Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the someone was me. I apparently tried to steal my car but I should probably start this story at the beginning and not the end. Yesterday morning I had some time off as I didn't have any appointments until later in the afternoon. So I walk out to the garage with my shiny new AAC inverter to get my halos back up and running. I started off by pulling out my dead grill lights that apparently were not as water proof as expected but I was getting my halos back so no big deal. After doing that for a half an hour I tested the passenger side halos to make sure they still did. They didn't. I had the other not plugged in inverter die on me while I was waiting around for my driver's side inverter. I was p!ssed. Real bad day. I cut up my arm reaching inside the fascia trying to pull out wires and then the chit that was supposed to work didn't. :no: :slap: Anyway I'm done with CCFls. So I'm disgruntled but trying to turn my day around and say to myself [email protected] my engine bay could use a cleaning so I back it on out of the garage about 15 feet and go to town cleaning things up. Not too detailed but enough for my own satisfaction. While I'm at it I give a quick clean to my rims. Made me a little happier. I leave the hood open to dry out while I go change my clothes.

So I get back about ten minutes later all ready to go and show some houses. I close the hood, get in my ride and start it on up. No problems at all. All is well. I back down the driveway about 30 feet and then kick it into drive. The AC blasts me in the face suddenly. Odd. :confused: But it stopped pretty immediately. I lightly accelerate as I always do down my kid inhabited street and make it about another 30 ft and then all hell brakes loose. Lights are flashing. Gauges are flipping up and down and I have serious misfires. The car shuts itself down. It wasn't a stall. The car shut off as if I had turned the key off. I look around for the gremlin that is clearly eating my car today but I can't find him. I sit still for a few seconds and then try to start it up in hopes of at least parking. It starts....then turns itself off. Then nothing. Power works. The engine cranks but no start. I try it once more for fun and it starts and then shuts itself down. The car can clearly start. The car clearly has power. I go check the engine bay to make sure I didn't do anything colossally stupid like leave a pair of wire cutters in the bay. Nothing. Everything looks right. Everything is hooked up. I call my wife out to drive while I push to the side of the road. While I'm pushing she aparently thinks my Hercules like strength is too much and the acceleration is too great so she tapped the break without thinking and I go splat against the spoiler and hit the bumper on my way down to the street. "SORRY!" :no: "No problem!"

Six hours later when I get home I call Chrysler. Anyone ever call Chrysler Roadside? When you are talking to the initial robot it asks if you want to speak to 911. Yes or No? I say no. It says "Connecting." WTF? I was expecting 911 to pick up and ask me what my emergency was. Fortunately I get a some guy in a secret government sponsored facility somewhere deep in the heart of Detrois. :ninja: Who calls some long a$$ 1-800 number when they could dial 911? Anyway the guy on the phone was cool and he got me a truck in just over an hour. No big deal as it was parked out front. Let's rewind a bit.

During those six hours my very residential community was completely obsessed with the humbling of the great and powerful SRT. According to my wife who was out playing with our kids just about every neighbor and their child apparently walked passed and walked around it. Pointed at it and then pointed at my house. It was hard to say if these nosey folks were admiring the car or thinking the wife had finally had enough and decided I needed a change of address and switched out all of the locks.:locked::biggrinjester: At one point I honestly had a plane fly over me a couple times that seemed like it was staring. The thing was honestly circling. When I say over head I mean at an illegal height. like 500-1000ft. It was a 1930s looking thing. You can see the attached pic below. The camera phone makes it look twice as far away as it was.

Anyway Mr. Towtruck guy gets there late at night. I can't see anything about the dude except for his extreme devil beard outlined in the flood lights of his truck :reddevil: I give Mephistopheles my spare key I only use for the dealer (this is important). He gets in and it turns right over. Sounds like I have a misfire at first but it clears up in about a minute as the computer takes control of the situation. We all know Mr. Towtruck guy is always the foremost authority on everything automotive and had a few things to say after the misfire was cleared up.

-That still sounds really rough.

-It's not a stratus. It's a 6.1. It's supposed to be a little loud.

-Still.

-Dude the car is fine now.

-You want me to take it?

-Sure. It's on Chrysler's dime and I still want to know WTF happened.

-Damned Mopars.

WTF!!!!!

So dude goes on to tell me how great effing Camaros are.

-My buddy has an SS. He's never had a problem with it.

-How long has your buddy had it?

-Two months.

-That's not a very long time man.

-GM still puts out an awesome product.

-Whatever. Hope they sell a million Camaros and save the economy but Chrysler and Ford put out some nice vehicles too.

-Don't get me started on Ford. Their pieces of junk make Mopar look good. Never own a Mopar.

So he goes on to tell me he thinks I have a loose wire. What wire? Who the f*** knows? Anyway the reason he says that is becasue his ultra reliable camaros aren't actually all that reliable.

-Had a camaro do the same thing last week. Loose wire. The guy had the same roblem was you but he didn't let me take it. Drove 300 miles into Ohio next day. Crapped out on him. He paid me $400 to tow him his other car and tow his Camaro to the dealership?

-How many miles did it have?

-About 1000.

:slap:

This morning the dealership calls me and says they completely checked my wiring harnesses and did a star scan. No codes. No problems. Essentially the only thing that added up is the whole key fob recall showed up for my vin. According to the stealership that part went nuts and thought I was trying to steal the car intermittently. That's why the second key worked and the car was physically okay.

Moral? Stay away from CCFLs, gremlins, wacked out yellow airplanes, wives that hit the brake while you're pushing a 4400lb car and tow truck guys that can't get enough of the GM kool-aid.

Also get your dealer to check your Vin for the recall or your neighbors might think you'll be sleeping on the front lawn too.:alfdance:

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Robin. Yeah it was kind of funny looking back but it was a rough day.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
um, great story :bigthumb: i think

First off any guy that says chevy is better than ford or dodge needs to back the hell away from a 40k dollar car and go back to his shlitts malt liquor.
Second if there is a issue with the sentry system it kills the fuel pump within about 4 seconds after the vehicle starts and it sees the invalid skreem key. On most vehicles this would never be a recall cause ford and chevy dont start at all with a invalid key. dodge is the only one that starts and then says "oh ya f*** you" and shuts back off. This would have been instant though and after about 4 seconds that system is dead. The system kills power to the fuel pump whereas other companies now have it kill power to the starter relay thus never even cranking the car, you just get a flashy light. Any driveability, stumbling or goofy issues like that were not related to the key.
third larry the tow truck guy is an idiot
fourth i think you have two issues. I'm glad the key thing got fixed for ya but i wonder if something else is going on. You wont set a cel right off the bat because unless its a circuit fault ( a unplugged/grounded/or shorted circuit) you wont get a light til you've made 2 complete drive cycles with the issue happening (on demand, not continous codes)
Fifth , the a/c is where i'd start messing around. That is nowhere near linked to the skreem system. now if the a/c went into full recirc mode and the pcm didnt up the idle for it as it is an increased load, that might have been your stumble but there needs to be a reason for the a/c kicking on other than the slight pun that maybe your car just wanted to give you a **** ***cause it liked you so much

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
wow, i dunno what to say lol. sorry!

but i just got my CCFL halo/projector housings :(
im yet to wire in the halos yet though

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
My keyfob battery died do I changed it...now it only works about 30% of tge time and um worried it's gonna make tge charger die on me. Oh and it's 60$ to reprogram that pos.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
Wow I'm never typing with my left hand again I must seem like the forum 3rd grader

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll keep it in mind Nick but the fuel pump shutting down makes sense with the way the car behaved. The AC thing could have been me bumping the button without even noticing. I could have easily turned it up or hit the recirculate button out if habit. This is all ob Chrysler's dime fortunately.

I read your post as well without trouble Nightmare. :(

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least the sunroof worked. :D

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You read slowly.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So, the dealer actually hypothesized the problem was related to the key fob recall? As I understand it, the key fob is under recall only because the hidden valet key detaches when you don't want it to. The recall has nothing to do with electronics. Does the dealership actually think about these things (do they not understand the recall), or are they willing to just say anything?

·
Registered
441 Posts
hey gladiator,
do u have one of these ridiculous key fobs? just want to know cuz i have to get 1 replace saturday cuz it no longer works n if there is a recall then ill have them check (if they dont do it on their own)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes that is the kind of key I have and yes the dealer said my problems could have been due to the sentry system Nick referenced. It is not the valet key. They still have my car because they had to order parts. I'll get it back tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stephen King has good stories and plot but shaky writing skills. He's a good reviewer too. He really understands the craft even if he is not the best tehnician.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
My keyfob battery died do I changed it...now it only works about 30% of tge time and um worried it's gonna make tge charger die on me. Oh and it's 60$ to reprogram that pos.
Did you have to have it reprogrammed because you changed the battery?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts