Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is, according to this article:

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101007

Which touches a bit upon the shortage of 300C's and other LX based vehicles.

An excerpt:

Currently, Brampton builds the 2005 Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum. Production of the 2006 Dodge Charger sedan starts in January.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Charger...If you build it...they won't come.

Once the novelty of a non-aerodynamic...butt-ugly muscle car has run its course, there should be plenty of available floor space to assemble the 300c's & LX's in the idle Charger assembly plant.

What Diamler is doing to Chrysler's muscle car heritage is an outright travesty. To put a Chevy S-10 pickup front end on a Ford Maverick body and then slap the Charger name upon it is no less than vehicular homicide.

An intoxicated one-eyed monkey using an Etch-A-Sketch would have created a better design for the Charger than the clueless Chrysler design team.

A more appropriate launch date for the orange Charger depicted in the drawings of the Detroit News would be Halloween. With that ridiculous horrifying grill and orange paint the Charger looks like a jack-o-lantern.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll hold off to see the "final" version, and see good pictures before making judgement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Charger...If you build it...they won't come.

Mark Ebert said:
What Diamler is doing to Chrysler's muscle car heritage is an outright travesty.
Ya know, this is getting really old. Are you really too young to understand that RWD and V8 Hemis is a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement over what's been going on for the last thirty years? You want a two-door? Sit tight while they get the bread and butter cars out there; they'll get to you as soon as resources allow. Upset about the name? It's THEIR name; get over it.

I don't like the looks of what I've seen of the Charger so far either, but in a world full of 200 hp FWD Monte Carlos, I think Mopar folks need to count their blessings and stop this juvenile talk of "travesty" and whatnot.

·
Registered
22 Posts

georgejetson said:
Ya know, this is getting really old. Are you really too young to understand that RWD and V8 Hemis is a HUGE HUGE HUGE improvement over what's been going on for the last thirty years? You want a two-door? Sit tight while they get the bread and butter cars out there; they'll get to you as soon as resources allow. Upset about the name? It's THEIR name; get over it.

I don't like the looks of what I've seen of the Charger so far either, but in a world full of 200 hp FWD Monte Carlos, I think Mopar folks need to count their blessings and stop this juvenile talk of "travesty" and whatnot.
DCX is counting on people like you, georgejetson, that will buy anything they make as long as they stick a hemi in it and call it whatever they want - daytona, charger, cuda, challenger. You dont seem to understand that a 4,000 lbs + car that has 4 doors and looks like a maverick with Galant rear end is not a "huge" improvement over anything chrysler has ever made, RWD or not. I would not waste my money on a generic GTO and I wont waste my money on a generic Charger no matter how much horsepower they have. These "ignorant" company's like DCX just dont seem to understand, and people like you dont help the situation much if you buy this car just because it has more power with RWD.

·
Registered
37 Posts

georgejetson said:

I'm old enough to remember the Aspen R/T and Volare Road Runner. Hell, those even had two doors! ;) If DCX wants to sell a V8, RWD family sedan, that's their business. If they want to slap the name HEMI on everything under the sun, to sell more cars and and end up diluting the memory of the 426, that's their business. (I am optimistic about the 6.1, though.) If you want to count your blessings, that's your business.

All things considered, it's not a BAD vehicle. But just like the 300M didn't deserve 300 "letter-car" status, this doesn't deserve the name Charger. I'm tired of reliance on popular model names of old to sell lackluster vehicles now. Looking at what DCX has done with their PVO cars, I have no doubt that we'll have some spectacular vehicles coming out of our stables sooner instead of later. And that makes the reliance on old model names for currently undeserving vehicles that much harder to swallow . . . what's so bad about calling this a Magnum sedan, anyway?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You know I've been thinking(Don't tell my Doctor!). We are in a new age of cars these days. This isn't an Ode to the old Charger, it's a new beginning for it. I am young so I wasn't around when the Chargers hit the block, but in my research I have come to realize the original Charger was at first an ugly duckling with a bit of go. However as people became intrigued by the raw power of the car, Dodge did everything to make it look better and cooler and tried to make it as fast as possible to dominate everything else that wasn't a HEMI Charger. What we have here may very well be the start of something amazing. With the latest exhaust technologies, they can make this thing as powerful as they want without worrying about making something that can't conform to all of the regulations set up to combat the elegid depletion of the ozone layer.

So initially what we have is the new age of Charger. This thing will probably look different every year just like the 60's Chargers changed every year. And not only that but they got faster every year. I can't wait! :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
CarFreak said:
So initially what we have is the new age of Charger. This thing will probably look different every year just like the 60's Chargers changed every year. And not only that but they got faster every year. I can't wait! :D
Hold on to your thoughts and don't let anyones negative comments sway you away from what you think is an awesome car. I personally have about had it with all of the negative comments about said car which is why I have stopped reading the Allpar thread and have almost stopped reading these forums. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and everyone can post about how crappy it looks but you haven't even seen the car up close, sat in the car, listened to the engine, and you are already judging it and telling everyone and their brother not to buy it. Please don't tell me I am a young whipper snapper because I already know it. I do however know about muscle car heritage but I never got the joy to ever ride on one of the Hemi Chargers of the early 70's since I wasn't born until '78. This is not the Charger for the Baby Boomers......it is as was said before the Modernized Charger.....like it or not. For the new generation of car enthusiasts who have a family and yet want some grunt (M5 has a V10 and is a 4 door car so you can see that the Charger is going to fit right in with the moderized family cruiser/musclecar)....Oh but it doesn't deserve the name Charger as some have said....flame away guys because it is just words which might tweek me a tad but I will get over it.

Later

·
Registered
22 Posts
GT Neon said:
Hold on to your thoughts and don't let anyones negative comments sway you away from what you think is an awesome car. I personally have about had it with all of the negative comments about said car which is why I have stopped reading the Allpar thread and have almost stopped reading these forums.
Dont stop reading or posting just because of any negative comments about the 2006 Charger or any other car. I for one had saved for 4 years to buy the concept Charger that was shown in 99-2000. I feel like DCX has let down people that were expecting that car. The 2006 Charger is completly different from what alot of people were expecting, It seems to me DCX used the Charger name for sales purposes only. The 2006 charger seems like a nice 4,000 lb "full size" 120" wheelbase family sedan 4 door with alot of power and the price will be good, we will see if the "charger name" will help or hurt sales in the long run. I think what DCX did was wrong though, and this 2006 style Is not what I am looking for right now. I am still holding out hope for a January surprise though.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
The big question on my mind is does DCX even care what we think? If there are any DCX execs on here let us know you are listening and trying to make the enthusiasts happy. Otherwise. . .just keep building cars in a vaccuum. . . :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
"Back in the day" if you had a family and wanted some grunt, you bought a four door Coronet with a 383. And that's exactly my point. The Magnum sedan is actually the newest generation Coronet.

And the last thing I'm saying is for anyone not to buy them. I'm sure it will be a fine car, just as the other LX cars have proven to be. But as much as it pains me to say, go to fordvehicles.com and look at the '05 Mustang. They got it right, making a new car with lines instantly recognizable from the model name that made it so memorable. '06 Charger fails in the same execution. (Ouch, my Chrysler Karma just went down a few points.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
And if this truly is the modernized Charger for the new generation of car enthusiasts, then can someone please tell me that the new Dukes of Hazzard movie coming out in '05 will be jumping a bunch of the new Chargers and not ruin anymore '69's?

There may be a bright spot to this after all . . .

·
Registered
3 Posts
They told chrysler that the old 300 nameplates was a dead name on a dead car from a bygone generation(my dad hates that thought) but they started tinkering with the 300 name in '91...and released the 300m in winter '93...every so called car mag harked on it pointed out the flaws of an american desighn...one even went as far to say it was chryslers way of trying to roll back the clock to a time when the big three helt 90% of the new car market...but no matter what they said the car sold...in fact dealers were having a hard time keeping it in stock...what a surprise a dead nameplate like the 300 selling out a years run in only 5 months...bragging rights...no other manufactor had those bragging rights....not even to get on the brands offered by dodge and jeep....then the new 300 comes out...rwd HEMi as an option..AWD in the works...instant smash hit again on a dead nameplate that no would would ever buy...seems like the 300 a much welcomed touch to a jaded luxry car market, i mean cadilliacs have gotten to pricey, the lexus and infinty still look the same, as does mercedes(even if it is the parent company now)BMW is for those who think they are in europe....Lincoln still targets its followers, in there 70's, and the brand shows its age. I think the new dodge charger will be a breath of fresh air in a jaded import market were all the cars look alike, just as the magnum and pt cruiser and 300 names did...ever seen a '78 dodge magnum? Looked the same as a '78 dodge charger...just a name plate.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I agree with what some of you have said here. I'm pesonally looking forward to seeing the Charger. I think the US market will respond nicely to a full size HEMI powered 4 door vehicle based on the LX platform.

Room & Power - works for me.

If people want a two door V8 coupe there are plenty to choose from in the market today.

Personally, I can't wait till they debut the charger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
alextaylor29 said:
I agree with what some of you have said here. I'm pesonally looking forward to seeing the Charger. I think the US market will respond nicely to a full size HEMI powered 4 door vehicle based on the LX platform.

Room & Power - works for me.

If people want a two door V8 coupe there are plenty to choose from in the market today.

Personally, I can't wait till they debut the charger.

GTO and Mustang GT don't exactly sum up to plenty of V8 coupes to choose from.

Additionally, the market has responded nicely to a full sized hemi-powered four door. It's called the Magnum. The Magnum sedan will sell nicely too, but not as nicely as if they would've called it Magnum sedan in the first place.

Enjoy your new car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts