Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

so my charger is a mess, almost to the point I’m ready to throw in the towel. So both issues I am speaking on have “Supposedly” fixedby the stealership.

1. My car is looking coolant yet again. Had my thermostat and radiator replaced last dec, gas smell in the car after fill ups, they changed the fuel pump once before but still smells, check engine light goes on and off has a mind of its own. Yesterday while driving I started seeing smoke coming from the engine bay, nothing crazy but certainly smoke, white smoke that is. I do have a catch can and it’s been a while since my last oil change. Ready to do that any day now. But I’m just worried I’ve blown a head gasket. Car still runs and drives and never over heated on me.

Any advice is much appreciated in advance.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
What year is the car, how many miles on the odometer and which engine is in it?

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
DC:
Dealer repairs have a 12mo/12k warranty. Unless you have driven 12K since December, back to the dealer I would go.
Was the water pump a part of that repair? If not, that might be the source of your leak.
I like that color.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Don

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a good point. I never thought about the water pump, and I know they did not include that. It was warranty work so I know for a fact they didn’t do anything extra. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Hi everyone,

so my charger is a mess, almost to the point I’m ready to throw in the towel. So both issues I am speaking on have “Supposedly” fixedby the stealership.

1. My car is looking coolant yet again. Had my thermostat and radiator replaced last dec, gas smell in the car after fill ups, they changed the fuel pump once before but still smells, check engine light goes on and off has a mind of its own. Yesterday while driving I started seeing smoke coming from the engine bay, nothing crazy but certainly smoke, white smoke that is. I do have a catch can and it’s been a while since my last oil change. Ready to do that any day now. But I’m just worried I’ve blown a head gasket. Car still runs and drives and never over heated on me.

Any advice is much appreciated in advance.
Hi Dcharged5.7, I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resolving this concern. If you do choose to return your vehicle to your dealer for diagnosis, please feel free to reach out to us here via a private message. We are happy to help.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I aopreciate
Hi Dcharged5.7, I'm sorry to hear that you are having trouble resolving this concern. If you do choose to return your vehicle to your dealer for diagnosis, please feel free to reach out to us here via a private message. We are happy to help.
Rob
DodgeCares
[/QUOTE

I appreciate that, I currently have my car at Dodge as smoke and gas are a dangerous combination, I’ve heard fire stories. It seems kinda scary. I will update the forum when complete.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Burning from the coolant side crazy amount of smoke.
If you're leaking coolant and it's burning smoke on the coolant side ... it could be a leak/crack in the coolant reservoir tank. It's plastic and not uncommon for it to leak after years of age. If it's leaking down onto the hot exhaust manifold you will get lots of smoke. You will not notice a underside crack/leak in the tank unless you do a close inspection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update everyone m! Thanks for your support. So the coolant leaking was the coolant hose split and had a major leak those where replaced. The evap leak was supposedly an update in the uconnect system that help offset it. And the gas smell is gone.

did a full synthetic oil change and emptied the catch can filled with bad oil. Changed air filter and cabin filter. Preparing to replace spark plugs soon. Check engine light came back will take it back to the dealer.

I pulled the code and it’s P0456.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
P0456 is a EVAP Purge system leak code.
A vacuum is created in the fuel tank and EVAP system when there's outside ambient temperature changes. With the EVAP system sealed, the PCM monitors the NVLD (Natural Vacuum Leak Detection) switch. If the NVLD switch does not close within a calibrated time an error is detected by the PCM and P0456 gets logged. Problem could be a EVAP Purge system leak or the EVAP Purge solenoid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P0456 is a EVAP Purge system leak code.
A vacuum is created in the fuel tank and EVAP system when there's outside ambient temperature changes. With the EVAP system sealed, the PCM monitors the NVLD (Natural Vacuum Leak Detection) switch. If the NVLD switch does not close within a calibrated time an error is detected by the PCM and P0456 gets logged. Problem could be a EVAP Purge system leak or the EVAP Purge solenoid.
I appreciate it I am going to change both the Esim and the Purge valve as they’re both a cheap fix and it eliminates both as an issue. Going to change these 2 and the sparks at the same time. I’ll keep everyone posted.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
When you are doing the evap stuff, be gentle as the hoses/lines become brittle over time, and can break easily. You may find that one or more of these lines has gone bad, and may be the issue to begin with.

Don

·
Registered
19 Posts
White smoke is coolant, especially underhood, landing on the exhaust. Be sure to keep an eye on the water pump and hoses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good morning everyone, hope all is well. Quick update my car is finally fixed, it was low and behold the Purge Valve, and the gas tank seal went bad again so that's why I still had the vapor smells coming into the car.

Dealer this time fixed it for free since they seen me there about 4 times in the past 2 months battling with the same issue.

Now that this is fixed it's mod time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts