Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I understand that if you remove fuse # 17 that it will disable the brake-traction control and allow you to lay some rubber... does this disable the ABS ENITRELY???? or just the feature where the ABS provides traction control?

Secondly, any suggestions on gettign some better performance off the line? It's a bit of a dog right off the line... it almost feels like it's a turbo.... slow off the line and then all of a sudden it takes off!

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i feel ya brother....i want the same thing the srt8 has with the "babysitter" off.....the esp off is still set at 20% on so it is actually never off. anyway i wonder if it was completely off if it would add anything to the bottom end....i feel the same, the low end is being held up or maybe she is just so damn big it takes that extra tenth of a second to get moving......but after she decides to go....not many cars out there that can hold a candle...she is damn fast and picks up quickly.

i will have a friend at dodge attacking this soon, hopefully he can find a way to turn it all off and all on and get the babysitter out of the equation. boy would i love to get a hold of a dodge computer programmer!!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You don't need to pull the fuse to lay rubber. Just push the button on the dash. True this does not disable stability control but is does disable the anti spin portion of traction control. (Until Stability Control kicks in) The only time it will interfere when turned off by the button is when the yaw sensor tells the computer that the rear end is going one direction and the steering wheel position sensor tells the computer you are steering in the same direction. Basically you can spin until you steer to straighten the car up. When you do this the stability control will straighten you up by cutting power and applying brakes to various wheels. The amount of intrusion by the system is programmable but not by any aftermarket produces, yet.

Pulling the #17 fuse will disable the ABS along with stability and traction control.
The big problem with this is the car has an open differential and if you're smoking the tires and the rear starts coming around the weight shift will cause the outside tire to grip better and it will stop spinning. Then you roast 1 tire, the inside tire.
With traction control disabled by the switch the brakes can make up for some of the traction difference but not much.
Basically if you?re trying to do a donut you?re screwed but if you want to do a smokey launch just push the button. You can get a little sideways before the stability control kicks in.

By all means do some testing at a local parking lot. I have tested my brothers Charger and my Magnum. The magnum system intervenes sooner then the magnum did. (this could also be because the Charger has a lighter rear end)
________
E Cigarette Shop

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have tried just pushign the button and she does not spin the tires... at best a chirp or so, but no patch...

wish she had posi as well....

·
Registered
662 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car??

Also, there's this thing called 'torque management' and it's a real killer. Basically, when you floor it, you'd think it'd open the throttle wide and hit with all the engine's power...however, to "protect the tranny" the throttle actually opens gradually, which means no burn-out. In this car, to really roast the rubber, you need to brake-stall it. Hold the brake with your left foot, tach it up to 1800-2000rpm (this open the throttle some to defeat tq mgmt), then quickly release the brake and floor it. Burn, baby, burn! :rockon:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You will need to power brake (brake Torque) it some to get the tires going. The low stall converter, low rpm tuning and torque management make it extremely hard to light them up just by flooring it.
And yes Posi would be fun I just don?t know if it will work with the stability control
________
ViciousGirl live

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just turned 1000 miles yesterday.... I love driving her but I hate the fact that she's gonna have miles on her some day! :wink:

laying rubber is only one aspect of the frustrations for me... wish she had a bit more jump off the line... I don't mind power brakign to get wheel spin (who really wants a lot of wheel spin off the line anyway?) What I want is a big jump off the line!!! and she's not giving it to me so far....

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
JSA 007 said:
How many miles do you have on your car??

Also, there's this thing called 'torque management' and it's a real killer. Basically, when you floor it, you'd think it'd open the throttle wide and hit with all the engine's power...however, to "protect the tranny" the throttle actually opens gradually, which means no burn-out. In this car, to really roast the rubber, you need to brake-stall it. Hold the brake with your left foot, tach it up to 1800-2000rpm (this open the throttle some to defeat tq mgmt), then quickly release the brake and floor it. Burn, baby, burn! :rockon:
Will brake-stalling have any negative effects on the vehicle?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
DirtyOM said:
Will brake-stalling have any negative effects on the vehicle?
It will negatively affect the tread life and to a lesser extent the rear brake pad life. But I doubt the pad life will be changed significantly.
The tread life however will be reduced by several thousand mile for every Smokey burnout.
My rear tires lasted 7000 miles. BIG FUN.
________
TallSexyHornyGal live

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
After I was in need of new back tires I video taped a burn out.
Check this link burnout
This magnum is a 2005 so I could not hold it in first and work the throttle to maintain the burnout. You will hear it shift into 2nd gear. This is not traction control it is second gear that drags it down.
I did the same thing in my brothers Charger and was able to hold first gear so the burnout lasted longer.
The charger was much easier to get spinning than the Magnum.
________
Cheap Condo Pattaya

·
Registered
662 Posts
The point about the mileage is, every noob that just got a Charger comes on this board and complains about off-the-line performance. The HEMI needs a lot of work to fully 'wake up'. Many believe it is computer limited and takes ~5,000 miles (I've heard 3k-7k).

So please, don't dog this car's performance until it's completly settled-in :wink:

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i understand what you are saying jsa 007, but i have 6000miles and still think the line out is not as good as she could be....trust me, not complaining about the car...not many can be as infactuated with this car as me, but that low end just feels like it could be a "little" bit better. like i said before, once she decides to go she is going very, very fast...

i think new headers and the cai will help add that bottom end that i am hoping for....most seem to feel and see a difference.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I cant afford the R/T no matter how bad I want it Im settling for a sxt. regardless with 250hp I wasnt able to get the dealer car to do any such thing. Now Im trading out of my saturn Redline which has more power then needed all the time. Is this just a computer thing or am I going to have to turbo this SOB. Im buying the car I cant be talked out of it but Im curious of power.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I can only say I never noticed any "wake-Up" on my Magnum. I had 9000 miles on it when I sold it.
I know a lot of people say there cars woke up but I have seen no evidence other than seat of pants dyno reports.
It may be the way I drove the car but it "Felt" the same from day one until I sold it.
________
Wong Amat Tower Condominium

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i test drove the sxt, if you have never had a car over 200-220hp then honestly the sxt is pretty quick...she will get up and go...i was very impressed, i had to have the hemi!!! no matter if it is a v6, v8 or the mack daddy v8 6.1......the car is GORGEOUS (can i use that word on a car forum full of manly men)!!!

BUT, yes, there is a but, goofyguy test drive the r/t....she is A beast in her own right. you may find yourself, family included, living off of ramen noodles and powdered milk. if you are even thinking about turbo for the v6 go with the hemi and start big for mods.

not sure if i addressed your comments correctly....have fun buying the charger either way i don't believe you will be disappointed!

·
Registered
549 Posts
GoDaddy said:
i think new headers and the cai will help add that bottom end that i am hoping for....most seem to feel and see a difference.
Actually headers and intake should raise your upper end power unless they are specifically tuned to add to the low end. Once installed I bet you will notice it will pull like a raped ape all the way to redline but the low end will probably not improve much if at all. That is ofcourse all things being equal that V8's and I4's are effected the same way by those mods.......never had a V8 so I don't have a frame of reference other then what I know.

Later

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
damn that word "tuned"....if only i were smart enough to create the programmer that we are all waiting for to open up some more whoop ass out of the engine. the reason i am hoping for some low end is based on some of the dyno sheets....they pull a few hp harder at the low end, but yeah i going to love being pulled like a "raped ape" ( i love that).

·
Registered
403 Posts
GoDaddy said:
i test drove the sxt, if you have never had a car over 200-220hp then honestly the sxt is pretty quick...she will get up and go...i was very impressed, i had to have the hemi!!! no matter if it is a v6, v8 or the mack daddy v8 6.1......the car is GORGEOUS (can i use that word on a car forum full of manly men)!!!

BUT, yes, there is a but, goofyguy test drive the r/t....she is A beast in her own right. you may find yourself, family included, living off of ramen noodles and powdered milk. if you are even thinking about turbo for the v6 go with the hemi and start big for mods.

not sure if i addressed your comments correctly....have fun buying the charger either way i don't believe you will be disappointed!

I drove both the 3.5 and the 5.7 and there is no question about it the hemi is a bad motha. I just cant afford it even though its only 80 a month more I just can muscle it right now. I have a saturn redline now and if you dont know about it. 2.0 liter supercharged 2800 car. Its FAAAAAST compared to the v6 charger Im not sure on the hemi though. Im getting a charger regardless but the price is what sells me on the cheaper motor. Thanks though and now you make me hate myself more for the not getting the hemi. JERK.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
my family is on a strict diet b/c of the charger......rice, ramen noodles and when i feel like giving them a little extra i will throw in some pudding, but we can't afford milk so we use water.....seriously man the car looks great either way. you will be happy. have fun and enjoy the new ride.

signed,
JERK

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
jsa... would never dog the performance of the car.... i do love every thing about it.... and I agree with godaddy.... the car is gorgeous.... she's like a big-boobed, voluptuous red-headed (I have the inferno red) hottie that rocks my world... and if I had to get a 6cyl for whatever reason, I'd still be just as infatuated with her. It's the difference between having a hot babe that you want everyone in the world see clinging onto your arm, and then having that same hot babe #*$#($)% )$ER_$+%(#)@@(#*)^$)^[email protected]([email protected]_)#%*^&%@[email protected]#(***!!!!!!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: every single day....

'nuff said????

cheers, guys... off to the airport in my new ride...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts