Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got the K&N installed. It sounds great and the tires chirped going into second with the 20s. Its late so I'll write more at another time.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I thought I read in one of the forum threads that replacing the stock air filter assembly with aftermarket would void the warranty? If I am wrong, then great, if not, then I'll have to wait until the cut down warranty expires... :cry:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Almost forgot, the K&N does look great though.....congrats!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
How much of a noise difference? I noticed my Charger started sounding a little better after about 300 or so miles. Is it just a little louder and more defined? Job looks good BTW. Especially if you finished it up around 3:00am (not sure if forum time matches your zone or not).

So, when are you doing the exhaust? :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only way a modification can void the warranty is if the part can be proven to have caused the specific problem with the car. Plus Mopar offers its own intakes for the Charger/Magnum/300.
As for the noise difference, the best way I can describe it is that the engine now has a mean growl. ;) I'll be getting the Borla exhaust in a few months. Thinking of going with the system with the quiet note so the headers can make up the difference later. :yes:

·
Banned
99 Posts
ChargerOsix said:
The only way a modification can void the warranty is if the part can be proven to have caused the specific problem with the car. Plus Mopar offers its own intakes for the Charger/Magnum/300.
As for the noise difference, the best way I can describe it is that the engine now has a mean growl. ;) I'll be getting the Borla exhaust in a few months. Thinking of going with the system with the quiet note so the headers can make up the difference later. :yes:

K&N's are like not running a filter. They allow big pieces of dirt in the engine and promote early engine wear. Hope its a lease or you plan to flip it early in its life. I bet the Mopar version has a better filter than the K&N. Good luck if you have any problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
adaptabl said:
K&N's are like not running a filter. They allow big pieces of dirt in the engine and promote early engine wear. Hope its a lease or you plan to flip it early in its life. I bet the Mopar version has a better filter than the K&N. Good luck if you have any problems.

That is a load of crap, What are you basing that research on? K&N filters are much better than stock filters and they do not let big pieces of dirt in the engine or promote early engine wear. If you had ever installed one, you would know that.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The Mopar Performance (the Performance name is the key, all these part numbers start with P) air filters carry the same warranty implications as any other aftermarket pieces.

I disagree with the K&N causing damage statement. If you have some sort of proof of that, I would love to see it.

It's really hard to imagine any way a filter could cause damage, but I have heard of dealers saying the extra air takes the engine management system outside of it's parameters, causing it to not operate the engine properly. Nuts, but they (the nbad ones) say anything that comes to mind:)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
T/A Rumbler said:
That is a load of crap, What are you basing that research on? K&N filters are much better than stock filters and they do not let big pieces of dirt in the engine or promote early engine wear. If you had ever installed one, you would know that.
k&n filters work great on old school carb engines, the problem on these newer engines is they are sequential point fuel injected. The oil that is sprayed on the filter will begin to accumulate on the throttle plate and IAC. K&N uses larger gaps in the filter media to promote better air flow and the oil is used to trap larger dirt, WHICH DOESN'T ALWAYS WORK!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I base my use of K&N filters on people I know with sand rails and quads....

Run a K&N in the dirt, run a paper filter in the sand...

basically how I corrispond this to my dauly driver... paper filter in the summer and durring monsoon season.... K&N in the winter and spring....

the oil issue is from people who OVER oil the filter... it can also cause issues with the MAF, as the excess oil burns onto the wire sensors in the MAF, causing the engine to run abnormally....

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
After doing some looking and research, my apologies, CS. The bimmer guys posted results of an indepedant test done by the UK equivelent of SEMA, which showed pretty much what CS says about particulates. And some stories from the Land Rover guys in Africa, where you would expect any dust related problem to be over the top.

http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/K&NFilters.html

I'm convinced. Mine'll be coming off the -4 pretty soon here. I believed in Fram for years til I saw data, I have not installed one since. Always be ready to accept that something you've believed can be wrong:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
So fellas, what is the bottom line. Should you get just a K&N filter, install the whole K&N system for better air flow, or leave the darn thing alone so the engine can work properly. :confused:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Myself, I'll probably go with whatever Mopar turns out for the 6.1, that's if I can get any mods at all snuck by:) After almost 4K into the SRT-4, she's already saying no more for the -8:) Time will tell:)

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I personally saw the intake tract of a cummins that had a K&N on it and it had a fine film of sludge, which can't be good for the engine. Also the new factory paper filters have about twice the surface area than cotton gauze would have and the air boxes themselves are engineered to reduce turbulance without increasing intake noise...I'm sure that mopar performance will have a cold air intake available shortly, if it will make a significant difference in performance...

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I remember seeing on the Dodge Truck Forums some comments regarding CAI's. Seemed the people putting them on their Ram HEMI's were experiencing only slight power increases/mileage differences. One comment from a Dodge Rep on the forums was that the DC engineers had done an excellent job on the intakes/breathing for the HEMI and therefore aftermarket brands were making the performance differences negligible. Cost versus benefit (data only from viewed posts) is what kept me from spending the bucks on CAI for my personal Ram HEMI. May very well be the case with the Charger HEMI. Actual performance/power/mpg benefit could be minimal due to outstanding engineering on the part of DC. I guess we'll all have to wait for more of our Charger HEMI brothers and sisters to post their personal findings on Chargerforums.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HERE is something I am working on with the K&N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had personal experience with the K&N close to the ground making it even more subjected to possible damage or inhalation.

No problems.

That said I have ingested water into a few engines when there intakes were submerged (seriosly deep in water for extended time 4X4) and once the spark plugs were removed and the engine dried out they started just fine and ran for years and years after.

Lets be serious people have been adding K&N intakes for years and 99% of the time they are people using common sense and have no immediate or long lasting problems.

You know for the person who is having nightmares of engine damage due to particulate entering there engine you might also want some other paranoia to add to your mess. Try worrying about the cold start. Yes your engine spends some of its time as metal to metal and this creates more particulate than even the lamest intake will let in. Place chalkboard scraping sound here.

I could go on but I am sure if you do the “research” you will find more fear than you need.

All that said you don’t have to change the car its great as it is.

Ty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts