Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo yea as the title says tonight i was heading out to a party and came across this black c5 vette with a pretty cute girl driven it...

go through one light and im just cruisen in front of her at like 50 mph and then i look at the passenger side view mirror and see her front end raise up i wasnt going to let her just sail by me so i open up the HEMI

i wasnt paying attention to my speed exactly but we hit a good 100+ and she just sat at my back bumper and never pulled....i know i should of gotten destroyed...i was amazed...then we both went our seperate ways with out a word

i was very impressed with my R/T with it being bone stock not even gotten its first oil change but she might of just been messing with me i dont know but a kill is a kill :grin:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
One of my friends just bout a c5 a month or two ago. We have never officially raced, but there was one time on the way to work, I cam around a turn and floored it and when he came around the corner he floored it, and he pulled on me.

The other time we raced was from a stop, and we agreed not to rev before launching because our exhaust is so loud we can't hear the countdown I was yelling over to him. He had a bad launch, and I pulled on him on that one.

One of these days we are going to race for real, and see who is faster.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Alot of C5 out here are not well taken care of.
That has alot ot do with it. Auto vs stick from a 50mph roll plays a part.
I played with a C5 on the highway when I got up to 120 or 130 the guy just pulled away.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I hate to say it, but the C5 will take the Charger. The base C5's were rated at 340hp (97-00) and 350ph (01-04). With the gearing (even the base gearing) and the fact that they are 1000 lbs lighter, they will have no problem overtaking a Charger. Now, if the driver of the C5 can't drive (there are a lot of C5 owners in this category), then it evens it right up in a hurry. I owned an 01 Z06 Corvette before my Daytona R/T. I won't even go into a Z06 vs. Charger. That just wouldn't be fair for the Charger...even the SRT-8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
C5 vs Charger

Come on, let compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. I love my Charger R/T, but after all, its still a 4 door sedan and not a 2 door sports car. I can still take 99% of all the 4 door sedans out there, maybe except for an occasional Maserati Quatroporte, but my car didnt cost $100K either.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
came across this black c5 vette with a pretty cute girl driven it...
I would've let her win.... every time, even if she started in 5th gear at 40mph.... :wink:

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
my dads has a black zo6 n he will jus pull away from me like nothin i hate to say it but corvettes are a bad ass car

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I hate to say it, but the C5 will take the Charger. The base C5's were rated at 340hp (97-00) and 350ph (01-04). With the gearing (even the base gearing) and the fact that they are 1000 lbs lighter, they will have no problem overtaking a Charger. Now, if the driver of the C5 can't drive (there are a lot of C5 owners in this category), then it evens it right up in a hurry. I owned an 01 Z06 Corvette before my Daytona R/T. I won't even go into a Z06 vs. Charger. That just wouldn't be fair for the Charger...even the SRT-8.
The C5 actually have 345 HP I think, and they are rated at 13.4 in the 1/4 mile. I think stock on stock, SRT and C5 would be a good race. Stock R/T and C5, that isn't even a race. With a modified R/T I think you could make it close.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
they are 1000 lbs lighter, they will have no problem overtaking a Charger.
Horsepower to weight ratios don't mean much. I think GM cars just have problems hooking up or something. Take the GTO for instance. 400 HP and I think they weigh about 3700 lbs. That is about the same hp/wt. ration as the vett. Yet, the best time I've ever seen a stock one run at the track is like 13.8. I actually beat a LS2 GTO last time at the track. I wish I had a video of it, no one probably believes me :grin:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trust me i know i should of been seeing those circle tail lights the whole way but she never came past me i dont know if she was just messing with me or what...i wish i could of followed and tryed again but i had places to go

ive driven a c5 zo6 and that is just one amazing car to say the least

·
Registered
151 Posts
Horsepower to weight ratios don't mean much. I think GM cars just have problems hooking up or something. Take the GTO for instance. 400 HP and I think they weigh about 3700 lbs. That is about the same hp/wt. ration as the vett. Yet, the best time I've ever seen a stock one run at the track is like 13.8. I actually beat a LS2 GTO last time at the track. I wish I had a video of it, no one probably believes me :grin:
The GTO doesn't have the gearing like the Corvettes. And their hp/wt ratio is less than the Corvette. Yes, it is meant to go fast, but GM will do whatever it can to slow down any vehicle so the Corvette is still their fastest car. My 01 Z06 had a hp/wt ratio that was better than the Viper that year. Yet, the Viper would still have eaten me up...and that was with only 385hp. There are a couple of issues that C5 Corvettes have when drag racing:
1. If it is a manual, the slave cylinder gets too hot and loses pressure. At the end of a quarter-mile run, no clutch. I'll tell you first hand, when this happens it is scary and it really sucks!!!
2. Wheel-hop!!! The rear end of a Corvette, if launched hard, has a tendency of wheel-hopping. You have to immediately get out of the gas and let the rear settle. If you don't, you could tear the crap out of the rear end and drive train.
Due to the gearing of the C5 Corvette (as long it wasn't equipped with the highway gears), the C5 will beat a stock Charger, Daytona R/T or SRT-8. The SRT-8 will be close, but if the C5 is driven by someone who can really drive a 6 speed, then the SRT-8 would be history. That is the big thing right there is the driver. Whenever you race, you are only as good as how well you drive or how far you are willing to take you car. My Z06, I didn't want to blow up anything, so I granny shifted it (6 speed). My best time was 12.73 seconds. The car was capable of running an 11.9 second quarter mile. I look forward to seeing what I can do in the Daytona, as now I don't have to worry about shifting the car. I can just concentrate on my reaction time. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts