Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was told to just pick up a pair of R/T pipes. what will they do for me performance/ sound wise? i would love to have a set of double pipes nevertheless.

Thanks,
Joe Cerillo

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
dude hit up sublimeon22s, hes selling his R/T exhaust

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
The R/T exhaust is the way to go. Most of the catback systems out there cause stock v6's to lose low end torque and instead distribute that power to the upper rpm range.
From what I understand, the R/T exhaust wont help with performance at all, just the sound, if you want any (though very very small gains) performance, Magnaflow/Flowmasters I've heard help. The R/T exhaust isn't designed around the six cylinder, and has a wider diameter tubing than say Magnaflow, which is 2.25" as opposed to the R/T which has 2.50" the larger the tube the less pressure. Granted I'm hardly any type of expert, but just my two cents. Good luck!:driving:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok!!! so today i had a custom flowmaster True dual exaust, no single in dual out bs... REAL DEAL DUAL FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES CUSTOM FABRICATED. the guy at meinike did me a favor and did it for cost in exchange for business with the dealership.. I LOVE IT. ILL PUT UP SOME PICS AND A VIDEO FOR YOU GUYS

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
From what I understand, the R/T exhaust wont help with performance at all, just the sound, if you want any (though very very small gains) performance, Magnaflow/Flowmasters I've heard help. The R/T exhaust isn't designed around the six cylinder, and has a wider diameter tubing than say Magnaflow, which is 2.25" as opposed to the R/T which has 2.50" the larger the tube the less pressure. Granted I'm hardly any type of expert, but just my two cents. Good luck!:driving:
i agree with this for the most part.

2.25 on duals for our size engine is prime...unless you have major mods....nitrous of forced induction.

reduction of backpressure (which is good) comes from one of two things:

1) oversized pipes, but this slows exhaust velocity...which kills the scavenging effect and kills low end power and torque mainly.

2) correct sized pipes, which keeps exhaust velocity or sometimes actually RAISES it a bit, and due to the velocity staying or increasing, low end power is kept the same or gained.

small post with a bit more indepth quotes: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1264149&postcount=3

R/T exhaust still runs restrictive mufflers....why do you think people are giving em away and getting performance setups themselves? the pipes are open...the mufflers are the restrictive pieces in exhausts.

an R/T exhaust can improve performance though....with aftermarket mufflers would be a better ordeal, but due to the larger size, most of the gains are moved to mid and top end.

Magnaflow, Borla, Cherry Bomb, Zoomers, etc all run 2.25 on the V6's.... all the major companies have spent time and cash doing the R&D testing to find this out.

replicate whats proven and you cant really go wrong.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
i agree with this for the most part.

2.25 on duals for our size engine is prime...unless you have major mods....nitrous of forced induction.

reduction of backpressure (which is good) comes from one of two things:

1) oversized pipes, but this slows exhaust velocity...which kills the scavenging effect and kills low end power and torque mainly.

2) correct sized pipes, which keeps exhaust velocity or sometimes actually RAISES it a bit, and due to the velocity staying or increasing, low end power is kept the same or gained.

small post with a bit more indepth quotes: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1264149&postcount=3

R/T exhaust still runs restrictive mufflers....why do you think people are giving em away and getting performance setups themselves? the pipes are open...the mufflers are the restrictive pieces in exhausts.

an R/T exhaust can improve performance though....with aftermarket mufflers would be a better ordeal, but due to the larger size, most of the gains are moved to mid and top end.

Magnaflow, Borla, Cherry Bomb, Zoomers, etc all run 2.25 on the V6's.... all the major companies have spent time and cash doing the R&D testing to find this out.

replicate whats proven and you cant really go wrong.:bigthumb:
Thanks for the info! I was hoping I knew what I was talking about because I want to get the Magnaflow true duals, good call on the link too. :driving:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Stumblin Steve said:
Thanks for the info! I was hoping I knew what I was talking about because I want to get the Magnaflow true duals, good call on the link too.
you mean their dual exhaust?

"true duals" in its most easiest exhaust term, refers to two pipes that NEVER cross, intersect, or converge. no use of X or H pipes, no Y pipe connectors.

the Magnaflow dual exhaust for v6's, is what i run, and well worth it, but not a true dual by its simplest definition.

but it is a dual exhaust. :bigthumb:

These cars suck on low end to begin with lol
maybe yours does, but i run 18 inch wheels.... i have no problems AT ALL with low end power...

maybe running 24 inch wheels is your bane??? not to mention the diameter first most has to affect your gearing, cause overall, 24's def wont be a "plus 1, plus 2, or plus 3" sizing. the smaller diameter and the less the weight, the faster the car is to get into motion and accelerate. larger the wheel, the worse the low end sucks. thats why most farm tractors running 4 feet tall wheels take so much torque to get moving.... ;) the car isnt the problem, its your choice in wheel size. if you like it, run it....but cant criticize the car for not being in performance sync with your choice...

monster trucks can do burnouts with their wheels and tires measuring in at 700lbs EACH, and 5.5 FEET TALL......however they had to increase the power of their V8's to around 12-1500HP and upwards of 1400TQ

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
it sucked to me when i had the stockers..off the line. im just saying man.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts