Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question id like to know is sealed or ported? Which box would you guys go with.

Also if you guys were planing on running your car and didnt want to take the box out would you do 2 12's or 1 15inch sub woofer?
Im leaning towards the 15 to keep weight down.

Any recomendations on sub woofers. Last time i was into car audio Kickers and Fosgates were the **** so I know alot has changed.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
First question id like to know is sealed or ported? Which box would you guys go with.

Also if you guys were planing on running your car and didnt want to take the box out would you do 2 12's or 1 15inch sub woofer?
Im leaning towards the 15 to keep weight down.

Any recomendations on sub woofers. Last time i was into car audio Kickers and Fosgates were the **** so I know alot has changed.
sealed or ported is based on what the particular sub needs

2 12's would give you a more bass and more adjustability

Personally, although i dont compete anymore but i do still do installs. I'm partial to jlaudio and alphasonic. Fosgate, in my opinion hasnt been good in over 10 years.

Good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well as a former competitor in both spl and sound quality, i will say rockford was the big dog about 11 years ago but companies like memphis audio, kicker, jl audio and a few others are the way to go now. As for ported or sealed just depends on the woofer and the area you want to use in the car.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
I believe big ed agrees with me :lol:

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Orion has been good to me, both their low end and high end. But hate DEI now so not sure what to tell you.

Ported vs. Sealed depends. if the time is taken to ensure a ported box is built to specs and tuned 100% properly then ported all the way. Especially if you want volume. 15's are too sloppy, when I was 16 I liked them but they sound like crap to me now. Move more air but that's about it.

If you want the cheaper route get 2 12's in a sealed box.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could you guys explain to me alittle bit more about the ported vs sealed stuff in detail?
I mean if it depends on the sub then what am I looking for in the sub that would tell me ok you need to go with a ported or sealed box?

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Could you guys explain to me alittle bit more about the ported vs sealed stuff in detail?
I mean if it depends on the sub then what am I looking for in the sub that would tell me ok you need to go with a ported or sealed box?
Ported is louder, but 99/100 has worse frequency range hit.

Sealed typically sounds cleaner and is not quite as loud.

Depends do you want SQ or SPL?

For me, my ported box sounds sealed because of all the expensive work done to tune it 100% perfectly.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Chargers are hard as hell to get loud anyway. You have to do some major changes to get these things thumping. Rather than buying the $100 box that fits any 12's box, you need to A. Pic out your subs B. Have your box tuned/built for the requirements of those subs C. Make sure you buy a amp that has the same RMS range as your subs.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
JL audio, 13" W7. hardest hitting sub i have heard in a while....needs a big amp though....
lol it needs the JL amp that will rape you in price. JL is overrated for what you get.

Its funny how people just name the mainstream junk, what about RE Audio? What about Fi Audio? VERY good subs and custom made.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
lol it needs the JL amp that will rape you in price. JL is overrated for what you get.

Its funny how people just name the mainstream junk, what about RE Audio? What about Fi Audio? VERY good subs and custom made.
Hell yeah! Fi/RE/ID all the way.

To OP; it sounds like your needs are similar to mine. Don't want to take the box out when I want to play. I'm going with one IDQ12V3. It's a 12 inch, sound quality based driver that has very high output. Seal it to 1 cubic foot of volume after woofer displacement, or port it to 1.25 cubic feet @ 33hz. Sealed will be slightly more accurate but ported will be slightly louder and have a flatter response curve in terms of SPL (basically volume). I'd just seal it. It needs only 500 watts, which means you don't need to worry about any electrical upgrades to power it.

Oh yeah, just in case you don't know, the IDQ12V3 is a woofer made by Image Dynamics. It's called the IDQ, version 3, and you'll want the 12" version.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Um actually you dont NEED the JL amp, it will work with others as well...and yes i have heard lots of custom made subs since i used to install systems and personally i just like the sound of the W7.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Um actually you dont NEED the JL amp, it will work with others as well...and yes i have heard lots of custom made subs since i used to install systems and personally i just like the sound of the W7.
Well ya it doesnt NEED it but any other amp and you wont get the full power out of it

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes most any amp works with the jl w7 but we all know that jl built these amps with the w7 being the main thing. Look at jl's rating on there amp due to the w7's odd ohm load per coil, matchs perfectly with the amp to get maximum power. Both are great items but there are other great companies out there. Digital Designs, Kicker, Focal, etc, etc, etc. Just depends on personal preference.

Big Ed

·
Registered
12,630 Posts

True JL is garbage, subs overpriced and undervalued, about 70% of competing subs even some half the price outperform dub 7

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
i don't really think i would call jl garbage, there product is pretty strong.
Dub 7 came out in 1999, it's 2009. Still priced 5x what it's worth. Subs 1/3 as much are equal to or better in performance now. Garbage, spelled every way possible.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Maybe so but opinions vary and jl has a good competition presence also,i know that isn't the basis for everyone. I"m a former sound quality competitor as well as spl national competitor. JL is like alot of companies that have a great name and strong following, they keep the price where it is and they sell it, for instance sony tv's, too much money in my opinion. Oh and i believe the W7 started selling in 2001, the shop i was working at recieved some of the first in the region.
agree to disagree. and i'm not even a jl user..hehe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts