Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this has been beat to death in other threads but I can't help but notice there are a few postings where people claim they turn off the ESP, nail the gas 3/4s of the way and presto, they lay a 20 foot patch. No break torquing at all.

I wanta know if this is the norm or the exception. All my car does is a 5 foot chirp. It's fast but unless the pavement is wet the tires don't really break loose. I have 3000 km on the car.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no brake torquing at all and they claim they can lay a patch. When I don't brake torque I get no more than 5 feet of chirping.

What about other RT drivers ??

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
noggy_t_doggy said:
Ok, I know this has been beat to death in other threads but I can't help but notice there are a few postings where people claim they turn off the ESP, nail the gas 3/4s of the way and presto, they lay a 20 foot patch. No break torquing at all.

I wanta know if this is the norm or the exception. All my car does is a 5 foot chirp. It's fast but unless the pavement is wet the tires don't really break loose. I have 3000 km on the car.
keep in mind that the type of road surface, temp, humidity and even altitude (affects air density) will all be variables on this...

DRT

·
Registered
245 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
keep in mind that the type of road surface, temp, humidity and even altitude (affects air density) will all be variables on this...

DRT
This is very true some days it will burn the rubber of the tires but other days not even a chirp. A newly paved road works wonders for a 20 ft double black line. Car runs better and faster when it cooler and if combine all this you'll get a pretty decent smoke episode.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
GotACharger said:
This is very true some days it will burn the rubber of the tires but other days not even a chirp. A newly paved road works wonders for a 20 ft double black line. Car runs better and faster when it cooler and if combine all this you'll get a pretty decent smoke episode.
agree 100% with this one.....last sunday i went to get donuts for the wife and kids at 8am, it was cool out (75) and the road had some fairly fresh pavement (about 3 months ago)....turned esp off and then stomped on the gas (no brake) and left a 15 foot patch.. <flash back to today> same spot with 90 degree heat and over 200%humidity......not even a chirp.

still haven't gotten any real smoke....i have "power" braked on a burnout and it went pretty well. i really hope the gsm esp mod helps out on this tire burning (i was embarrassed the other day when my friend said lay some tire - and couldn't)......

·
Registered
245 Posts
(i was embarrassed the other day when my friend said lay some tire - and couldn't)......
Yes it's a pain and it dosen't when you want it to..... People expect this car with the HEMI to leave a little rubber DAMN THAT ESP! We will find a way around it sooner or later. Really not going to mod too much untill waranty is up so.....by then everyone should have figured some way around it and it will be tried an tested so if there are more than one option I can choose the best one. :happy:

·
Registered
441 Posts
When i first got the car, i could lay 20 ft patches easy, and get sideways with just 3/4 throttle, now it will do like 10 or so, but wit power braking it much bigger, did one earlier the week leaving school, was probly 50+ ft long, probly could have been bigger but i had to slow down for the speed bump, tires didn't really any smoke tho, never the less i was happy wit it. oh and then the principal called later that day saying that if i do it agian im not allowed to drive to school for a few months, so last day of school im gonna lay a nice patch :rockon:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
before anyone jumps him........he lives in ontario!!! if i lived in the hemi's dream air i would be laying patches like that all over the place also. i am jealous.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just a thought here...

I know like the rest of you, You and your friends expect the HEMI to be able to smoke the tires to the rims, but before you get too carried away trying to impress everyone, CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF REPLACEMENT TIRES.

You'll probably leave the ESP on a little more often. :happy:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
when i blew out my first tire i purchased two additional tires b/c they are impossible to find around (had to internet order), so i have two extras sitting in my shed screaming to get some rotation in....besides i am just looking for a reason to melt these things so i can upgrade to the bfg kw2 tires.

i don't plan on using this 24/7.....i look at it like this....now i will have the esp "off" switch that the charger srt8 has..... :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Waited37Years said:
CHECK OUT THE PRICE OF REPLACEMENT TIRES.
They arent that bad. $165 for the replacement michelins is not bad at all, consisdering the tires for my truck were in the $275 a piece range for 285/75/R16's (4 tires, mount/balance, pro rated warranty and alignment = $1,100, ad in the cost of the new rims...). So, I can get 8 tires for the charger at the price of 4 or my old truck, to me, these tires are cheap.....

just my opinion tho.....

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
money is in the eye of the beholder.....i am young, dumb and no retirement......37years later is probably writing from a small island (that he owns) b/c he saved all of his money and didn't waste any like us........ok now i am sad and jealous...must change lifestyle....must save money.....(devil in me) go spin your tires you will feel better...nooooooo :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
245 Posts
GoDaddy said:
money is in the eye of the beholder.....i am young, dumb and no retirement......37years later is probably writing from a small island (that he owns) b/c he saved all of his money and didn't waste any like us........ok now i am sad and jealous...must change lifestyle....must save money.....(devil in me) go spin your tires you will feel better...nooooooo :happy: :happy:
I wish I owned my own island...but I still work for a living just like everyone else.

I priced the Michelins that come on the Daytona at a local tire store the includes mounting, balancing, and free front end allignment at installation of a set of 4. Plus life time balance and rotation. They quotes me $249 each for the tires. $249*4*6.5% tax=$1060.74 . Thats why I'm doing very few demonstrations.
I just leave the ESP on, get max traction, and blow their doors off. :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Waited37Years said:
I wish I owned my own island...but I still work for a living just like everyone else.

I priced the Michelins that come on the Daytona at a local tire store the includes mounting, balancing, and free front end allignment at installation of a set of 4. Plus life time balance and rotation. They quotes me $249 each for the tires. $249*4*6.5% tax=$1060.74 . Thats why I'm doing very few demonstrations.
I just leave the ESP on, get max traction, and blow their doors off. :happy: :happy:

Tirerack.com has the michelins that are on the daytona for 169.00 plus $89 (I think) for the 4 tire road hazzard warranty....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sure why, but when I first turn my car on and the engine is nice and cool I can get those tires spinning like a bat out of hell, once the engine is warm on a nice NYC day in august it is tough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts