Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry if this has been answered before, but I'm getting my wheels powdercoated, so I need to place jack stands to hold the car up for a day. Can anyone tell me at what points I need to place jack stands under the car? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, thanks Steve.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Those locations aren't very specific. For example, on the rear points the only place that is not plastic is a recessed area that a regular jack stand or floor jack cannot access. I think most people would be tempted to place the jack stand on the hollow plastic post in this photo. The only metal area looks like it is made for a special jack to fit into the hole. The trunk jack lifts on the body edge front and back, outboard of these points.
Both of these photos are from the driver's side. The plate on my floor jack is over 4 inches square. The front frame member is about 2 inches wide, so no matter where I place the floor jack, it is partially pressing on plastic in the front, but at least I can lift here and get a floor jack next to it. At the rear, there is no place the floor jack can lift without fully lifting on plastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Those locations aren't very specific. For example, on the rear points the only place that is not plastic is a recessed area that a regular jack stand or floor jack cannot access. I think most people would be tempted to place the jack stand on the plastic bump in this photo. The only metal area looks like it is made for a special jack to fit into the hole. The trunk jack lifts on the body edge front and back, outboard of these points.
Both of these photos are from the driver's side. The plate on my floor jack is over 4 inches square. The front frame member is about 2 inches wide, so no matter where I place the floor jack, it is partially pressing on plastic in the front, but at least I can lift here and get a floor jack next to it. At the rear, there is no place the floor jack can lift without fully lifting on plastic.
This is also an LX model for 2006-10 not for the new 2011-13 models.

Pretty specific to me, I haven't had any issues finding where to jack. However, if you want more literally type jack locations there are photos of under the car showing exactly where you can jack up and place jacks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
...if you want more literally type jack locations there are photos of under the car showing exactly where you can jack up and place jacks.
Do you know where can I get some photos of the 2nd gen? Haven't found any in my searches yet. There is a photo of a 1st gen showing the lift point is the plastic "hockey puck thingy". That just seems like it would not be strong enough for a ton. The only official thing I have is this same low-resolution illustration from the shop manual. I'm happy with the front lift point but the rear I'm not sure about, especially having both a lift point and a place for a jackstand next to it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Do you know where can I get some photos of the 2nd gen? Haven't found any in my searches yet. There is a photo of a 1st gen showing the lift point is the plastic "hockey puck thingy". That just seems like it would not be strong enough for a ton. The only official thing I have is this same low-resolution illustration from the shop manual. I'm happy with the front lift point but the rear I'm not sure about, especially having both a lift point and a place for a jackstand next to it.
Unfortunately no. Only pictures I know of are for 2006-10 models.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
For the front, I place them just behind the jack points.

For the rear, I place them on both sides of the trailer hitch...

you don't have a trailer hitch. sorry.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I use that plastic puck with my floor jack, I have a hunk of wood I cut to fit in the pocket of my floor jack.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts