Charger Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
What does "not body shop safe" mean really?

I think it means if you are a novice you will totally F something up with this product
Was wondering the same thing..
'Not body shop safe' means that the product CANNOT be used on paint that has not cured. When you mix paint for a car, you have to add ingredients that allow the paint to be sprayed onto the car. Once the paint is on the car, all of the extra ingredients must be allowed to evaporate from the paint. This is known as curing or off gassing. If you seal fresh paint with a wax that is not body shop safe, it will trap the off gassing chemicals and cause the paint job to blister something nasty. That's why a painter will tell you to wait X amount of time before waxing the car, X being determined by the curing time (which is determined by the painting ingredients used).

i have been, but i dont remember you saying you use a polish, thats what the 105/205 is for to correct all paint blemishes.

but in your sealant wax video you said you use a polish before you use the sealant so you got me confused.

i just want my car to match the ring on my finger.....and thats be perfect....

oh, also, if your gonna hang teddy in the garage, if your garage isnt climate controlled you need to seal the glass and photo or else the temperature change and humidity will cause the photo to crinkle or stick to something it shouldnt. especially if your gonna put it straight up on glass and not mat it.

what you are to internet and auto detailing.. i am to sports training and memorabilia preservation.
First, Teddy is NOT hanging in the garage. He gets a spot on the wall in my house, next to my 20X30 Corvette pics of me on Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Second, and I'm only going to answer this because you know my weak spot (everyone else gets sent back to the videos), Here are the 4 ingredients necessary for paint correction:

• Clay - Used to remove impurities from the paint. Things like rail dust, industrial fallout, (etc...).
  • A Compound (which is nothing more than a heavy polish) - A compound is used to remove HEAVY paint damage. If no heavy paint damage is present, then a compound is skipped and you move to a polish. M105 is a compound. Read the label. It says so in big white letters.
  • A Polish - A polish is used to remove medium to light paint damage. M205 is a polish.
  • A wax - A wax is used to protect your paint. A wax can be a sealant, a paste or a spray and they all differ in application and longevity.

So now you know what you should have known after watching my videos. Now coach, go back and study my play book or you are going to be sitting with the scrubs when the game starts. :cowsmile:

'Not body shop safe' means that the product CANNOT be used on paint that has not cured. When you mix paint for a car, you have to add ingredients that allow the paint to be sprayed onto the car. Once the paint is on the car, all of the extra ingredients must be allowed to evaporate from the paint. This is known as curing or off gassing. If you seal fresh paint with a wax that is not body shop safe, it will trap the off gassing chemicals and cause the paint job to blister something nasty. That's why a painter will tell you to wait X amount of time before waxing the car, X being determined by the curing time (which is determined by the painting ingredients used).

First, Teddy is NOT hanging in the garage. He gets a spot on the wall in my house, next to my 20X30 Corvette pics of me on Atlanta Motor Speedway.

Second, and I'm only going to answer this because you know my weak spot (everyone else gets sent back to the videos), Here are the 4 ingredients necessary for paint correction:

• Clay - Used to remove impurities from the paint. Things like rail dust, industrial fallout, (etc...).
  • A Compound (which is nothing more than a heavy polish) - A compound is used to remove HEAVY paint damage. If no heavy paint damage is present, then a compound is skipped and you move to a polish. M105 is a compound. Read the label. It says so in big white letters.
  • A Polish - A polish is used to remove medium to light paint damage. M205 is a polish.
  • A wax - A wax is used to protect your paint. A wax can be a sealant, a paste or a spray and they all differ in application and longevity.

So now you know what you should have known after watching my videos. Now coach, go back and study my play book or you are going to be sitting with the scrubs when the game starts. :cowsmile:

thanks for the reprieve, everyone has a bad game every now and then.

fyi. make sure you keep a space on that wall open.........

Welcome back, Junkman! :wave:

Welcome back, Junkman! :wave:
I never knew he had posted here. When I first started to get into detailing I watched all of his videos. They were down to earth, not polished but _real_. He tells it like it is. I wondered why he came here and bumped all of his threads. I looked at his YT channel and it appears that he's backing making some videos. I'm happy to see it. Last I saw, he did a few videos for the Rag Company (he turned be onto them and I've bought hundreds of dollars of stuff from them). I'm really happy to see him making videos again.

Discussion starter · #67 ·
I went back through this thread and fixed the missing videos in the first post. Instead of 5-videos, I combined all 5 into one video with better lighting. I wouldn't change anything about the process, even though this video is almost 10-years old. The process is THAT solid. So for those who were looking for these videos, they are back online. 🙂

Cover sheets for TPS reports, ha! I didn't see that coming!
I'm about 45 minutes in and have to mow the yard, looking forward to the rest. Thank you @Junkman2008 for putting this together. And thank you for your service! (Assumption based on your hat and t-shirt).

Discussion starter · #69 ·
The pleasure was mine sir and yes, I am one of the few and the proud. My signature usually gives me away but then, there is always this little hint. 😁

Discussion starter · #72 ·
You didn't hear what I said in the video about this? You must have skipped through the video. The most important parts of that video are when I'm running my mouth because I am spilling out TONS of information, including the very thing that you are asking about.

You didn't hear what I said in the video about this? You must have skipped through the video. The most important parts of that video are when I'm running my mouth because I am spilling out TONS of information, including the very thing that you are asking about.
I have it paused where I was interupted...perhaps when I finish it, I will learn. ;)

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Yes, I can always tell by the questions people ask. But I do cover your exact situation and when you think about it, it will be common sense. Everything I do always follows that philosophy.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.