Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The forum has helped take the Charger R/T from fourth to first on my list of new cars. I have friday off and am going to come home with a car, there are plenty of 07's locally and I have a good quote from one dealer.

I have one last question that won't make or break my decsion, but I am curious, as others might be:
Are the KBB and Edmunds used values really off? They show a used 06 R/T (base, no options) with 15k mi is worth ~$22800 +/-

If that's true, my Charger will only depreciate ~$1k in the first year. That can't be right. I looked in autotrader, but you can't really tell true selling prices by dealers jacked up asking prices. How accurate is KBB, Edmunds, etc?

Thanks again for the info I've researched and help. I'm getting an 07 R/T stone white, no options. I'll post the pic in my avatar this weekend!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The forum has helped take the Charger R/T from fourth to first on my list of new cars. I have friday off and am going to come home with a car, there are plenty of 07's locally and I have a good quote from one dealer.

I have one last question that won't make or break my decsion, but I am curious, as others might be:
Are the KBB and Edmunds used values really off? They show a used 06 R/T (base, no options) with 15k mi is worth ~$22800 +/-

If that's true, my Charger will only depreciate ~$1k in the first year. That can't be right. I looked in autotrader, but you can't really tell true selling prices by dealers jacked up asking prices. How accurate is KBB, Edmunds, etc?

Thanks again for the info I've researched and help. I'm getting an 07 R/T stone white, no options. I'll post the pic in my avatar this weekend!
KBB is accurate if you are the dealer buying cars. Look dealers are in business to make money and they do not care how they make it as long as they do. Our Dodge Chargers depreciate a whole lot more than a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota, but lets face it that is not why we bought the Charger to begin with. I would not buy a used Charger simply because there is not that much difference in price from a dealer for an 06 with 25,000 miles than a 07 with 2 miles. I do not know why but Dodge and the dealer want to make that new car sell more than selling a used 06 Charger. That is why many used 06s set around for a while and they sell the 07s quickly.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I was seriously looking at 06 SXT/SE, but the mere fact that I couldn't find one in my area with the options I wanted (Black, 6 speaker system) was the reason I went ahead and bought a new one. I didn't use kbb, but I looked around on AutoTrader forever.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
...Our Dodge Chargers depreciate a whole lot more than a Honda, Nissan, or Toyota, but lets face it that is not why we bought the Charger to begin with....07s quickly.
If the my R/T is really worth the ~$23k private party value KBB says it is in one year its one of the lowest depreciating cars you can buy
edit: or, I should say; if it can be sold in a reasonable time for $23k

·
Registered
228 Posts
They show a used 06 R/T (base, no options) with 15k mi is worth ~$22800 +/-

If that's true, my Charger will only depreciate ~$1k in the first year. That can't be right.
Why do you say $1000? A new 06 R/T with no options stickered for close to $30k, so that's like a 7 grand hit the first year. I ran my 06 R/T with R&T and some other options through KKB and got $28.3 as the Sugg. Retail Price ($23.1 trade-in). Since my car stickered for around $35K, that's a pretty big hit for one model year.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The depreciation is borderline insane on these cars :(.

I had an 07 Honda CR-V, 15,000 miles, and had a fairly bad front end collision. It was 6 months old when I traded it in and it had only deprecitated about $2000. When I went to trade in my 07 charger, mint condition, with less than 4,000 miles.. it had already depreciated $6,000?! Based on what I've read, KBB is inaccurate because it doesnt take into consideration that the dealers make offers based on the auction value, which is less than KBB? I beleive that's how it goes.. someone correct me if im wrong.:knockout:

·
Registered
276 Posts
The depreciation is borderline insane on these cars :(.

I had an 07 Honda CR-V, 15,000 miles, and had a fairly bad front end collision. It was 6 months old when I traded it in and it had only deprecitated about $2000. When I went to trade in my 07 charger, mint condition, with less than 4,000 miles.. it had already depreciated $6,000?! Based on what I've read, KBB is inaccurate because it doesnt take into consideration that the dealers make offers based on the auction value, which is less than KBB? I beleive that's how it goes.. someone correct me if im wrong.:knockout:
yes that is correct they use a blackbook forgot who publishes it but it is 10-20 percent less than KBB. My old 1995 Prelude (granted it is modified) is going to sell for around 6-7 grand. Like it or not imports hold their value more than domestic cars. One thing I do love about our cars is the cheap parts prices. Honda parts a crazy expensive.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
If the my R/T is really worth the ~$23k private party value KBB says it is in one year its one of the lowest depreciating cars you can buy
edit: or, I should say; if it can be sold in a reasonable time for $23k
go to any dealer in your area and ask them if they gave you more than 20 grand for your car I would be surprised....

·
Registered
287 Posts
I use the KBB more as a yard stick than a true register of a specific cars value. Basically, it comes down to what someone, a dealership etc. is willing to pay for your vehicle on that day and with current "market conditions".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Best way to guarantee a trade in, is to go to local CarMax or place that buys used cars. They will appraise and give guarantee price that is good for 7 days. You don't need to buy at CarMax if you accept the offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts