Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a noob to this forum, but not to cars. I'm a cop in Alabama and have been given the privilege of turning an 07 Police Charger into a "show/concept" car. The budget isn't huge, but should get us going. One of the first things I wanted to do was a CAI.

I knew the reputation of K&N and purchased the Air Charger for my unit (that's what we call a CAR not the other thing). Though installation was easy, I was not thrilled with the fit. It rode just a little high and the weather-stripping on the top of the heat box made the hood not close flush with the left quarter panel. The fit at the bottom wasn't so hot either.

I then purchased an S&B. Not only was the tube slightly bigger, the airbox had an outlet that extended down into the factory hole into the wheel well. Seems to me this would help draw more cool air.

Long story, a little shorter: I think the S&B is better engineered for my application. Love the way it sounds...performance, mileage gains? Eh, who knows. No dyno close by and the city pays for gas!:D

BTW, Love the forum and it has already proved quite useful. I'll post some pictures as we get "full into" the project. It should be bitchin'.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
hey! well first of all welcome to the forum! and second, thanks for giving us your opinion about the two cai's. i've never heard about the s&b before you mentioned it and i dont remember ever seeing a thread about it on here. could you post some pics of yours so i can get an idea for what it looks like? it sounds cool

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the "unit". BTW where did you purchase the S&B/

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
get an afe stage 2.
everythign else is garbage.
btw. i love you cuz your a cop. just ask everybody here.. they know i love cops.

but on a more real note.
check out lxforums.com and research on the modsface off and they have a lotta cool comparisons.

ive never heard of an s&b. im pretty partial to the afe with the giant filter and the nice airox as well as the quality of product. it has a good rep ;)

my .02

that way you can put different things on your unit and play with it.
tehee

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
get an afe stage 2.
everythign else is garbage.
btw. i love you cuz your a cop. just ask everybody here.. they know i love cops.
Funny, everything else is "garbage" and you haven't heard of S&B. Don't be so quick to bash something with which your not familiar.

Here's a link to S&B's Charger Filter:
http://www.sbfilters.com/product_display.php?id=2859
Note: the picture they show has the airbox rotated 90 degrees clockwise so you can see the filter and cover. I'll post pictures of the actual install soon.

What impressed me about the S&B was how it was engineered to be so "model specific", i.e., making use of the existing air inlet in the engine compartment.

By the way, S&B posts FULL testing data for this model which shows the CFM to be 200 @ 1.79" H2O. The best I could find for AFE Stage 2 was 183 CFM @ 1.5" (for a 2004 Ford F150...I don't think that's the same as a Charger :confused: ).

Anyway, I don't want to start a war here, but just 'cause you own it, don't make it the best. I like the S&B and you like the AFE. That's the beauty of the good ol' US of A!

PS, Glad you love cops. So does my wife!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Haven't heard of the S&B, however on lxforums they do a cool thing called mods face off where they dyno test all of the CAI's...in addition to many other LX performance modifications. They had a lot of them there with good testing procedures and the only two to show a dyno increase were the AFE and Air Hammer. Go with the sure thing and save your money, the AFE is cheap too, should be able to get ont from Southern Hot Rod for about $250 shipped.

They all provide a great sound, but performance - very few do that. Good luck!

Eric

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Haven't heard of the S&B, however on lxforums they do a cool thing called mods face off where they dyno test all of the CAI's...in addition to many other LX performance modifications. They had a lot of them there with good testing procedures and the only two to show a dyno increase were the AFE and Air Hammer. Go with the sure thing and save your money, the AFE is cheap too, should be able to get ont from Southern Hot Rod for about $250 shipped.

They all provide a great sound, but performance - very few do that. Good luck!

Eric
like i said....

you mentioned tube size. i think a 300 lb man could fit their arm inside the afe tube and stick their fingers out into the throttle side.

frankly im not sure that anyone here knows what s&b is.if they do they probably work on lots of different cars ;)

the afestage 2 air box is open to the top.
so is k&n
so is mopar stage 2
airhammer(custom made by a guy on lxforums) doesnt even have an airbox cuz the filter is so damn big.

its the best because it has an airbox and rated the 2nd highest on a dyno when testing was done on the same car with over 5 different CAI's.

the highest rating(airhammer) has a bigger filter, but no airbox.

(rating being improved tq/hp the most)

the afe stage 2 also is built for the charger specifically. it has a clip for the coolant resivoir to hold it snug as well as a hole in teh bottom of the air box for the stock air inlet from the bumper.

you ought to see if the dept. will let you drop a grand on a ram air hood to blow air onto it :D

but dont take our advice by goin to the www.lxforums.com mods face of section, like more han 1 person has suggested and reading about real results. stick with s&b its the best :D.

btw, im not partial to the afe just because i own it. im partial to it, because after spending months researching about intakes(and other things too, lots of other things....) i settled on it because it clearly is proven to BE the best.

·
Registered
198 Posts
it appears to be a volant copy. there have been lots of test here and over at lxforums.com as to the performance increase from CAI's. AFE and Airhammer have shows actual gains. if your building a show car for looks, performance gains don't really matter. if had a chance to go back, i would get the AFE.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
rfourt, dont let these guys get you down. it seems like 80% of the forum is obsessed w/ afe stage 2 and now that they've bought one its all their interested in. but there are still lots of people like me interested in different cai's, and we'll be waiting for u to post those pictures!

btw this guy never said it was better than afe, he just said it was better than the k&n, and i totally believe him about that since he has both systems

and another thing, try and pronounce his name (rfourt). remind you of anybody?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
I bought a S&B intake for my charger last year in July. Its pretty nice. I bought it from RPMonline.com. I dont have pics but I could get some wednesday.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pix of S&B

Here are a few pix of the S&B installed in my PoPo unit.

For inquiring minds, here's a note about the red vent tube. I wanted to purchase the colorful silicone hoses but they are kinda pricey (remember, public sector = -$).

Anyway, I bought a can of Plasti Dip and sprayed several coats on the tube. It turned out pretty so I sprayed a small area on the upper rad hose. It appears to be adhering quite well. It will peel with a lot of effort, but in normal use, I don't think it will be a problem.

So, if you're looking for a cheap alternative to the silicone hose or if you want to dress up the hoses that aren't available in silicone...try the Plasti Dip. It comes in red, blue, yellow, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
so does it fit up to that hole, with no air comin in from the engine bay? or just bump up real clsoe to it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It has about a 4 inch tube that inserts through the hole...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts