Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 TorRed Charger Scatpack Daytona
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

In the market for some frames or holders. Eventually I'll be getting a vanity plate though I'm not sure what to put. Been toying with some ideas. In my jurisdiction I can have up to 8 character and I think I want two words with a space somewhere in there....
"A personalized license plate message may be created using almost any combination of letters and numbers. Passenger and commercial plates may have 2 to 8 characters. Motorcycles may have 2 to 5 characters. " Source: Here.

In terms of frames/holders I was thinking of a generic black one in the front with a shield in front to protect the plate....and in the back a black one that says Daytona. Having a heck of a time finding that though.

Anyone got a good source that ships to Canada?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
In terms of frames/holders I was thinking of a generic black one in the front with a shield in front to protect the plate....and in the back a black one that says Daytona. Having a heck of a time finding that though.
I used the weather tech ones for a couple years - ended up throwing it away as it started yellowing and the pitting was horrible:
In retrospect - I could've wet sanded and clear coated it again.

Canadian tire carries some for a lot cheaper - I'd avoid the smoked ones as that is asking for trouble.

Or poke around on the interwebs: Dodge Charger License Plate Frames by Mopar Factory - AllMoparParts.com
Just be prepared to pay extra fees if you decide to import cross border...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the weather tech ones for a couple years - ended up throwing it away as it started yellowing and the pitting was horrible:
In retrospect - I could've wet sanded and clear coated it again.

Canadian tire carries some for a lot cheaper - I'd avoid the smoked ones as that is asking for trouble.

Or poke around on the interwebs: Dodge Charger License Plate Frames by Mopar Factory - AllMoparParts.com
Just be prepared to pay extra fees if you decide to import cross border...
Thanks! I've seen all of those links aside from the weather tech ones. I'm not able to find one that says DAYTONA. I admit I took only a 5 minute look through ebay, will do again a little later today when work load subsibes...Still need to find a damn rear valence too seems theres a shortage on those haha.

Edit: Did you try to claim warranty on the weather tech plates?

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
61 Posts
Check Amazon. Specifically the following ASIN numbers: (just type the number into the search box)
B07YC78PKJ - These are rubber cases for the plates. It keep them from rattling. the add the frame
B009GN5SRW - This is a snazzy Daytona Frame

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check Amazon. Specifically the following ASIN numbers: (just type the number into the search box)
B07YC78PKJ - These are rubber cases for the plates. It keep them from rattling. the add the frame
B009GN5SRW - This is a snazzy Daytona Frame
Same issue there though, 30+ for the frame itself, then 20-30+ for the shipping? in USD....

Not including whatever duty is charged. It's toooo much.

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
61 Posts
Got a friend just this side of the border? LOL

·
Registered
2020 Charger Scat Pack
61 Posts
Hey all,

In the market for some frames or holders. Eventually I'll be getting a vanity plate though I'm not sure what to put. Been toying with some ideas. In my jurisdiction I can have up to 8 character and I think I want two words with a space somewhere in there....
"A personalized license plate message may be created using almost any combination of letters and numbers. Passenger and commercial plates may have 2 to 8 characters. Motorcycles may have 2 to 5 characters. " Source: Here.

Anyone got a good source that ships to Canada?

Thanks in advance
A bright red Daytona, just screams Ricky Bobby. Not sure you are a fan, and it may be taken already. You could go with "SHAKNBAK" LOL

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I just got the clear canadian tire ones. If your getting a peronalized plate, I think your in Ontario.
Once you get the plate, go to Canadian Tire and pick up a can of DupiColour Clear Coat spray. Give your plates a few good coats to prevent the plate for pealing and breaking down. As you know the Ontario plate a cheap junk with poor paint. The clear protects them from moisture damage that a plate cover can't protect against.
Your plates are expensive, protect them, and let us know what you selected.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Once you get the plate, go to Canadian Tire and pick up a can of DupiColour Clear Coat spary. Give your plates a few good coats to prevent the plate for pealing and breaking down. As you know the Ontario plate a cheap junk with poor paint. The clear protects them from moisture damage that a plate cover can't protect against.
Great advice. Never thought about it.
The way our plates are made, caused me to leave them uncovered, unframed, nothing fancy, random combination.
I like their simple design and small blue crown.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Clear won't help. It could actually make it worse over time because the material they use wasn't meant to be painted. If you use a cover make sure it doesn't come in contact with the plate because if it starts rubbing thru the peeling usually starts from that spot.

They really need to go back to using the original manufacturer. We have ones from when they started with the sticker plates that still look like new.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Clear won't help. It could actually make it worse over time because the material they use wasn't meant to be painted. If you use a cover make sure it doesn't come in contact with the plate because if it starts rubbing thru the peeling usually starts from that spot.

They really need to go back to using the original manufacturer. We have ones from when they started with the sticker plates that still look like new.
Nope, did plates that are now over 18 years old and they look like new. So its perfectly safe. Do all my plates, never had an issue. Most plates that old, the paint has fell off, water gets under the paint and the plates peal. None of mine have that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nope, did plates that are now over 18 years old and they look like new. So its perfectly safe. Do all my plates, never had an issue. Most plates that old, the paint has fell off, water gets under the paint and the plates peal. None of mine have that.
It's almost luck of the draw. I've never done anything to my plates and never had problems either unless they were physically damaged or came with issues. Which is more common with 8 character plates.

The ones that are over 18 years old usually didn't have problems unless they get damaged. You don't have to do anything to them and they can still look like new.
They aren't painted it's a reflective stick on material that dries out and breaks down over time. Most of the bad ones started in the B series. Its mainly one manufacturer and certain runs from others that have problems so the ones that last are the good ones or cars that aren't cooking out in the sun all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts