Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, today I traded my 2018 White Knuckle Challenger RT with just 24kmiles for a new Frostbite Blue Charger Scat Pack. It is in transport so won’t have it for a few weeks but really excited of course. Could not pass up the great trade in value, and have been wanting the 392 almost since the day I bought the RT. Never have driven a Charger, nor a 392, ha!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,133 Posts
Well a few things you might want to know about the differences.

Welcome to the forum, I'll get into this as I was deep into Challengers before I purchased the Charger.

So the Challenger has less room inside. The Charger is more roomier and more comfortable to drive. It's the same seats but it feels like the ride quality is more planted in the Charger then the Charger.

The Trunk is bigger as the opening is bigger. It's not that much bigger but it's a nice upgrade.

The back seat is way more comfortable for people to sit in.

The Seats are full electric not just the bottom. I hated that about the Challenger.

The door interior handles are located in a much better place on the Charger. Makes way more sense.

The hood is much smaller feeling as it curves down on the Charger which makes the car drive smaller. he driving experience is way more comfortable due to this fact.

The factory exhaust is louder. You probably will not want a aftermarket exhaust, especially coming from a R/T . It's amazing sounding and your gonna love it I bet.

Now one thing your gonna have to get use to is the intense throttle response over the 5.7, It's gonna take some getting use to. And depending on what tires you got, it's gonna spin out way more easily than the 5.7. The Stock 245's are useless in my opinion. I changed mine out at only 5000 miles. Actually They felt dangerous and I didn't want my wife to drive it as she has a heavy foot and I can see her getting into trouble with it.

The Frostbite color is what I wanted to get, but I ended up Pitch Black as I went around the entire color wheel and couldn't lock in on a color. Frostbite is beautiful and I almost got a Daytona 392 in Frostbite which was awesome.

Any questions you may have especially compared to the Challenger , ask away my friend. The Charger IMO is the better overall choice . I love the Challenger but much rather be behind the wheel of a Charger. You will find many things you will like more with the Charger.

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Welcome to the forum, I'll get into this as I was deep into Challengers before I purchased the Charger.

So the Challenger has less room inside. The Charger is more roomier and more comfortable to drive. It's the same seats but it feels like the ride quality is more planted in the Charger then the Charger.

The Trunk is bigger as the opening is bigger. It's not that much bigger but it's a nice upgrade.

The Seats are full electric not just the bottom. I hated that about the Challenger.

The door interior handles are located in a much better place on the Charger. Makes way more sense.

The hood is much smaller feeling as it curves down on the Charger which makes the car drive smaller. he driving experience is way more comfortable due to this fact.

The factory exhaust is louder. You probably will not want a aftermarket exhaust, especially coming from a R/T . It's amazing sounding and your gonna love it I bet.

Now one thing your gonna have to get use to is the intense throttle response over the 5.7, It's gonna take some getting use to. And depending on what tires you got, it's gonna spin out way more easily than the 5.7. The Stock 245's are useless in my opinion. I changed mine out at only 5000 miles. Actually They felt dangerous and I didn't want my wife to drive it as she has a heavy foot and I can see her getting into trouble with it.

The Frostbite color is what I wanted to get, but I ended up Pitch Black as I went around the entire color wheel and couldn't lock in on a color. Frostbite is beautiful and I almost got a Daytona 392 in Frostbite which was awesome.

Any questions you may have especially compared to the Challenger , ask away my friend. The Charger IMO is the better overall choice . I love the Challenger but much rather be behind the wheel of a Charger. You will find many things you will like more with the Charger.

Thank you for the great insights! I am surprised about the exhaust being louder on the Charger…would expect the Challenger to be louder just based on the idea that the Challenger is more of a “brute” of a car (as I see it). And I always have felt from the outside, the challenger seems like it would be larger inside… even the challenger seems it would be overall a longer car but I checked the specs and see the Charger is overall longer, interesting (illusion). Thanks again! These couple of weeks waiting with nothing but our Rav4 will be aweful.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The Chargers have a way more wicked throatier sound to them. I wouldn’t change my exhaust at all. Dodge hit the nail on the head with these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The Chargers have a way more wicked throatier sound to them. I wouldn’t change my exhaust at all. Dodge hit the nail on the head with these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel the same way. before I purchased my Charger, I was already hunting a new Cat back Exhaust. Then after owning it for a few weeks, I completely changed my opinion on the exhaust note stock, it's totally wonderful.

·
Registered
583 Posts
And if you really want to hear the exhaust put a front window down.
The front windows are laminate glass and kills a lot of the sound.
After a couple of thousand miles it seem the exhaust gets even louder.
Modify the exhaust? Why ?
Love the exhaust just the way it is !!!!!

·
Registered
2013 RT Plus AWD
176 Posts
Welcome from Pittsburgh, Steve! I've test driven a Challenger Scat as well as a Charger Scat, and I preferred the Charger for a lot of the reasons Mantis lists above. You'll also enjoy the extra hp of the Scat. Have fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question about the tires… I assume my tires will be the Goodyear’s… same I had on the Challenger and honestly never really liked them. I replaced them with Michelin’s which rode better, steered better, and had more grip. What did you put on?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
To tame the throttle response on 2019-up, just run in ECO mode. The second gear starts make for a much smoother start but you still have full power if you need it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Question, since you offered: MDS mode seemed intrusive on my Challenger 5.7… meani g it was very obvious, and it kicked in when it shouldn’t and stayed in MDS longer than it should. The dealer gave me a new Ram truck with the 5.7 which has MDS and I could not even tell when it went into MDS, so I am curious what others experience on the 392… is it as obvious as on the 5.7?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Question, since you offered: MDS mode seemed intrusive on my Challenger 5.7… meani g it was very obvious, and it kicked in when it shouldn’t and stayed in MDS longer than it should. The dealer gave me a new Ram truck with the 5.7 which has MDS and I could not even tell when it went into MDS, so I am curious what others experience on the 392… is it as obvious as on the 5.7?
I've had three Challengers (1st two were 6 spds), the last one was a '16 SRT with MDS, which made a noticeable vibration when engaged. I always turned the MDS off because I hated the loss of power and vibrations. I traded it in for a SP WB and the transition from 8 to 4 cylinder is much less noticeable both going in and out of MDS. I did do a customized drive mode with the MDS off, but I rarely bother to use it. The MDS with the 392 engine works much better in the Charger than the Challenger, at least the ones I've driven. It may be comparing apples and oranges since the Challenger was 5 yo and the Charger less than one week! My SRT did feel that way from the start though, so maybe they've improved it?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Question about the tires… I assume my tires will be the Goodyear’s… same I had on the Challenger and honestly never really liked them. I replaced them with Michelin’s which rode better, steered better, and had more grip. What did you put on?
I got the Continental DWS06 Plus in 275/40ZR20 size. I also upgraded my wheels from the stock 9 x 20 Gray to the 9.5 Satin Black Dynamics package wheels.

Some very rare photos here, my car is actually dusty and dirty. I took these photos before I put the wheels on and right after. After the photos, she got a nice maintenance wash.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Oh yes you know, it feels real sluggish and the exhaust note changes to a strange rumble. I basically hate MDS and only use it on the highway. Even then sometimes I get annoyed and turn it off.
If you use ECO or STREET mode, it will engage at will, if you use SPORT or TRACK it stays off. I drive around town in SPORT, I like how the car feels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so it seems I can expect the experience to generally be the same as on my Challenger 5.7… thx all. Still about a week away before being able to pick up the new Charger…

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think the 245's where dangerous. You can so easily break traction even when you don't want to. Making a turn at a red light going left is the worse. You have to feather the pedal .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, seemed like a forever wait, Picked up my new Charger Scat Pack today. Wow what a fantastic hour ride home! The Frostbite is even better than I expected. My initial thoughts impression as compared to my Challenger 5.7: Charger seems roomier inside (and just talking about the front), Charger seems just a little nicer inside, fit and finish of body panels clearly better than my Challenger. Charger seems a little quieter but exhaust definitely is different sounding. Ride is about the same, maybe just a littler stiffer and my Challenger did have the “sport” suspension. Of course way more power in the Charger and I haven’t even really tested it. MDS seems much smoother to engage and disengage, and when engaged doesn’t seem as bothersome or intrusive. I must say, the Charger seems GREAT!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ok, seemed like a forever wait, Picked up my new Charger Scat Pack today. Wow what a fantastic hour ride home! The Frostbite is even better than I expected. My initial thoughts impression as compared to my Challenger 5.7: Charger seems roomier inside (and just talking about the front), Charger seems just a little nicer inside, fit and finish of body panels clearly better than my Challenger. Charger seems a little quieter but exhaust definitely is different sounding. Ride is about the same, maybe just a littler stiffer and my Challenger did have the “sport” suspension. Of course way more power in the Charger and I haven’t even really tested it. MDS seems much smoother to engage and disengage, and when engaged doesn’t seem as bothersome or intrusive. I must say, the Charger seems GREAT!!!! View attachment 299382
She’s a beauty. Mine is in transit still, coming all the way to souther California from Canada so it will take a while. The wait is killer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts