Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hears my deal as of now i am getting ready to do the ppp stage 2 heads and cam in the next month but im on a budgett coureous of my wife, and can really only do one of the two the headers or the torque convertor and was wondering what most of you guys would do? I drive the car every day and have quite a few lites to contend with so should i go with the headers now while he has the engine opened up and can get to them real easy or would you go ahead with the torque convertor and tackle the headers later! Love to hear some feedback from you guys and especially the ones who have done this setup or something like it!! The mechanic at my job said he would go ahead with the headers now and that a stall tc might be a little rough driving around town at this point. So what do YOU PROS THINK?:grin:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
What is your reasoning for buying a torque converter??? I haven't done much research in them and I understand the basics but just want a thought process. I'd rather get the headers IMO and in fact headers will be my next mod because I've heard they free up so much more HP from a bolt on mod. I cant wait to hear your experience with the heads and cams.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
GO WITH THE HEADER'S. if you have to drive it every day the convertor is going to really kill you on the gas mileage and the motor needs to breath so finish off the exhaust first and you have to reflash the tcm and go threw pulling the trans out. the headers are the cheaper way to go and will give you your moneys worth in power and fuel saving's. even tho it will be very little in saved fuel if you do a cam and head swap.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
on 2nd thought why dont you do a tcm reflash and hi flow cats instead if your doing the heads and cam. believe it or not the stock header for what they are do work pretty darn good on the 6.1's. if the cam your putting in is for mid to top end power then you need the short stock headers to keep any bottom end punch. if you put long tubes on then you will loose alot of your bottom end with a upper end cam and long tubes and will then need to go for the convertor if you plan on really runing it at the track

·
Registered
359 Posts
this is my opinion... this car sucks on take off, because our power band starts at 3000rpm. the torque convertor will definitely make this car an all around well ballanced muscle car. thats going to be my next mod real soon. just think about how much better it will come out of the hole. plus if u really care about gas milage u shouldn't have got an srt. hemi mds would have been better for u.
everyone here complains on how the automatic tranny is robbing us from our low end torque. here's out chance to eliminate that problem. i cant wait to go with a 3000 stall (if pro torque) makes it. im sick of hearing mustangs,gto, etc.. coming out of the hole harder just because they're manual. this is the best mod we can do to our cars period.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The right TC is definately the best mod for an auto. I'm just not sure we've seen the right TC for our cars yet.

As far as gas mileage goes, the TC will only hurt you if you do a lot of stop and go city traffic. "Normal driving" or highway driving you won't notice a difference, cause the TC's for our car are lockups. At light throttle the TC will lock up very quickly, and once locked, the gas mileage is identical to the stocker.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If the heads are going to be off I would do the headers. They will be a pain in the as* to do later. Just remember you will either need to do the B&G flash or one of the tuners when they come out to shut off the check engine light that the headers and cats will throw. The convert IMO will not help you much unless you plan on launching the car with some tire under it, and in that case you WILL need some upgraded axles. I have ran the stock converter in my car with a fully built motor, heads, cam , intake, nitrous, etc, etc...and ran into the 11s, and it hasn't been until I finally got some upgraded axles and started being able to really launch the car that I really felt the need for a different converter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If the heads are going to be off I would do the headers. They will be a pain in the as* to do later. Just remember you will either need to do the B&G flash or one of the tuners when they come out to shut off the check engine light that the headers and cats will throw. The convert IMO will not help you much unless you plan on launching the car with some tire under it, and in that case you WILL need some upgraded axles. I have ran the stock converter in my car with a fully built motor, heads, cam , intake, nitrous, etc, etc...and ran into the 11s, and it hasn't been until I finally got some upgraded axles and started being able to really launch the car that I really felt the need for a different converter.

okay what ur saying makes sense after u spend 12 thousand dollars in mods. ect.. if a simple person like me wants the car to be quicker for less than a thousand dollars for a torque convertor installed, then i still think its better than headers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
okay what ur saying makes sense after u spend 12 thousand dollars in mods. ect.. if a simple person like me wants the car to be quicker for less than a thousand dollars for a torque convertor installed, then i still think its better than headers.

I am answering the original question in this post. If he already has the heads off why wouldn't he do the headers then? And IMO if a simple person as you say wants the car to be quicker I really wouldn't be looking into either mod. For the money the headers don't give you that much, and like I said earlier the TC isn't really gonna help unless you can launch the car.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am answering the original question in this post. If he already has the heads off why wouldn't he do the headers then? And IMO if a simple person as you say wants the car to be quicker I really wouldn't be looking into either mod. For the money the headers don't give you that much, and like I said earlier the TC isn't really gonna help unless you can launch the car.

okay then what would u do for ur next mod if u were me? . can u explain what u meant by knowing how to launch?. i find that the car bogs down on launch till it hits 3000rpm, so in my opinion if i get to that powerband right away thats better right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
okay then what would u do for ur next mod if u were me? . can u explain what u meant by knowing how to launch?. i find that the car bogs down on launch till it hits 3000rpm, so in my opinion if i get to that powerband right away thats better right?

What are your current mods. Nitrous is always a good mod, with plenty of forum members running without any problems what so ever. Best bang for you buck mod there is. I never said anything about knowing how to launch. Have you ever tried foot braking your car and launching? All you do is spin. Now can you imagine a TC letting your stall your car higher and launch? More wheel spin. Solution to this....but some sticky tires on the car...and end up with a broken axle. Bottom line is its your car, your money do with it as your please. I can just offer my opinion and experience building my car.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just picked up my car from getting Kooks LT's installed. I put down 461 RWHP!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
What are your current mods. Nitrous is always a good mod, with plenty of forum members running without any problems what so ever. Best bang for you buck mod there is. I never said anything about knowing how to launch. Have you ever tried foot braking your car and launching? All you do is spin. Now can you imagine a TC letting your stall your car higher and launch? More wheel spin. Solution to this....but some sticky tires on the car...and end up with a broken axle. Bottom line is its your car, your money do with it as your please. I can just offer my opinion and experience building my car.

I definitely don't want to break nothing and i do hear what ur saying about being careful and all, but there's lots of guys using pro torque 2800 without any problems and all they do is praise the mod and say it's the best thing they did. i dont know bro maybe its just a difference of opinion !!! regardless im going to go with the high stall so if i want to show off :) i can do it with style and not have the car bog down then go nuts. Id rather it go nuts when i want it to right away if u know what i mean :). Plus i understand for racing this would be a disadvantage unless i hook up with sticky tires. THe sad thing is there's no track near me so im not too worried, because im not going to race on the streets anyways. i just miss that dropping the clutch feeling if u know what i mean :)

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sweet i finally found someone with a 3000 stall can u plz tell me how u like it and what advantages u have seen because of this torque convertor? i want to go with a 3000 stall my self soon, but i want to get all the info i can and get different opinions before my final ordering move :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here is the dyno sheet. I think the TC is next for me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
sweet i finally found someone with a 3000 stall can u plz tell me how u like it and what advantages u have seen because of this torque convertor? i want to go with a 3000 stall my self soon, but i want to get all the info i can and get different opinions before my final ordering move :)
I can tell you the stall made the biggest sotp improvement of all my mods thus far, save the nitrous.
Gas milage is unchanged, as once I hit about 30 mph the verter locks up and drives as though stock.
When idling, with the tranny in drive, the car still creeps ahead, just like it did stock. The only difference you will take note of, is that when pulling away from a dead stop your engine will rev a little more. I guess the best way to describe the feeling is that it dosn't feel quite as "crisp" at partial throttle.
But keep on depressing that "go pedal" and you will know where your money went.
Feels like your riding in a slingshot. Your charger will launch like you never thought possible, you will be pinned back in your seat and just grin as you watch that tack climb into the powerband.
And I gurantee any other charger owner that rides with you will be saying, "Damn! I got to get me one of these!"

·
Registered
365 Posts
So until 3000 rpms, does it kinda feel like it would if you were riding the clutch? Then at 3K feel like you dumped the clutch? Sorry man....i have always had stick shifts!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
So until 3000 rpms, does it kinda feel like it would if you were riding the clutch? Then at 3K feel like you dumped the clutch? Sorry man....i have always had stick shifts!!
No, not at all.
Say from a stop you pull away with traffic in your stock car. Off idle, you keep up with traffic easily, accelerate to 30 mph without going over 1100-1200. rpm. Now, with a 3000 stall, you will need to rev to around 1500-1600 rpm to get the same rate of acceleration due to the slip in the converter. Now, if you continue to press on the pedal, there will be less and less slip and more torque multiplication as your rpms climb, hence the feeling of riding in a sling shot.
Now if you stab the pedal from a dead stop, the engine will immediately rev to 3000 rpms, where your verter will instantly lock up and dump all that torque to your rear wheels.
I wish I was better at explaining things, but I hope this helps.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.