Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking at the mid pipes and catback system from 402 because of there special. i just wanted to know how difficult they are to install. has anyone done this themselves? anyone that has the catback could you tell me the diameter of the tips. i havent found any info on them.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I did all the work myself. The mid pipes where a biatch but the car was on jack stands. A lift is a must. The catback is very easy to install. And I believe the tips are 3 inch. The awesome part is the pipes use the factory hangers. You will love the setup. I also did the headers, but that is another story!

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did all the work myself. The mid pipes where a biatch but the car was on jack stands. A lift is a must. The catback is very easy to install. And I believe the tips are 3 inch. The awesome part is the pipes use the factory hangers. You will love the setup. I also did the headers, but that is another story!

please let me hear that story. i really want to get the headers too, also on sale as a complete kit. i have heard that unbolting the motor is a must, is it true?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I've installed all three JBA components by myself, on my back on my driveway(actually my buddy helped with the catback)
The catback is a snap, the Mids are easy too. One heatshield to remove, 4 bolts, and two clamps.
Yes, the headers are a total beeatch to install. The headers arent hard in a technical sence, but very hard to get at and torque down the various header bolts.
I think I did a write up on the mids..I'll search

·
Registered
934 Posts
For the headers I used my dad's lift. He is an auto mechanic, but I did the work myself. I can't imagine trying to do the headers with the car on jack's. First thing I would say about installing the headers is make sure you give yourself plenty of time. At least 5 hours. If the engine is hot, you'll need at least an hour before you can touch anything!! I took my time and went very slow, took me about 8 hours. Some guys have claimed they removed the old and installed the new stuff without removing the motor mounts and lifting the engine, I don't know how this is possible. It is so tight under there. I took my time and lifted one side at a time. My dad also suggest that I use anti-seize on all the bolts. I think that's what it was...been awhile since I did it. The passenger side is the most difficult because of the starter. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!! Also, make sure you have all the right tools. Swivel sockets are a must. Oh, when you crank it up the first time it will smoke like you set a bomb off. Don't be alarmed. But all of the work is totally worth it when you mash the accelerator the first time. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
For the headers I used my dad's lift. He is an auto mechanic, but I did the work myself. I can't imagine trying to do the headers with the car on jack's. First thing I would say about installing the headers is make sure you give yourself plenty of time. At least 5 hours. If the engine is hot, you'll need at least an hour before you can touch anything!! I took my time and went very slow, took me about 8 hours. Some guys have claimed they removed the old and installed the new stuff without removing the motor mounts and lifting the engine, I don't know how this is possible. It is so tight under there. I took my time and lifted one side at a time. My dad also suggest that I use anti-seize on all the bolts. I think that's what it was...been awhile since I did it. The passenger side is the most difficult because of the starter. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!! Also, make sure you have all the right tools. Swivel sockets are a must. Oh, when you crank it up the first time it will smoke like you set a bomb off. Don't be alarmed. But all of the work is totally worth it when you mash the accelerator the first time. Good luck.
LOL
On my back without touching the motor mounts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Not a problem at all.
Do the mids, see how ya feel....you can do the headers:)
Its a challange, and the reward knowing you did it yourself is awsome
Good luck, and dont hesitate to PM me. I'm usually here every day

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i got my headers/catback in teh mail, ran up to my speedshop and dropped my car off last week.

getting it back tomarrow(they worked me in and its been agonizingly slow)

they call me friday tho goin "dude didnt you have highflow cats?" so i call 402 motoring like wtf? apparantly JBA was back ordred on em, so im still waiting.

gonna be running stock catted mids with jba headers/catback for another week and a half or so.

thinking of doing the middie install myself. ive got a decent set of tools and pretty mechanically savvy. but im still nervous when it comes to operating on my baby.

CAI and 180-stat were a breeze for me. think i ought to try the mids? how long of a job would it be considering the rest will be done? i just dont wanna screw up the amazing work my boys do at the speed shop

·
Registered
928 Posts
it should fairly simple, just prepare to spend a good amount of time getting things lined up right.......unless they weld everything then you're SOL.

·
Vendor
815 Posts
To answer your original question, the 5.7L cat-backs are a 2.5" pipe diameter pipe. The mid-pipes are 3" into the converter and 2.5" out of the converter back.

And mid-pipes aren't backordered at HHP. Just order online or give us a call and we can ship out any JBA Charger product same day. All of our headers, mid-pipes and cat-backs are on sale through SEMA at some awesome prices.

Joshua, HHP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.