Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was hoping one of you would have had some experience on a particular issue I have been having. I drive a 2008 dodge Charger R/T AWD with the 5.7 Hemi (180,000 KMS). My issue is that it appears to have intermittent lifter tapping and it has become a rather annoying issue. I have been to the shop and have tried changing my oil, doing an engine flush, and even attempting the long shot of using seafoam. I will be the first to admit my understanding of automotive parts or theory is not my strong suit. I have just been going on what my mechanics have told me. My main mechanic (close friend) has been working with me trying to avoid what I believe may be the inevitable of having to replace all my lifters ($1500 repair). I have had two different mechanic friends look into my car and the thing that has them trying alternative fix solutions is that once I go onto the highway (I.E RPM's past 2000) my lifter taping will go away and tends to stay away until I do an hour or two of in town driving (lower RPM's). whats really odd is that even with the occasional drive around town my lifter tap will once again go away even operating at low RPM's. My second mechanic friend has just recently looked into my issue and says that I should even try a thicker oil. His thought is that since my issue goes away when driving my car at higher RPM's causing more pressure to push the oil through, that I should try and use the thicker oil creating the same effect at lower RPM's. I know that dodge suggests only using 5w-20 but I have also read of people going to 5w-30 in their chargers with no side effects

Anyways, Im wondering if you guys have had this issue or if you have any thoughts on this matter. Do you think I should just go ahead with a lifter repair or should I still seek other possible fixes? does this intermittent effect sound out of the regular for a typical faulty lifter replacement? I have been told that the tapping or ticking is not causing any damage and that it is just an annoyance more then anything. Lucas oil stabilizer is another thing I was told I should try.

I will upload the video of my lifters tick I took a few weeks ago. I just took this second video an it appears to have a little bit of the noise still but its drastically reduced. This is 24 hours since my last trip on the highway so the noise will start creeping back up to full potential. Usually after a week or so of no highway driving my tick can actually be even louder then the first one. Hopefully this all helps. let me know if more info is needed

Derek

Lifter tick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIEI58riWpY&feature=youtu.be

No tick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QD3_SKR4dU&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hey guys,

I was hoping one of you would have had some experience on a particular issue I have been having. I drive a 2008 dodge Charger R/T AWD with the 5.7 Hemi (180,000 KMS). My issue is that it appears to have intermittent lifter tapping and it has become a rather annoying issue. I have been to the shop and have tried changing my oil, doing an engine flush, and even attempting the long shot of using seafoam. I will be the first to admit my understanding of automotive parts or theory is not my strong suit. I have just been going on what my mechanics have told me. My main mechanic (close friend) has been working with me trying to avoid what I believe may be the inevitable of having to replace all my lifters ($1500 repair). I have had two different mechanic friends look into my car and the thing that has them trying alternative fix solutions is that once I go onto the highway (I.E RPM's past 2000) my lifter taping will go away and tends to stay away until I do an hour or two of in town driving (lower RPM's). whats really odd is that even with the occasional drive around town my lifter tap will once again go away even operating at low RPM's. My second mechanic friend has just recently looked into my issue and says that I should even try a thicker oil. His thought is that since my issue goes away when driving my car at higher RPM's causing more pressure to push the oil through, that I should try and use the thicker oil creating the same effect at lower RPM's. I know that dodge suggests only using 5w-20 but I have also read of people going to 5w-30 in their chargers with no side effects

Anyways, Im wondering if you guys have had this issue or if you have any thoughts on this matter. Do you think I should just go ahead with a lifter repair or should I still seek other possible fixes? does this intermittent effect sound out of the regular for a typical faulty lifter replacement? I have been told that the tapping or ticking is not causing any damage and that it is just an annoyance more then anything. Lucas oil stabilizer is another thing I was told I should try.

I will upload the video of my lifters tick I took a few weeks ago. I just took this second video an it appears to have a little bit of the noise still but its drastically reduced. This is 24 hours since my last trip on the highway so the noise will start creeping back up to full potential. Usually after a week or so of no highway driving my tick can actually be even louder then the first one. Hopefully this all helps. let me know if more info is needed

Derek

No tick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QD3_SKR4dU&feature=youtu.be
You might want to check the cam with that mileage,new lifters might not help if cam is worn,and putting heavier oil will most likely give you a code!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, I appreciate the response richD. I will pass that along to my mechanic tomorrow and get him to check that out too. Just to be clear the 180,000 is kilometres and not miles. No idea how long these engines are suppose to last for, but I was hoping to keep this one going until 220,000kms until I get my new
car.
Other then that, is there anything else that should be checked? I'd hate to go through with the repair and find out it was not my solution (if at all possible)

Derek

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the response richD. I will pass that along to my mechanic tomorrow and get him to check that out too. Just to be clear the 180,000 is kilometres and not miles. No idea how long these engines are suppose to last for, but I was hoping to keep this one going until 220,000kms until I get my new
car.
Other then that, is there anything else that should be checked? I'd hate to go through with the repair and find out it was not my solution (if at all possible)

Derek
I know 180,000KMS comes out to 111K + miles which is a lot for a cam depending on maintenance.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey guys,

I was hoping one of you would have had some experience on a particular issue I have been having. I drive a 2008 dodge Charger R/T AWD with the 5.7 Hemi (180,000 KMS). My issue is that it appears to have intermittent lifter tapping and it has become a rather annoying issue. ... Hopefully this all helps. let me know if more info is needed

Derek

MY is doing exactly the same.

Did you ever get that fixed. ?

And what did you do to fix that. ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey, it did get fixed.

I originally gave my mechanic the go ahead to replace all my lifters. Once he opened up the engine it turned out to just be one lose lifter causing the noise. The reason the noise kept going away after running high rpms on the highway was because it produced enough pressure to temporarily put the lifter back in place. After driving around town it no longer had the required pressure so it would come lose and make the sound again. So, my mechanic properly locked the lifter back in place and I have been noise free for months. So, in the end the only cost was labour to open up the engine . I didn't need to replace any of the lifters.

Hope this helps, I think I landed a best case scenario on this issue. All I can say is hopefully you know an honest mechanic. I'm sure he could have just as easily put the new lifters in anyways and charged me a lot of extra $$. I'd suggest posting a video and thread like I have done, the people here were more then welcoming of helping out through private and public messages. Unfortunalty you probably just won't know the exact problem until someone opens up the engine.

@richd just incase you wanted to know the outcome too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts