Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t seen this done before, so I thought I would share. I recently purchased and installed Flashtech v.3 Fusion color changing Halos, and I wanted to be able to know when they were on and what color they were set at without having to get out of the car and go look at them. So I installed a 5mm RGB LED near the hazard light switch and spliced the wires in with the halo wires. I have a 2007 3.5L SE, so other cars might have something else in place of the empty slot next to the hazard button. Here’s what I did:

Supplies
(1) 5mm RGB LED Common Anode
(1) 5mm LED Mounting Bezel
(1) 1/4 510 ohm resistor
(2) 1/4 470 ohm resistors
Shrink Tube
3ft. RGB Cable
Soldering Iron
Solder
Heat Gun
Side Cutters
Needle Nose Pliers
Drill and Drill Index
Wire Stripper

Step 1
Pull out the center radio bezel and unclip the wiring harnesses. There are two small hex head screws holding the hazard/esp switch plate that need to be removed with needle nose pliers. Use a small flathead screw driver to pry off the plastic piece where the LED will be installed. You will need to make room for the wires to pass through, so use side cutters to cut out a small square where the plastic piece sits (don’t worry about cutting off the tab that holds that piece in place, it will still snap back in on the other side and stay in place). Drill a small hole in the center of that piece and continue using larger drill bits until you can fit the LED mounting bezel in.

Step 2
Strip about 1/8” off of each wire on the RGB cable, and also cut down the excess length of the pins on the resistors. Solder the 510 ohm resistor to the red wire and solder the 470 ohm resistors to the blue and green wires. Then, solder the resistors and the black wire to the LED. If your using the Flashtech RGB Wifi controller like me, you want to be sure that the LED is a common anode, because he black wire coming from the controller is (+). If you use a common cathode, it will not work because the black wire is used for (-). Use heat shrink to cover up all of the individual connections so that they will not come into contact with each other.

Step 3
Next, fit the LED into the mounting bezel, run the wires through the hole we cut out earlier, snap the plastic piece back in place, and re-install the hazard/ esp switch plate back into the radio bezel and fasten the two screws. I attached a 4-pin female connector to the wires coming from the LED so that they can un-hook if I need to remove the radio bezel in the future. Then, I spliced the RGB cable with the Halo RGB cable and installed into the wifi controller that I mounted back in behind the glovebox. Push the radio bezel back into place, being careful not to pinch any wires, and you’re all set.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some additional pics:

How the wires run

All put back together

Blue

Red

Green

Pics of the LED lit up look better in person. They are really bright and I had to dim them way down with the flashtech wifi controller in order to get a decent picture. However, when you make different colors (ex. white, purple, yellow, orange), it is sort of hard to tell unless you're looking straight at it. I'm going to try sanding the LED or using a diffused LED to see if that will help display different colors better when looking at it from the drivers seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Very nice write up and job you did! What and whose switches are mounted around the area on the dash plate.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Wow great mod buddy thx for sharing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice write up and job you did! What and whose switches are mounted around the area on the dash plate.
Thanks! The first switch turns on my halos, the second switch is for my interior LEDs under the dash, the third is for my exterior LEDs under the car, and the fourth one is open for now (maybe grille LEDS)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I'm Sorry what I meant was who makes the switches and where did you get them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Looks nice! I like that idea

·
Registered
183 Posts
This is awesome, great right up and very clean looking results!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts