Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other LEOs out there put the strobe lights in the their heads and tails? I'm former LEO and im returning to the local reserves because I miss it so much :(. I wont be getting a squard car for another 3 months or so (praying I get one of our new chargers) but in the mean time, I want to throw a push bar, spot light, and strobes on MY Charger. Just wanted some input from anyone whos done any of these mods, where they got them done, and the price associated with them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
From what I remember, the headlight housing on the Chargers don't handle the heat very well, so it's not recommended to do anything to them that involves strobes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
From the reading I've done concerning putting lights in the headlight housing of the Charger, it is recommended that you use LED's instead of strobes because of the heat. As far as prices, you can always check galls' website or go to federal signal, whelen or whoever you want to consider for the equipment.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Would go for LED lights, strobes would probably mess with the headlight housing...

I have been in a few Charger units but they have had strobes in the rear lights, but not in the headlights..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy the PAR36 type clear LEDs that fit in your fog light housings. The head lights and brake lights do not do well with strobes. I would look into the rear tail light flasher for back light warning.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Are you going to put on just strobes and not mount any lights on the push bar or anything in the interior?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to put on just strobes and not mount any lights on the push bar or anything in the interior?
I wasnt planning to mount any additional lights. Maybe a pushbar and radio but that's it. Since this is considered "elective".. 100% of the costs will be out of pocket and I dont want to break the bank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am waiting for the summer to cool down, then strobes

In Headlamps & Tails. I have a Whelen S-660 set waiting to install.
I have this same set in my company truck and there is absolutely NO HEAT
associated with the strobes. And the Ford F-250 turn signal housings are much smaller then the chargers. They are on for hours and NO HEAT.
When I take the front fascia off, I am going to do strobes, HID Lamps and Angel eyes all at one time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is what I have so far:

Front: Slimlighter over rvm (adding grille lights soon)

Rear: Whelen 400 series dual linear

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any one know the laws/regulations as far as whats acceptible on an off-duty vehicle?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have grill mounted lights / and a inside bar similar to the video above (red/blue) for the front. In the rear my reverse lights wig-wag, brake lights flash and I have another bar inside the glass (red/blue).

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
LED's are the way to go. They've come such a long way in such a short time as far as brightness. Plus they use a fraction of a fraction of the juice that strobes use and you don't have to mount the big bulky strobe pack box! I'd just get one of the units that hang at the top of the windshield or lay on the back deck.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Any one know the laws/regulations as far as whats acceptible on an off-duty vehicle?
I'd check with your Departments Policy and Procedures.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe the installation of emergency signal system falls into the purview of the head of local law enforcement jurisdiction. I have only the folding down visor lights, flashing led strobe installed where the foglight are and siren underneath the hood. All this item had to approved by the department prior to installation even when I am responding Code 3 as Emergency Services Unit. Please ask don't assume anything when it comes to departmental policies.
Be safe my Brother!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts