Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
Names Adam. 25 male living in Southern Indiana. I recently sold my 05 GOAT to get into something a little more practical. I've been hunting for a car that fits my needs for some time and feel I've settled on the Charger. I wanted a good traveling vehicle, 4 doors, car, fast. I'm a little worried that I will be missing the 400+ horses from my GTO. I plan on getting an RT and building it up to at least compete with an 05 GTO. I just have to find the right Charger.

Few questions.

1. Should I spend the extra ~6 grand and get an SRT? Knowing I will be spending 2-3k in mods on an RT should I just get the SRT to begin with? Is it worth it?

2. Any tuners within ~200 miles of Southern Indiana? (I'll check in my regional section also)

3. Hows the aftermarket world coming along for these vehicles?

I appreciate the help.

Adam

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whoops.

If you have questions regarding your vehicle, or anything beyond your introduction, please post those questions in their respective forums.
I just read the newb sticky and noticed I posted a few questions here. Don't answer if you don't want. I'll poke around and see if I can't post them in there respected areas.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
If you want to compete with what you had check out the SRT. have been very happy with the power of mine. Gives me a smile every time i drive it.
Plus you don't have to start out modding to be Happy. Just get in and drive it!!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Hello Adam and welcome to the forums! Those are some pretty good questions and i'll try to answer em
if you are really serious about tryin to get over 400rwhp on an rt, you'd be better off just going with the SRT-8. Not only for the HP and TQ but also the brakes, suspension, and all that stuff. I would definitely recommend that you test drive an rt with the r&t package (or a daytona), and test drive an SRT-8. if gas mileage is any concern to you, then get the rt with rt. you'll get great gase mileage with MDS
as for tuning, i'd recommend buying the predator/diablo, it just came out and its supposed to be the best.
and the aftermarket world is coming along ok, the main problem with modding our cars is pissing off HAL (the nick name for the computer that controls everything). nobody has figured out how to kill HAL yet, except for maybe the diablo, but i dont kno much about it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Adam and welcome to the forums! Those are some pretty good questions and i'll try to answer em
if you are really serious about tryin to get over 400rwhp on an rt, you'd be better off just going with the SRT-8. Not only for the HP and TQ but also the brakes, suspension, and all that stuff. I would definitely recommend that you test drive an rt with the r&t package (or a daytona), and test drive an SRT-8. if gas mileage is any concern to you, then get the rt with rt. you'll get great gase mileage with MDS
as for tuning, i'd recommend buying the predator/diablo, it just came out and its supposed to be the best.
and the aftermarket world is coming along ok, the main problem with modding our cars is pissing off HAL (the nick name for the computer that controls everything). nobody has figured out how to kill HAL yet, except for maybe the diablo, but i dont kno much about it.
Thanks for the great info!

I tried searching the r&t and the search came up with nothing.
I'm sure its some sort "road and track" upgrade but what would a dealer call it? How do I know if a used Charger has the r&t package. Any tall tell signs? I'm sure this has been addresses 11 billion times but like I said the search doesn't seem to come up with anything. (it may be the "&" that's screwing the search up)
Point me to a good r&t info thread if someone knows of one!

Thanks.
Freakin newb.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Welcome to the forums, from Las Vegas! As far as knowing if an R/T has R&T, all Daytona have R&T and IIRC iff the inside pockets of the rims are black, it has R&T. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the great info!

I tried searching the r&t and the search came up with nothing.
I'm sure its some sort "road and track" upgrade but what would a dealer call it? How do I know if a used Charger has the r&t package. Any tall tell signs? I'm sure this has been addresses 11 billion times but like I said the search doesn't seem to come up with anything. (it may be the "&" that's screwing the search up)
Point me to a good r&t info thread if someone knows of one!

Thanks.
Freakin newb.
Dealer should be calling it "road & track" package (if they never heard of that, run for zee hills!). R&T Chargers are pretty much Daytonas without the flashy colors and graphics. The wheels are probably the easiest way to single them out from a regular R/T. The seats are also different (they're more like the SRT seats, may even be the same, I'm not sure) and I think they either have the Daytona's flat black grill or a color-matched grill (the regular R/T's have chrome).

A good search tip: On the "Active Topics" page, at the bottom, there is a little Google search box. You can click a radio button to search only Charger Forums, and then enter in your search string. I've found this to be a much better way to search for things. It basically uses Google to search, then restricts the results to only chargerforums.com.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOB! I just found an R&T. I will be getting one of these. I love those seats! Thanks for the info. I love learning new things about interesting cars. My search shall continue for the RT R&T that fits my budget!

Side note- I think I'll stick with the RT. A little research shows they have better gas mileage (obviously) but also have the fuel management system. The 6.1L doesn't.... I think.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
SOB! I just found an R&T. I will be getting one of these. I love those seats! Thanks for the info. I love learning new things about interesting cars. My search shall continue for the RT R&T that fits my budget!

Side note- I think I'll stick with the RT. A little research shows they have better gas mileage (obviously) but also have the fuel management system. The 6.1L doesn't.... I think.
you are correct and i think thats a wise choice. i would still suggest test driving one before you buy it though. i test drove a lot of chargers (and other cars) before i decided to buy mine. the rt w/ r&t or the daytona was by far the best choice in my mind. incase you dont know the upgrades yet i'll list them for u:
better seats, better air intake, less restrictive and a little louder exhaust, stiffer and lower suspension, beefer brakes (i think), the wheels with black pockets tby meantioned, spoiler, and of course the cool looking red R/T emblem.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee-You will love an R/T w R&T!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome from Texas, I am sure you'll love what ever charger you decide on. They have plenty of room for the family and more. I haven't missed my goat from day one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome from Texas, I am sure you'll love what ever charger you decide on. They have plenty of room for the family and more. I haven't missed my goat from day one.
So you're a past GOAT owner too. Are you serious when you say you don't miss it at all? That's the only thing I'm worried about, is missing that damn cavalier looking thing. I loved it!

Thanks for the welcome people!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome from Northern Cali. If you can swing an SRT8, then get that for sure. Otherwise you would love an RT w/ R&T, or a Daytona.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I've been looking at all the daytonas on the forums and they are really nice cars. these guys have done some really cool stuff on them. Just drive an SRT once before you decide. Once I felt that kick in the butt I was done..... had to have it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Welcome from the Motor City. You won't be dissapointed with the R/T R&T.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I love my Daytona, The EVIC system comes with it also and the suspension is beefier than the standard R/T, Test drive, that all we can say.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got one!!!

2006 Black RT
Road and Track
25,000 miles

Going to pick it up and drive it 600 miles home Sunday! I'll take some nice pictures!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
to the forum from Northern Illinois!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts