Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I'd been reading lately, the sales on chargers have decreased since the last model was released. Even though the 2011+ Chargers have more powerful and fuel efficient engines, they don't look appealing to the public. They don't look like a muscle car or like a luxury car. It's just something in between and luxury lovers will look for more economic cars while muscle car lover will look for more aggressive looking cars like the Camaro. However, the 2011 Chargers got better engines that attracted muscle car users.

I own a 250HP 3.5L V6 and I wanted to super/turbocharge it but when I saw the 2011 Pentastar engine, I decided to sell my engine and get the 2011 with over 40 HP and better gas mileage.

What I'm trying to say is that Chrysler made lots of good engine for the new chargers which aren't being sold, if a bunch of people make a request and ask for engine swapping or old engine for new ones for a reasonable price, we can get better engines in our car that can be modified later and Chrysler will make lots of sales and will have lots of engines to recycle! :)

If you think this is a bad idea speak up. And if think this is a good idea and if you can add any other reasons why this is a good idea, post up!

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
From what I'd been reading lately, the sales on chargers have decreased since the last model was released. Even though the 2011+ Chargers have more powerful and fuel efficient engines, they don't look appealing to the public. They don't look like a muscle car or like a luxury car. It's just something in between and luxury lovers will look for more economic cars while muscle car lover will look for more aggressive looking cars like the Camaro. However, the 2011 Chargers got better engines that attracted muscle car users.

I own a 250HP 3.5L V6 and I wanted to super/turbocharge it but when I saw the 2011 Pentastar engine, I decided to sell my engine and get the 2011 with over 40 HP and better gas mileage.

What I'm trying to say is that Chrysler made lots of good engine for the new chargers which aren't being sold, if a bunch of people make a request and ask for engine swapping or old engine for new ones for a reasonable price, we can get better engines in our car that can be modified later and Chrysler will make lots of sales and will have lots of engines to recycle! :)

If you think this is a bad idea speak up. And if think this is a good idea and if you can add any other reasons why this is a good idea, post up!
Hold on, I'm confused, you're saying you want Chrysler to just take the engines out of the bodies and sell the engines? How would this help sales? So what do they do with all those empty bodies?

"...they don't look appealing to the public. They don't look like a muscle car or like a luxury car." This also doesn't make sense, our first generation LX's look pretty damn similar to the 2011's. And ours don't have any more of a muscle look than the new ones and our generation definitely have no luxury look to them, comfort sure, but it's far from luxury. So I'm not sure what your point is here. Also, how do you know the look isn't appealing? I like the look, my friends like the look, even my girlfriend, so where did you get this idea from?

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Lol to the first comment

BUT why would you swap a V6 for another V6 ?????????

If you gonna swap your engine then go big or go home

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Wow - TeeJizzle - way to go to respect someone’s thoughts. I see you have constructive criticism.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There simply isnt a big enough market for chrysler to do something like that. Especially with the economy i cant see them making any money at all.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

Sales are down in this segment across the board. Its got nothing to do with the styling at all, just a weak economy!

Post a pic of the Pentastar engine in your car, this I gotta see!!!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Tyrek, your idea doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of things that don't make sense about it for example, If the cars are not selling, then they would have a bunch of 'cars' sitting around. Not a bunch of 'engines'. Also I think it makes more sense to just get a V8 charger then supercharge a V6 or swap the engine. And why would they want a bunch of 'recycled' engines?!?

I mean it just doesn't make any sense?! I mean what are you some kind of idiot? <---------- I'm just kidding really, last line was a joke! :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
283 Posts
This is getting rather amusing, some of you guys have to learn to really say what you mean, more comments please, lol

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Less actually. I've had to do enough cleanup already.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
not quite, you missed one :)

since when did it become ok to attack each other in this forum? Remember, I go from nice to cranky in about one personal attack.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Aww, but mine was a quote from Billy Madison, :D but very well.

I was saying that people buy crate engines from respected vendors on this site, which is probably a cheaper alternative than asking Dodge for just a new 6.4 to drop in your SXT or R/T. But Dodge just sell crate engines I believe which is essentially what you're talking about. I'm not sure if they do regular V6's or just the higher end 426's and the like.

Honestly though I have never done any of this I am just using knowledge I have gathered from being on this forum.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

Not sure what you are trying to gain here:confused:. Swapping a 250hp V6 for a 290hp V6 isn't a good investment no matter how you look at it. Besides, it's probably not even possible.

