roaring by after that. It's no suprise to me that when someone gets into a head-to-head with one of the fast four-bangers that those cars don't stand a chance against a Charger on a rolling start like pulling onto an expressway. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The big difference between the WRX and -4 is that after 0-6o, your AWD costs you. See, the -4 doesnt just drop off in power after the 1/4. It keeps pulling strong right up til the top end of 150. it's in 4th til 120mph.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
GLHS837 said:
Bill I am not sure if his car was running good or not but from the rolling start we were all ready at about 65 mph he stayed with me until about 110mph Could be he just got scared I don’t know. I know the power of an SRT-4 and that is why I said if he had stage three he would have blown my doors off. Another friend of mine has a stage two SRT-4 and we were also playing around that same weekend at the speedway and he said he thinks it would be an awesome drag between our two cars. I just do not know I am not a big drag racer. I know you have one and you are proud of it. I just like to have a little fun with any car on an empty highway.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Oh, I'm not doubting you at all, Ant. Its real easy to scew up a Stage 2 install and not know it. There is an adjustment to be made to the wastegate adapter which by itself can cripple it. Then theres the very good chance of a boost leak, which let you feel like your faster, when in fact your not.

Heck, I thought I was great gobs faster with mine, I was seeing 20 psi, and it certainly felt faster. Then I went to the track and discovered that my times were similar, and my trap speeds were actually worse!!!!!! I ended up personally speaking with Ethan Bayer (sp?), Mopar drivetrain/Stage kit engineer.

He explaind that over 18 psi, the turbo heats up the air so much it's "like a blowtorch". Which led the computer to pull timing, killing my power up top. Once I fixed my boost leaks, my boost dropped to 18, but my trap speeds went from 98 to 106.

The point is that there are, sadly, many Stage 2 cars with owners who feel faster, when in fact they are not. (Whoops, just realized how badly the above could be taken, I'm referring to Stage 2s ONLY :happy: ) I'm all for having fun, believe me. C6, Viper, whatever. Heck, I'll put on a show for a Honda:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
GLHS837 said:
My point was that the mods most folks here have not yetmodded to the point where SRT-4s "cant hang". The average modded Charger here has just reached the point where it's a dead match for the average stock SRT-4, about the 14.0 range.
Agree to disagree...

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
You cant just disagree:) This isnt an opinion thing:) Show me any Charger on here besisdes need4SRTs that a stock SRT cant hang with.

·
Registered
263 Posts
BSUfanatic said:
...I know I could take the Charger off the line for at least a couple hundred feet in my WRX, but, I'm also certain that the Charger would come roaring by after that.
There is not much in production (within its class) that can take a Charger off a rolling start, the thing acts possessed when you punch it at about 20 mph. The ONLY reason anything (again, within its class) can take it from a dead stop is due to its immense weight.

This dude at work (in a 350Z) looks at 0-60 times for racing comparison. Dude, look at the quarter mile and if you want to be honest about it, look at the half mile. I have a suspicion that the Charger will manhandle about anything out there on a half mile with that 125 mph govener disabled (within class...and I mean, not a freaking Lamborghini, Ferrari, Ford GT, or sh!t like that).

Weight on a car is a killer, but for a two plus ton machine to run in the low 14's is unreal (stock).

·
Registered
263 Posts
GLHS837 said:
You cant just disagree:) This isnt an opinion thing:) Show me any Charger on here besisdes need4SRTs that a stock SRT cant hang with.
I am sorry sir, I CAN disagree. It IS that simple. I have looked at the specs. I have compared peoples track times with a slightly modded Charger in comparison to a stock SRT-4. The damn thing can't hang with it period.

Don't you think it is about time that you start being more optimistic about the Chargers performance capabilities? I mean sh!t, you are a freaking moderator on a Charger board! Come to the defense of the thing instead being at the offense. And I am tired of hearing "I only look at facts" sh!t. The facts are that a freaking SRT-4 (stock) can't out run a modded Charger.

Look, I'll put my money where my mouth is. I have $1000 on the line for any poser in a stock SRT-4 against my Charger R/T with the Road and Track package, K&N 63 Series CAI, Magnaflow Catback exhaust, and Dynatech SuperMaxx headers. I will assure you that they can't beat me. period. (Now, keep in mine I get my Magna's installed Tues. and I will overnight the fucl<ing headers to me if there are any takers!)

Now that my blood pressure is up, I have to go wash my car to cool off.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
GLHS837 said:

GLHS, remember this is the same cornball from prevoius posts saying that the charger R/T will beat an M3!!!!

I drove the stage 2 neon, that car is a rocket!!!

And before Daggimit starts talking ****, I just came from the srt track experience and drove vipers, srt-8's, srt-6's and srt-4's. I have driven the daytona and Its fast, not as fast as any of the srt's......sorry

1 - 20 of 42 Posts