Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Jet Chip stage 2 after installign a K&N CAI, Magnaflow cat back exaust, and premium fuel. My belltech computer performance analizer shows about 0.3-0.5 second improvement on the 0-60 times. I realize the chip does not change the shift points, but what I do feal is a furmer shift. It feals like it is hitting the gears harder between shifts, where with 100% stock, it smoothly slides between ratios.

The seat of the pants feal is almost not changed. What I notice is it hitting the gears harder. Maby it has increased the torque, and that is what I am fealing.

It was a pain to get the computer back installed. I had to push the plastick back to get the comptuer to fit. It reallly did not want to go inplace at all.:frown:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I installed my Jet Chip stage 2 after installign a K&N CAI, Magnaflow cat back exaust, and premium fuel. My belltech computer performance analizer shows about 0.3-0.5 second improvement on the 0-60 times. I realize the chip does not change the shift points, but what I do feal is a furmer shift. It feals like it is hitting the gears harder between shifts, where with 100% stock, it smoothly slides between ratios.

The seat of the pants feal is almost not changed. What I notice is it hitting the gears harder. Maby it has increased the torque, and that is what I am fealing.

It was a pain to get the computer back installed. I had to push the plastick back to get the comptuer to fit. It reallly did not want to go inplace at all.:frown:
ur telling that the jet chip improved u 0.5 sec

·
Registered
503 Posts
Because I'm generally happy with my Jet II I'll say this reported increase is a lot more possible than a turbocharged 3.5 police Charger ;)

Looking forward to the confirmation ... damn no popcorn emoticon on here :p

·
Registered
230 Posts
there ya go again lex. had to stir up the turbo v6 thing again

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ur telling that the jet chip improved u 0.5 sec
Depending on how hot the engine is, makes a difference in my 0-60 times. Before the chip I was seeing as high as 8 seconds, but that is with the engine rather hot. After the chip I am seeing 7.3-7.5 for my 0-60 time with the engine warm. I did at one point get 7.0, but the engine was cooler, and running rich. I get different numbers, so it is a little hard to say exactly, and when it get really hot after several wot 0-70 runs, the times decrease.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Depending on how hot the engine is, makes a difference in my 0-60 times. Before the chip I was seeing as high as 8 seconds, but that is with the engine rather hot. After the chip I am seeing 7.3-7.5 for my 0-60 time with the engine warm. I did at one point get 7.0, but the engine was cooler, and running rich. I get different numbers, so it is a little hard to say exactly, and when it get really hot after several wot 0-70 runs, the times decrease.
add some jba header's!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
were these tests on the same day? what were the engine temps?

when you say you were seeing times "as high as 8 second", thats with a hot engine. naturally you will run slower. but with a warm engine, you saw 7.3-7.5 seconds. a warm engine will usually run faster than a hot engine.

it seems with and without the module, the times are within 7-8 seconds, depending on the temp.

remember for you to see if the module actually worked, you have to eliminate as many variables as possible, and run similar conditions.

the description kinda seems too vague or like too many variables are here.

and Lex, take it easy brah:grin: , just asking questions....

for so many people who have this, i'm just trying to see is there any data recorded, not just the Seat of the Pants feel method, but actual proof, that it makes any respectable gains...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
were these tests on the same day? what were the engine temps?

when you say you were seeing times "as high as 8 second", thats with a hot engine. naturally you will run slower. but with a warm engine, you saw 7.3-7.5 seconds. a warm engine will usually run faster than a hot engine.

it seems with and without the module, the times are within 7-8 seconds, depending on the temp.

remember for you to see if the module actually worked, you have to eliminate as many variables as possible, and run similar conditions.

the description kinda seems too vague or like too many variables are here.

for so many people who have this, i'm just trying to see is there any data recorded, not just the Seat of the Pants feel method, but actual proof, that it makes any respectable gains...

I should have written down more data, and provided more exact numbers. I will do another test, and give more exact numbers.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Was that pre-emptive Samoan ? ;) Your post is exactly right... the scientific method calls for changing one variable at a time.

As you know Jet owners generally tell positive stories but there has been very little data to support measurable gains.

But, that said, even if there are no measurable gains I like the chip not because of metrics but because I like how my car responds with it installed better than without -- not on the track, but on the road where my Charger lives daily.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I say that you should take the car to a dyno and do some controlled runs before and after installing the chip. I really dont trust the plug and play performance gadgets. Remember its merely guessy your speed based on accelerometer readings. A mere bump in the road can throw those things off. Either a drag strip or dyno with more reliable measuring devices would show the real deal. But this is all in my opinion stuff. I am real interested in the chips and tuners for my ride.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I say that you should take the car to a dyno and do some controlled runs before and after installing the chip. I really dont trust the plug and play performance gadgets. Remember its merely guessy your speed based on accelerometer readings. A mere bump in the road can throw those things off. Either a drag strip or dyno with more reliable measuring devices would show the real deal. But this is all in my opinion stuff. I am real interested in the chips and tuners for my ride.
i agree with EVERYTHING he just posted.:)

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Was that pre-emptive Samoan ? ;) Your post is exactly right... the scientific method calls for changing one variable at a time.

As you know Jet owners generally tell positive stories but there has been very little data to support measurable gains.

But, that said, even if there are no measurable gains I like the chip not because of metrics but because I like how my car responds with it installed better than without -- not on the track, but on the road where my Charger lives daily.
totally understandable, brah! and theres nothing wrong with that. not at all.:)

for myself, i know i want to go the performance route on anything i own. not really ALL OUT (bore stroke etc), but the basics. my only thing is, i wanna pick and chose things that help to increase the performance.

if i add an intake, and lose power, or an exhaust.... then to me its better just to remain in stock form...thats just for me and my car, ya.

sometimes one can add a part thats meant for performance, and actually DE-TUNE the car. for me, i definately dont wanna create a defecit and attempt to improve only to get back or near to stock performance.

and yea, i bit pre-emptive, or a disclaimer of sorts. i dont want you to think i'm doing it out of spite or anything. just wanted to share a view, but let uso's know where i am comin from, ya know?:grin:

·
Registered
503 Posts
and yea, i bit pre-emptive, or a disclaimer of sorts. i dont want you to think i'm doing it out of spite or anything. just wanted to share a view, but let uso's know where i am comin from, ya know?:grin:
I know where you're coming from... you're knowledgeable and very helpful ! And like everyone else you have opinions... no worries.

The Jet module has been dyno'ed by someone at LX Forums if I recall.. a couple of HP drop and around 10 ft-lbs torque increase was the result by my memory.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I dont understand is why cant Jetchip provide this info? They had to dyno it to tweak the settings.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Don't expect too much from JET... they tell us we need a 180 degree thermostat when we already have one in the 3.5 HO ;)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I have a new update. I installed the cabin air filter box "Upgrade" because the SE does not come with it, and I decided that the chip was pushing on the comptuer and the air box way to hard, so I did not re-install it. As a side note, what is the deal with removing a few pennies of plastic to make the car not have a cabin air filter, which then if the customer wants the air filter it takes about $50.00 plus their time or some labor at the dealership. Wouldnt it be cheaper for the factory not to stock 2 different parts?

Anyway, the chip pushes way to hard on the air box, and was about to break off the rubber gromit on the comptuer, so I decided it was a poor design and left it off.

Decent performance upgrade, just poor location for the chip. They should have created a pigtail wiring harnes to allow the chip to dangle below the comptuer.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I know where you're coming from... you're knowledgeable and very helpful ! And like everyone else you have opinions... no worries.

The Jet module has been dyno'ed by someone at LX Forums if I recall.. a couple of HP drop and around 10 ft-lbs torque increase was the result by my memory.
yeah brah! i know i;ve seen one, but it was around loss of 3-5HP and a gain of 5 torque.

thats what kills me though. for what its claimed to do, it should be a gain in both aspects.

some mods though do increase one and drop the other, like mechanical mods (cam, header, etc)... but jet claims large gains. i guess its the dyno manipulation, if they even dynoed it at all.

but its a one sided mod, in my view.... almost a scam with (please dont take offense to that) the fact we can get resistors from ebay for 5$ that do the same. its more like paying for a name.

REASONS:

it adds gas

it doesnt increase the spark to ignite the extra gas, it just moves it forwards via advance timing.

and

it doesnt add extra AIR to help combustion or anything.

basically the same could be accomplished by going to a larger sized injector it seems.

theres no way without the air or a multiple spark, the car is getting COMPLETE COMBUSTION. so in a way, its using more gas, and losing power most times, not all.

the unburned fuel however has to be making deposits internally, cause thats what unburned fuel usually does in an automotive engine...that or degrade the catalytic converters prematurely. truthfully, brah, thats like a long term worry that i'd have an eye on. like when you ever change plugs, check the condition of the piston tops or run something like the redline complete combustion cleaner for a safety valve.

and the fact they arent updated on what therm we currently run.... its makes it look even more and more like an untested product for this car. dont see why there would be a need for a thermostat change anyway, unless the car is running hotter than need be. for the small gains that we are seeing.... (granted we already have the 180) it seems the engine would be working harder for little reason.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
First day to work without the chip. I miss it. The extra torque, gave it a stronger feal, and make it hit the gears harder.

Common programmer, hurry up allready.

I also took my wifes Caliber out to fill it up with gas (Which was my car before getting the charger), WOW I really like the V6 over the R/T 2.4L 4. That 4 does not have enough torque.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts