Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 dodge charger pursuit package
Hello u guys!
During the week while doing some chores I didn't noticed I have lost the key fob from my Keychain, the key that goes inside de keyfob I still have it, the problem comes when I try to start the car or try to turn the ignition on, since the car doesn't detect the keyfob inside it won't let me get the ignition on.
I did some research about it but in all the results I had to have the ignition on inorder to program a new one.
Anyone had this problem before and solve it ?
Whenever I bought this car the guy who sold it to me told me to not loose this one keyfob he gave me with the car because it was impossible to get a new one for it, he said he tried before and nobody could program a new one for him and this was because this was a police car and they make them like that so nobody can make copies of them, to be honest that sounds a bit odd to me but you never know everything it's possible.
Anyone had this problem before ?
Hand Gesture Body jewelry Nail Thumb

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
789 Posts
That’s a wide array of keys you got there lol but yeah a dealership or locksmith would have to do it and program another fob of some sort whether it’s that specific one or not there has to be a way to get a new one. Contact a police department maybe and ask how. I’m not sure.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Whenever I bought this car the guy who sold it to me told me to not loose this one keyfob he gave me with the car because it was impossible to get a new one for it, he said he tried before and nobody could program a new one for him and this was because this was a police car
Your friend might be correct that a new fob could not be programmed. There is a maximum number of fobs that can be programmed for a car and many departments have that many fobs programmed for a single car. I can not recall if that maximum number is 5 or 8 but very often when a car is auctioned it comes with one key and not every fob programmed for the car.

·
Registered
2012 Charger SRT8
789 Posts
Your friend might be correct that a new fob could not be programmed. There is a maximum number of fobs that can be programmed for a car and many departments have that many fobs programmed for a single car. I can not recall if that maximum number is 5 or 8 but very often when a car is auctioned it comes with one key and not every fob programmed for the car.
I never knew that. Didn’t know there was a limit to how many could be programmed. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
There is a module that the FOB communicates with to enable the ignition functionality (WINS?) that will probably need to be replaced to allow a new FOB to be programmed for the car.

You can certainly ask a local dealership if they can make you a working FOB as-is, but don’t be surprised if they say they cannot without replacing some electronic module first to allow programming new FOBs to the car.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Maybe Charger fobs are different over the years but the body of my fob has a loop for attaching it to the key ring so that there, at the top doesn't happen. Fob stays attached to the key chain and the emergency key can be removed on its own.

I lost one of my keys and decided to have a regular car key cut separately that I used to lock and unlock the glove box so I didn't have to pull out the undersize emergency key all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts