Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I switched out the courtesy light bulbs in my doors to blue LEDs about a year ago. I was at the dealership today because I've been having problems with my headlights blinking off at night. They told me the LEDs in the doors are causing the issue. It seems odd to me that after being in there for months, those LEDs are suddenly causing problems. Anybody else have problems like this?:confused:

·
Registered
616 Posts
That's pretty absurd man. There is no way the circuits are tied together. Perhaps you should go to a shop where they can read and understand a wiring diagram and troubleshooting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They plugged it into the computer and that's what it spit out. It said that the door light modules were showing a fault or a short. The only thing there that is not stock is the LEDs. I'm going to dig up the old bulbs and put them back in to see if it clears the code. They said it may not be the LEDs directly causing the problem but that's a place to start.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I don't blame them for wanting to rule out the LED's first. That's a variable that they can't control. I had a similar thing happen with my 2006 Charger. The rear windows wouldn't work in hot weather. They suspected the vent visors. I took them out and the windows still didn't work, so they replaced the actuators and all was fine afterwards.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
They plugged it into the computer and that's what it spit out. It said that the door light modules were showing a fault or a short. The only thing there that is not stock is the LEDs. I'm going to dig up the old bulbs and put them back in to see if it clears the code. They said it may not be the LEDs directly causing the problem but that's a place to start.
Let us know the final results.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Oh my god that's ridiculous.....I'm really only responding so I can subscribe and see how this turns out. I cannot think of how this would possibly be the case. Maybe one of the leads is loose or something causing a fluctuation in the circuit? But again, they're not on the same circuit.....

·
Supporting Vendor
624 Posts
It's highly unlikely that those LEDs are causing the issue. However, give us a call and we can help you troubleshoot: (314) 205-3033

If you "hot-plugged" the bulbs, meaning, installed them while the courtesy light location was still on, it may have blown a fuse or caused an issue.

We always recommend making sure the location doesn't have current running through it before installing as a precaution

Nick C.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Sounds like the dealership is trying to get out of covering the headlight fix. They look for anything aftermarket and bam that's the problem, regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.

Should you disconnect the battery when installing those bulbs?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys! Sadly, now that I think back on it, I believe I did "hot plug" them. In retrospect, probably not the best choice. I've been looking for the old bulbs, but I cannot seem to find them right now. As soon as I do I will reinstall them and take it back to the dealership to have it scanned again. Im doing major mods this coming weekend so ill find the old bulbs by then and swat them out too. I'll update as soon as I can get it back to the shop.

·
Supporting Vendor
624 Posts
Sounds like the dealership is trying to get out of covering the headlight fix. They look for anything aftermarket and bam that's the problem, regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.

Should you disconnect the battery when installing those bulbs?

You don't have to disconnect the battery when installing LEDs, but in door locations I suggest taking the housing out (If possible), putting the bulb in, and re-installing the bulb

This Camry installation video is a good reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIYXMElJLlk&list=UUwLvBZYKqmiJvN10LddaErg

Nick C.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts