Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between these two brands and need some real world experiences as to performance, quality and ability as an All Season Radial. Specifically, I am thinking about either

Kumho Ecsta ASX in 245/45/20 front and 255/45/20 rear
Toyo Proxes 4 in 245/45/20 from and either 255/45/20 or 275/40/20 rear.

Any considerations for rotating, other than I can rotate front to back with staggered sizes?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
kumho's are made by firestone ( korean tires) . They are not the greatest out there and most have a low treadwear. I love them for the money though. Make sure your balance and alignment is dead on or it will eat these tires up in either of your choice situations

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Kumhos are the best tire Ive ever used in my life. Ive had toyo's, pirelli's, and nitto's on varous size wheels from 20 - 24".

On my last car I had it lifted on 24" rims with kumho ecsta's and 3 and a half years later when i sold the rims the tires had a nice amout of tread still left. Thats practically unheard of for a custom lifted vehicle where the camber and alignment are off. Im never using anything else

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Statistically, the data on them (Kumho) compares very well with other brands. Interesting that I haven't seen comments on the Toyo's in this thread.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i just got upgraded to 20" rims from 17". dont know much about tires so the shop just ordered in the tires i needed. i got kuhmo 275/45/20. does anyone know if this is fine? they seem a lil wide but some say that handles better...? also it was the kumho ecsta stx instead of asx....does this tire place know what they are doin?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just got upgraded to 20" rims from 17". dont know much about tires so the shop just ordered in the tires i needed. i got kuhmo 275/45/20. does anyone know if this is fine? they seem a lil wide but some say that handles better...? also it was the kumho ecsta stx instead of asx....does this tire place know what they are doin?
275/45/20's are a bit wide at least for the front. The SRT's use 245/45/20's for the front and the same or 255/45/20's for the rear. Some folks use the 255/45/20's on the front and the 275/40/20's for the rear. Not sure I've heard of anyone using 275/45/20's for the front. I guess if there's no problem rubbing in the turns it might be okay. Note that the 275/40 is a closer match to the 255/45's than the 275/45's for keeping the speedo correct.

I can't tell you much from going to a 20" from a 17", but there are plenty of tire calculators out there that can help.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I had ASX's on another car of mine, they were great for 15k miles and after that they turned to crap. Weak sidewall so the sides bubbled up, lost traction rather easily in a light to moderate rain, etc.

I was pretty disappointed.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I may need to re-evaluate what to do.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
i had a flat the other day on my falkens fk-452's (front left) I have a kumho Ecsta int 245/40/20 on until the falken arrives sometime in the near future and I REALLY dig the kumho for the style and handling on that side of the car. I notice how it handles on turns at high speeds and stops on the front left....may go with a set for the $$ and availability...

·
Registered
91 Posts
ok well found out why....they chose that because something like a 245 or 255/45 were 50 to 100 $ more per tire. the 275/45/20 fits, don't rub, looks good, just making me a couple miles off on the speedometer but then again i have more tire between the rim and any potholes and more tread to last longer plus some say they handle a lil better so i'm sticking w/ them. only heard good stuff about the kumhos.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have staggered Toyo Proxes 4 Tires on 20" rim.
245/45/20 in front
275/40/20 in back
This is the best sizes that fit for that tire. Both are exact overall diameter. Doesn't affect your speedo. I haven't had them for long (4k miles) but I like everything so far. I had kumho ecsta stx 275/45/20 on my truck and they did last a long time and were great in the rain, but they are sport truck tires. Comfort and performance are better on the Toyos.

·
Registered
247 Posts

Any considerations for rotating, other than I can rotate front to back with staggered sizes?

QUOTE]

You can't rotate front to back on staggered, only back to back front to front. With the Toyo Proxes you can't rotate at all because they are a directional tire.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, that was a typo.

Do the 275/40/20's fit the SRT8 wheels just fine then?

·
Registered
198 Posts
i am running a staggered setup 245/45 and 275/40/20. love them. quiet ride, handle great, good manners in the rain, just sticky enough, but hard enough for durability. i'm going on .......... 14k on mine, hardly any wear, and i drive her like i stole her most times.

and yes, they are directional, front/rear, left/right. so there is no option to rotate. but that comes with high end performance tires, epically staggered.

as far as fitting stock srt rims, not totally sure. recomended wheel size for a 275/40 is 9-11 inches wide. if they are in that range they should fit just fine.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
go to tire rack and doa comparo. Its hard to judge off any persons opinion cause lots of people think tires are crap when in actuallity they had terrible alignments (should be done every 6 months), bad balancing (every 10k), air pressure not checked (weekly). So you never know what they did to accelerate the wear on their tires, let alone how they drove

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm trying to decide between these two brands and need some real world experiences as to performance, quality and ability as an All Season Radial. Specifically, I am thinking about either

Kumho Ecsta ASX in 245/45/20 front and 255/45/20 rear
Toyo Proxes 4 in 245/45/20 from and either 255/45/20 or 275/40/20 rear.

Thoughts?
To answer your question. The 245/45R20 and 255/45R20 ASX works perfectly. You can rotate these tires from left to right to help extend tire life.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Ethan. I need to get something here pretty soon. There's still too much tread on my RSA's to get rid of them, but not enough for the snow and ice to come. I think I'll have new ones mounted for the winter, then come spring I'll switch back to the RSA's, at least on the back and ROAST 'EM!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
go to tire rack and doa comparo. Its hard to judge off any persons opinion cause lots of people think tires are crap when in actuallity they had terrible alignments (should be done every 6 months), bad balancing (every 10k), air pressure not checked (weekly). So you never know what they did to accelerate the wear on their tires, let alone how they drove
I agree. That's why I like reading the reviews which can give you a good mean. The ASX's have a pretty good review average overall. I just can't decide between them and the Toyo's because those 275/40/20's may give the car a little better stance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts