Charger Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I'm preparing to change out my coolant this weekend on my 06 SRT8, and just have a couple quick questions here... I have purchased the Xerex G05 Hoat antifreeze, I also have the special Miller Tool funnel required... My question is, I know that there's a drain/vent plug somewhere that needs to be pulled, does anyone know where that guy is, maybe a pic?... Also, I've read that I'll need a barbed connector to install the funnel hose onto for refill, any idea of what size and where to install it?... I've also read about air bleed valve be opened when refilling, where is that guy located?... Any other tricks or secrets to make this as simple as possible?...

·
Registered
171 Posts
the drain petcock is under the passenger side of the radiator. there is a hole in the plastic shield, with a hose coming out, that be the drain. be very careful as the petcock is both made of plastic...and kind of hard to open, don't break it. I didn't use a special funnel and I'm not sure about the barbed fitting. the only think I can think is to put one in the bleeder hole on the water pump, and run some hose so it doesn't spill when you fill it. that is the same bleeder you open when you fill the system...slowly. it's an allen head plug on the water pump, if you are going to install a barbed fitting it's 1/2" npt. I did this trying to work an air bubble out of my killer glass. I gave it some gas and blew the hose off the barbed fitting, thoroughly soaking almost the entire engine bay, don't do that. good luck,
bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh alright, so the vent/bleeder bolt is just the allen head on the front of the water pump?... I swear I read somewhere that there were a couple vent bolts that needed to be removed from the block to drain it properly, is that not the case?...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, here is a pic, supposedly this is the coolant drain plug located on the engine block somewhere, anyone have any idea where this guy is?... For the life of me, I can't figure out where it's located...

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
yes, there are two plugs in the block as well. I don't have a picture or remember exactly where they were, but I do know that they were in there really tight and I busted up my knuckle getting em' out. there is a pic out there on the web somewhere.

bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh so there are two of them?... Can you remember appx. where on the block, rear, front, I imagine there's probably one per side, correct?... So releasing these two I assume will drain out the remainder of the coolant in the block correct?... Will they happen to vacate the coolant in the heater core as well?... Thanks again for all the help...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh so there are two of them?... Can you remember appx. where on the block, rear, front, I imagine there's probably one per side, correct?... So releasing these two I assume will drain out the remainder of the coolant in the block correct?... Will they happen to vacate the coolant in the heater core as well?... Thanks again for all the help...
This thread from the LX forum should help you.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/336445-magnum-RT-coolant-flush-and-fill

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
They are located on both sides of the block in the center, just above the oil pan. about an inch or two behind the motor mounts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks a bunch... Maybe an unrelated question for you here... I drove my SRT8 in the snow for the first time this morning, slippin and slidin all over the place, the ESP light would flash when slipping, but it sure didn't do anything like limiting wheel slip, it just let them slip away, yet it was flashing?... Any idea what could be causing this?...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've found that it's easier to drive with the esp off. Then I can power through any slipping. Depending on conditions I also drive in autostick and start in 2nd. I don't know if you have lsd or not, but that made a big improvement in the snow as well. And good rubber, I don't have it, but snow tires will help immensely. For me at least, esp not helping at all in the snow is the norm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh alright, just figured mine wasn't working properly...lol What do you mean by lsd?...
Acid. I drop out about 20 min. before I drive in the the snow. It helps me focus...:driving:

LSD- Limited slip differential. instead of one wheel spinning, they both turn. Since I put in a getrag, which is a lsd, the car is better in the snow.

bill

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Acid. I drop out about 20 min. before I drive in the the snow. It helps me focus...:driving:

LSD- Limited slip differential. instead of one wheel spinning, they both turn. Since I put in a getrag, which is a lsd, the car is better in the snow.

bill
Rofllmfaoooo oh god ur killing me here!
Wanna help me do coolant change Bill?never have i done it on this car and it seems easy but yet too many steps and i am unsure...
Ill buy the beer! Wish CAMM does another meetup n fixup!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can give you a hand, it's no big deal, but not until it's warm. I'm sure there will be another camm mod day, I have a bunch of stuff to get done and I've kind of been waiting for that to happen.

bill

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Yea yea no problem! Was gonna try this myself when warm but u stated u ended up with coolant everywhere lol! Id rather let an expert do it!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I was assuming that all SRT8's were limited slip from the factory as mine both seem to be spinning all the time...lol But I've only had the car for a short time, maybe I'll jack it up and take a look, is there anyway to be able to confirm a limited slip by a mere inspection?... From what I've read of the Getrag, sounds like there's some type of modification that needs to be done somewhere, what mod are they referring to?... And lord knows I've done my share of LSD back in the day...hahahaha

·
Registered
171 Posts
the srts didn't get the getrag until later. I know mine didn't have it. I think it was either 08 or 09. the 215 open diff I believe is some kind of electronic lsd. both tires spin most times when it's dry and in a straight line, but rain, snow, or around a corner not the case.

here's what my stock rear end looked like, and I suspect yours as well.

this is the getrag 3.73 I put in.

stronger axles and hubs as well. there is an clutch pack upgrade for the getrag you may be referring to. I haven't done that yet, but it's more than likely in my future.

bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts