Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was just watching NASCAR qualifying at Talladega when commentator Larry McReynolds mentioned that the new Dodge Charger will not look like the original Chargers, but instead will look like the Dodge Magnum.
As a result, I have just one question for Daimler Management, "Are you on CRACK?"

Allpar.com has photos of railroad cars carrying Ford Maverick look-alikes with a subscript asking, "Could these be the Chargers?" In an effort to cut corners and to make a quick buck has Daimler slapped a Seattle Slew halter on an old Army mule?

It may be time for the true Charger loyalists to join forces and push for a name change of this vehicle in an effort to save the Charger's legacy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mark Ebert said:
I was just watching NASCAR qualifying at Talladega when commentator Larry McReynolds mentioned that the new Dodge Charger will not look like the original Chargers, but instead will look like the Dodge Magnum.
As a result, I have just one question for Diamler Management, "Are you on CRACK?"
Have you seen the photos?

Or read the New York Times article?

They're on something. I can't wait (in the watching-a-plane-crash-in-slow-motion sense of "can't wait") to see what abominations they commit with the other old trademarks they're reregistering...

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is the end! The Magnum IS selliing well, so I guess they figured they could make a clone, merge it with the Super 8 (THE UGLIEST JUNK CONCEPT OF ALL TIME) and slap one of the greatest brand names of all time on it.

We have the second coming of the Cordoba Charger!

The Nascar Dodge just looks the way it does because of the common template issue. It will look more like the flying brick that it represents in 2006, when Nascar makes the cars look like the trucks. So, I was wrong.

I wish they didn't name the thing Charger.

I think we are about to enter another era of design like the mid seventies, when they slapped the Road Runner name on a Volare. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They have destroyed it for me. I was drooling over the concept for 5 years now and they bring this crap out. I'm gonna go puke now.

Thanks to everybody here for all the early info. I'm glad I came here instead of waiting to see it in the showrooms.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mark Ebert said:
Allpar.com has photos of railroad cars carrying Ford Maverick look-alikes with a subscript asking, "Could these be the Chargers?" In an effort to cut corners and to make a quick buck has Diamler slapped a Seattle Slew halter on an old Army mule?
You know the maverick does look VERY similar, and didnt daimler hire a bunch of ford execs lately ? Could the maverick be the next 2 door charger ? (look at that rear side window, fenders and roofline)

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
EVERRET said:
You know the maverick does look VERY similar, and didnt daimler hire a bunch of ford execs lately ? Could the maverick be the next 2 door charger ? (look at that rear side window, fenders and roofline)

Maybe Ford has the right idea and is letting these newbies "ruin" dodge... j/k

·
Registered
16 Posts
if it's gonna compete with Rustang and Camaarroo, then they might wanna put the Charger name on it. ::crossing fingers::

·
Registered
26 Posts
hemidakota said:
No. A muscle car that will be the Mustang's | Camaro competition.
But those cars have 2 doors. It's a simple equation for me, if you want to compete with the 2 door market you need a 2 door car.

You might want to add the new Pontiac GTO to that list.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Barracuda and the Challenger were Mustang's competition.

Dodge has seen with marketing two-doors in mass quanities don't do well unless a ragtop. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
so will this new 2 door variant be on the shortened LX wheelbase? I know the Challenger name has been tossed around too, but more in relation to the Avenger concept replacing the Sebring/Stratus. Like most folks, all I want is a 2 door coupe with the 6.1L. I don't even care if it has a 6 speed or automatic. I don't want a limited production car, either because that just drives up prices. If it competes with the Rustang and GTO, then so be it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No doubt, but I'd really rather not try to sift through that swamp of a thread on Allpar.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some stuff to digest:

http://www.allpar.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=44211

(Michael88 @ Sep 13 2004, 04:48 PM)
Dodge will get a mid-size 4 door hatchback called the Avenger. The Avenger will be RC Rally inspired and look similar to the concept with a different front end. Dodge will also get a coupe a few months later called the Challenger. The Challenger will be available in coupe and 4 door coupe variants.

Chrysler will get a mid-size sedan with styling similar to that of the Chryler Airflite. In fact, the Sebring replacement will simply be known as "Airflite". The airflite will feature cat-eye headlights (similar to the Airflite concept). The Airflite will also feauture and arched window treatment with very thin B-Pillars to give the impression of a pilarless window treatment. Chrysler will also get a convertible version to replace the Sebring convertible. The Sebring name will be kept and will essentially be a Chrysler convertible version of the Dodge Challenger coupe. It is speculated that the Sebring convertible could be renamed Chrysler Barracuda. Styling will be similar to that of the Chrysler Crossfire.

*All of the vehicle mentioned above are based on a stretched and widened version of the next generation Mitsubishi Lancer. Rumours suggest the Sebring convertible replacement could be LX based, but a Lancer based convertible is more likely.

*DCX will get a wide range of vehicles using this architecture. Examples include the Neon replacement, a neon based coupe (Razor?) and a small Dodge compact pick-up (M80?). Jeep will also use this architecture.

*Chrylser Sebring coupe will not be replaced.

NEONBOI remrks:

Michael ur cooking with grease buddy! The Challenger, airflite, avenger, sebring are coming to shap summer of 2006 with talk of a 3rd shift being adding later that year. Stratus and neon names are dead according to insiders...stay tuned.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Challenger would be great! What engine will they put in it, though? If it's Lancer based, that means no Hemi and no real competition for the Rustang and GTO. I really hope they don't use the Barracuda name on a Chrysler. That'd just be wrong! Thanks, HD!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts