Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of people on here have the 180 degree thermostat in their signatures and with summer soon to be here it's important to keep the engines cool. My question is whether the Jet 180 is the best one to put on my 09 SRT or is there another one that I should look into? I don't have many mods...yet. I have a K & N intake and a cat back exhaust essentially. I am looking at getting the Diablosport Intune tuner hopefully within the year so if that has any effect on which one I should get I would love your input. Also, if anyone has replaced theirs how easy was it to replace?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
check out the thread in my sig... there's a couple of links to videos on how to change thermostats

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Get a tuner. You need the tuner to adjust the car's fan settings to take full advantage of the lower t-stat. Part Deux's thread is a great resource. There is a good YouTube video out there too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check out the thread in my sig... there's a couple of links to videos on how to change thermostats
Thanks! Just bookmarked that thread! Do you have an opinion on the Jet 180 or any others that I should look into?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a tuner. You need the tuner to adjust the car's fan settings to take full advantage of the lower t-stat. Part Deux's thread is a great resource. There is a good YouTube video out there too.

Thanks for the input. The thermostat is only $40 so that's not a big deal. Sounds like I should just save up the money for the tuner and then do that and the thermo at the same time.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Thanks for the input. The thermostat is only $40 so that's not a big deal. Sounds like I should just save up the money for the tuner and then do that and the thermo at the same time.

Yes that's a good idea. I've been kicking around the idea of a 180 degree stat for a couple years now. I have read all the pros and cons. I started a similar thread myself a few days ago to get some good info. Needless to say I bought the jet stat last night from amazon, I'll have it Monday.

The reason I went ahead and bought it was to eliminate the lag the extreme summer heat causes in my car...members told me it helps cut down on that significantly. And like you said for ~40 bucks it's not a dangerous investment.

You'll love the tuner, they can be had for pretty cheap...if you go for a predator. You can find them unmarried and used for great prices. The diablo tunes really wake the first gen SRTs up! You can also spend a little more after buying the tuner and get a custom tune...which will net you some of the power left on the table by the generic tunes. The diablosport intune is a newer version of the diablosport predator that will also work on your car...it's far easier to data-log on the newer intune, which you will need to do for a custom email tune.

Let us know what you decide to go with!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my thought exactly. I noticed a little bit of difference the other week when I was sitting in lots of traffic due to the annual cruise week at the beach here. (not a bad thing to have 1000's of nice cars cruising) Obviously when sitting the engine temp rose a little bit and when I actually had some room to get on it I did notice that the heat did have some effect which made me look into the different t-stat. On my way home that night when I was in the clear and cooler air she woke back up so I thought the t-stat may be a good/cheap route to combat the minor lag as summer approaches.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
That was my thought exactly. I noticed a little bit of difference the other week when I was sitting in lots of traffic due to the annual cruise week at the beach here. (not a bad thing to have 1000's of nice cars cruising) Obviously when sitting the engine temp rose a little bit and when I actually had some room to get on it I did notice that the heat did have some effect which made me look into the different t-stat. On my way home that night when I was in the clear and cooler air she woke back up so I thought the t-stat may be a good/cheap route to combat the minor lag as summer approaches.

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. I see you live in Delaware...the high heat combined with extreme humidity there is a b!tch in the summer, I have family in New York and Jersey so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I live in Vegas so it's a different kind of heat but it's still hot none the less. I also notice my car hauls ass in the early morning/night and tends to be more sluggish around high noon. I'll let you know if the stat really helps or not. All the information I have gathered suggests it does!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. I see you live in Delaware...the high heat combined with extreme humidity there is a b!tch in the summer, I have family in New York and Jersey so I know exactly what you're talking about.

I live in Vegas so it's a different kind of heat but it's still hot none the less. I also notice my car hauls ass in the early morning/night and tends to be more sluggish around high noon. I'll let you know if the stat really helps or not. All the information I have gathered suggests it does!

Yeah, don't remind me about the high heat and humidity... I wish it would stay the 70ish it was today all year round. If you would let me know if you see a difference I would really appreciate it. Like you said for ~$40 bucks it's not a huge risk but never the less feedback never hurts.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Haha I dreaded going back home to visit in the summer time! You couldn't leave the house...98 degrees and 98% humidity, not a good time. But this time of year it's beautiful weather like you described.

Absolutely, feedback is how any of us here make decisions. I'll install it ASAP and do some driving and report back here with my findings/verdict.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I really don't understand the perception that this will somehow make your car operate any differently in the Summer than it does in the Winter.

The t-stat and fan settings keep the engine at the same operating temp year 'round regardless of outside conditions. The stock t-stat keeps the engine at the same temp in 20° weather as it does in 100° weather.

What the lower temp T-stat and fan setting does is make your car operate at a lower temp year 'round. This changes the base performance equation, not the sensitivity to outside air temp.

The change in performance across seasons being described is related to air temperature going into the engine...and the T-stat won't change that. The change in performance with outside temp will be the same regardless of which T-stat you run. The Air Velocity Density program that determines A/F ratio is generally independent of engine temp in closed loop operation.

It's not the engine temp you really want to change...it's the air temp going into the engine.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't understand the perception that this will somehow make your car operate any differently in the Summer than it does in the Winter.

The t-stat and fan settings keep the engine at the same operating temp year 'round regardless of outside conditions. The stock t-stat keeps the engine at the same temp in 20° weather as it does in 100° weather.

What the lower temp T-stat and fan setting does is make your car operate at a lower temp year 'round. This changes the base performance equation, not the sensitivity to outside air temp.

The change in performance across seasons being described is related to air temperature going into the engine...and the T-stat won't change that. The change in performance with outside temp will be the same regardless of which T-stat you run. The Air Velocity Density program that determines A/F ratio is generally independent of engine temp in closed loop operation.

It's not the engine temp you really want to change...it's the air temp going into the engine.
The stock t-stat cycles open and close as the engine temp rises to 195 I believe right? By lowering this temp to say 180 like this t-stat would do wouldn't it improve performance by keeping the engine cooler and more constant instead of fluctuating like the stock one? Maybe I'm completely wrong. That is why I am asking questions.

I know I can't change the outside temperature. The K&N CAI helps getting the closest to actual air temp air instead of taking in warmer engine bay air. I would just think that the cooler you can keep the engine the better it will respond regardless of outside conditions right?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
There is some belief that lowering the engine temp will increase performance... however, it's the incoming air temp that really has the most impact. I have run lower tstat and liked it. I recently tried to install a new one, and it was throwing codes, so I pulled it back out.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The stock t-stat cycles open and close as the engine temp rises to 195 I believe right? By lowering this temp to say 180 like this t-stat would do wouldn't it improve performance by keeping the engine cooler and more constant instead of fluctuating like the stock one? Maybe I'm completely wrong. That is why I am asking questions.

I know I can't change the outside temperature. The K&N CAI helps getting the closest to actual air temp air instead of taking in warmer engine bay air. I would just think that the cooler you can keep the engine the better it will respond regardless of outside conditions right?
Not quite correct. The t-stat opens at it's set point and closes below that. the engine always generates heat above the t-stat temp. The fluctuation isn't different based on t-stat and fans set point. both will fluctuate the same. The engine temp won't be more constant, just lower.

The K&N does not keep the air temp into the engine closer to the ambient air temp than the stock set-up. The Legmaker true CAI does that by drawing air from outside the engine bay. (other custom intakes plumbed to outside air can do the same).

The difference is based on how the engine operates at a lower temp not the sensitivity to seasonal air temp change. There are lots of reasons not to lower the engine temp for normal operation if you are not drag racing.

PD posted a few...

Injector pulse width expects the higher temp,
moisture and acids burn off better
cats runs more efficiently

Change it if you wish, but don't be fooled by what folks claim it actually does.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not quite correct. The t-stat opens at it's set point and closes below that. the engine always generates heat above the t-stat temp. The fluctuation isn't different based on t-stat and fans set point. both will fluctuate the same. The engine temp won't be more constant, just lower.

The K&N does not keep the air temp into the engine closer to the ambient air temp than the stock set-up. The Legmaker true CAI does that by drawing air from outside the engine bay. (other custom intakes plumbed to outside air can do the same).

The difference is based on how the engine operates at a lower temp not the sensitivity to seasonal air temp change. There are lots of reasons not to lower the engine temp for normal operation if you are not drag racing.

PD posted a few...

Injector pulse width expects the higher temp,
moisture and acids burn off better
cats runs more efficiently

Change it if you wish, but don't be fooled by what folks claim it actually does.
Thanks for the clarification. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
All of these are good points; but there are also several very knowledgable members on here with real world accounts of the advantages regarding the 180 t-stat. I prefer to try something myself so I can make my own judgement. Every now and them that attitude bites you in the ass...but that's how I prefer to learn!

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
All of these are good points; but there are also several very knowledgable members on here with real world accounts of the advantages regarding the 180 t-stat. I prefer to try something myself so I can make my own judgement. Every now and them that attitude bites you in the ass...but that's how I prefer to learn!

I'm assuming you have a diablo? Make sure you adjust the fan temps to accommodate the new thermostat. I have used one, and it seemed to make a bit of a difference. I prefer to have the higher temps to burn off the moisture and acids.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I'm assuming you have a diablo? Make sure you adjust the fan temps to accommodate the new thermostat. I have used one, and it seemed to make a bit of a difference. I prefer to have the higher temps to burn off the moisture and acids.

Yes I have the trinity. What is the general consensus about the fan temps? I've seen quite a bit of variation searching through the forums. The most logical temperatures seem to be lowering each fan by 23 degrees...but making sure the low speed fan is never below 190 to prevent it from running constantly.

I'll see what difference it makes. I hope it helps with the heat out here. I'm not expecting magic...I'll have others drive the car to rule out the personal mod placebo effect.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
There was a great thread on here... but I'm not finding it in the how do I everything thread.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts