Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 2006 Charger RT.

I bought her new in 2006. Immediately tinted the windows, CBD scoop hood, KW suspension, K&N intake, custom 3” stainless Magnaflow exhaust. I’m made that car mine. Her name was Julie Newmar. Her “stage name” was Raven.

Over the years, she was in a lot of car shows, won an award or two. I suffered the infamous valve-seat failure in the 2006 5.7L motor in 2013 and replaced the whole thing. Radiator replaced, twice, I went through half a dozen sets of tires, took her to Myrtle Beach, she’s taken me to Buffalo to see the Pats embarrass the Bills, more than once, and to Chicago to see the folks. After all the repair bills, I still, after 164K miles and bubbling paint on the rear quarter panels, loved that car.

Now I’m in a bar, crying into my beer, and clutching my plates, waiting for my ride, after watching a 20-something kid drive off with what’s been a big part of my life for the last 13 years, and what is, for him, the “car of his dreams.” It’s the definition of bittersweet.

I hope he treats her well. I hope he drives her well. (I hope he knows how to drive a 350HP rear-wheel in the snow)

It’s been great being a part of this forum and this community. After co-founding the New England Mopar Club and joining my fellow LX’ers on so many drives (including a cloudy day on Mt Washington), I won’t forget the lessons learned and the information sharing that took place here.

Y’all take care now.

ChargerDad
(Jerry)

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Take Care, "Dad!" I hope you still check in once in a while. I haven't had my Charger for years, but still hang around here to chat with friends and see what everyone else is up to. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,465 Posts
So is it a secret what you're replacing it with?

13 years is a much longer run with a car than I've ever been able to attain. Don't think I've ever held onto a car more than 4 years.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Curious as to of why, after 13 years, you sold It? Really none of my business, and I know life changes and things come up, but just wondering if it was a lack of interest or what. Like FLEX said, I struggle with keeping cars more than a few years. I've owned my 2013 Super Bee for a little over 3 years now, and it's the longest I've had a vehicle since my 2008 Impala. I'm hanging onto it now because were already nearing the 6th model year of the 2015+, so I'm interested to see what 2021 brings. If the V8's get dropped I'll hang onto it for as long as I can and probably opt for a pickup, but if the 2021's are nice I'd like to go for one of them.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No secret about the new car.

In March, I was at the point where there were enough “little things” that warranted work that I considered spending $2K-3$K to keep her going for another 3-5 years. It was a YouTube video about the Hyundai Equus that changed my mind. Over the years, I’d never liked anything at the annual car show (other than the Challenger) that intrigued me. But the Challenger was too much like the Charger for me to pull the trigger.

The Equus was a different story. I saw my first one in 2015, and loved it. For the money, it had everything a Mercedes S-Class had, for literally half the money. But even at that price, $68K, it was too rich for my blood.

Fast forward to March, and I watch a guy on YouTube talk about the amazing value in buying a used Equus - now rebranded as the Genesis G90. That day I looked for one locally and immediately found a beautiful black 2015 Equus with less than 40K miles and in near mint condition for under $23K. I couldn’t pass it up. No one knows what these cars are, so I took advantage of that fact and bought it.

Then, of course, what to do with the Charger. To be honest, we have a small driveway, and no garage, and now 4 cars. It just wasn’t possible to keep the Charger long term. But I think I found a buyer who is going to cherish that car and take care of it.

So there it is. I will come back to visit, offer advice where I can, and hear about the new models as they come out. But I did want to tell everyone I’ve appreciated my time on this forum.

CD

·
Super Moderator
11,465 Posts
Mind = Blown

Anywho good luck...

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mind = Blown

Anywho good luck...
Yeah, lots of reasons to say that. It's a totally different drive. From being able to take fast corners and feel everything on the road, to barely knowing you're even moving. But I didn't give up everything. At 429 HP in the 5.0L Tau V8, it's got a better weight/HP ratio than the RT. This thing can move.

Here's a pic of the car before I bought it. I will miss the opportunities to mod the car, not much you can do to a car like this.
Equus.jpg

·
Registered
887 Posts
I like the new Genesis cars, and Hyundai and Kia cars in general. The new Kia Stinger GT2 is awesome. You can find year old models for under $35 with low miles. I remember the stickers on them new last year were nearing $60k.

Plus, that warranty is 2nd to none.

My issue with Kia and Hyundai is this. We owned a 2013 Kia Sorento for 3 years. Went from 44k miles to 120k miles. It was awesome, loaded, and cheap to own.

My problem arises in that that their value plummets immediately in the first several years. They hold their value worse than Dodge, MB, Audi, and BMW. Believe it or not, Chargers, at least the 392's, hold their value well.

I also don't often keep cars very long, and with not having a lot of cash on hand found it was difficult to stay ahead of the game with the Sorento. That's my own fault, but just one of the reasons we didn't go back. I think them losing their value so quickly is a bit unwarranted.

The new Genesis cars offer similar features to cars, that like you mentioned, are more than double MSRP new.

Enjoy the new car.

·
Super Moderator
11,465 Posts
Looks like a nice car in the pic.

13 years....I've owned 3 different Chargers in that time. Lol
On my 4th Charger in 12 years. :D

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Equus came to the US in 2011 from S Korea. Over there it’s used as an executive/limo. A redesign in 2014 (I bought the ‘15) and another in 2017 when they created the Genesis brand. What used to be the Hyundai Genesis became the genesis G80, and the Equus became the Genesis G90.

JD Powers just listed Hyundai as one of the top three most reliable brands in the world. It’s luxurious, it’s solid, it’s powerful enough to leave a patch when I hammer on it, and it won’t cost me an arm & a leg if/when it breaks.

I took advantage of that low resale value when I bought this one used. It’s the first used car I ever bought, but I couldn’t ignore the value.

Still, gonna miss my Charger!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, lots of reasons to say that. It's a totally different drive. From being able to take fast corners and feel everything on the road, to barely knowing you're even moving. But I didn't give up everything. At 429 HP in the 5.0L Tau V8, it's got a better weight/HP ratio than the RT. This thing can move.

Here's a pic of the car before I bought it. I will miss the opportunities to mod the car, not much you can do to a car like this. View attachment 289551
nice choice

1 - 15 of 15 Posts