An easier and less expensive way to get 40 extra HP is to upgrade the exhaust (that doesn't mean bigger), mill the heads for more compression, get a Predator, have a custom tune installed, and install a cheap 50 hp shot of nitrous. For less than 3,000.00 (assuming you can do some of the work yourself) you can add between 50 and 100 hp to your 3.5.

Or just drop a S/C in there for about $6K. E

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, 1st, let me explain why I said what I said about the looks

Any of you noticed the difference between a 2004 lancer Evo and a Rally Art besides the hood, spoiler and body kit? It's the edges around the wheels, the look muscle like, just like 2006-2010 Chargers, Unlike the 2011 Charger.
More Luxurious? Look at the details on the front doors, those designs don't really make the car more aerodynamic, they are just plain unnecessary. Anything a car has that doesn't help the car's performance or gives it an aggressive look it's just plain luxury...

About engine swapping. I know it doesn't make much sense but I went the a Chrysler Dealer and asked about the price for a 2011 engine and I was pretty surprised when I found out it was around 55-60% less than what I was hoping. The guy told me that the reason was that the Chrysler group was expecting to get a lot more sales than they had in the first months and he showed me how many cars they had in stock waiting to be sold, and he also told me that for each car the make, they also make 1/5's to 2/5's engines for replacements, so if they made 100 Chargers, they should be 20 to 40 engines sitting somewhere waiting to be bought for replacements due to accidents or malfunction. The thing is that the dealer got 18 chargers and had only sold 3 and they had 4 stock engines sitting somewhere. I asked if they could install one on my Charger and they told me they couldn't, they only swap part with other original parts for the car and if I wanted to do that, there was a procedure in which I required to get signatures and get many Charger owners to ask for this. The engine wont do a direct fit, there are a few attachments to me made which would cost and extra 90-120$ in pieces if the Chrysler group were to agree and produce these parts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gains from this besides 40 extra horsepower?

- A brand-new 0 miles engine which will boost the car's price 2,000-3,500$ when you update your car's insurance
- An easier modifiable engine that can handle more boost pressure
- Better gas mileage

I know there area lot of V6 haters here, I'm gonna to do it myself anyway and post the car's specs after I'm done modifying the engine next summer.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Gains from this besides 40 extra horsepower?

- A brand-new 0 miles engine which will boost the car's price 2,000-3,500$ when you update your car's insurance
- An easier modifiable engine that can handle more boost pressure
- Better gas mileage

I know there area lot of V6 haters here, I'm gonna to do it myself anyway and post the car's specs after I'm done modifying the engine next summer.
Easier to modify?? Compared to what? I doubt you can even find an engine builder that has any upgrades to offer for a 3.6. Most people are complaining that they can't get a tuner for any version of the 2011 Dodge.

Before there is enough demand that will support an aftermarket you have to have sales. The 3.6 has only been in production for 1 year. The 3.5L was in production for 18 years.

Then you have the 4.0L. It is based off the 3.5 with different bore and stroke. Just drop that in and have a custom tune done if you must have a V6.

Again, I would just do a few mechanical upgradesto the engine and drop a S/C in their.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
OK, 1st, let me explain why I said what I said about the looks

Any of you noticed the difference between a 2004 lancer Evo and a Rally Art besides the hood, spoiler and body kit? It's the edges around the wheels, the look muscle like, just like 2006-2010 Chargers, Unlike the 2011 Charger.
More Luxurious? Look at the details on the front doors, those designs don't really make the car more aerodynamic, they are just plain unnecessary. Anything a car has that doesn't help the car's performance or gives it an aggressive look it's just plain luxury...
You do realize you're talking about a 2-ton Family Sedan don't you? No offense, but if you were THAT concerned about unnecessary aesthetics and performance, you wouldn't be looking to power said 2-ton Family Sedan with a 6-cyl...you wouldn't even be driving a Charger, you'd be out looking for a solid Fox Body Mustang to modify.

Let's be honest...unless you're strapping a 426 Hemi onto a skateboard, you're compromising "performance" for "luxury"

·
Registered
676 Posts
Just as an FYI - The 3.6 is in short supply as it is. I can't see them trying to market it on its own any time in the future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts