Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new issue of Car And Driver today and noticed an advertisement for the K&N Intake System for the Dodge Charger 5.7 and 6.1. It says that it will give the the car 21 hp to the wheels. This definitely seems like an investment that I want to make but I would like some feedback. Does anyone here have this system and is the power increase noticeable. thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Last time I checked, the K&N website had dyno reports for their intakes and engines. I would look there to see where the 20 hp is achieved and what RPM range. Airhammer also has dyno facts. Other vendors don't have anything to validate their claims.

I have the 3.5 engine and the K&N dyno is talking about 10 HP @ 6000 RPM. In the 1500-3000 RPM range there was no gain. My car is a cruiser and rarely sees the 6000 RPM range. For me an intake doesn't pay off because there are no gains in the normal operating RPM range :(

Good luck -

·
Registered
46 Posts
I already have this installed on my 5.7 and like you said K & N gives the infor for 21 horse. Yes not only do you hear the difference but you also will feel the difference especially if and when you had an exhaust system.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree Installed the K&N series 63 and had noticable improvment in performance. Just did the Brylcreem to the exhaust and notice even more improvment.

I wouldn't say I seen 21 RWHP from the CAI but I did notice a diff.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
The K&N CAI will sound good but dont expect 20 horses...maybe 1-5....get the AFE Stage 2 if you want power and looks....good for 8-10 horses...I have tried several diff CAIs....and AZCHARGER will say the same....he has tried almost every CAI..

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Same here :smoke: I droped a K&N C.A.I in my 5.7 HEMI.
OMG!!! At WOT it sounded so much MEANER!! :grin:
You feel more power

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
i checked the web site they have 2 intake 1 tht add 12 hp and 1 tht does 21 im getting the 21 hp soon =)

·
Registered
676 Posts
You won't see 21 rear wheel horse power from ANY CAI. Period. If you have a full exhaust system EX- headers, high flow cats and a flow through cat back without any obstructions to the exhaust you probably might see a 20 HP increase (EDIT- at the crank) from the CAI, though I don't know about 21 to the back wheels.

That just sounds to good to be true imo. 1-15 is more realistic.

·
Registered
271 Posts
noticed some difference from the K&N, def a meaner sound. The big difference in power and performance came when I removed the stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Buy it for the sound, not for the increase in power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts