Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up guys, I’ve got a 2016 RT so I had a tint job done two days ago. The battery died and the tint guys jump started the vehicle, after that all the lights were going off, horn was on blast, check engine light came on and gauges weren’t displaying fuel levels.

After some driving around check engine went away, it had came on to check the fuel sending unit. Lights are normal, gauges are normal as well but horn goes off if I start the car or if I open the trunk.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What’s up guys, I’ve got a 2016 RT so I had a tint job done two days ago. The battery died and the tint guys jump started the vehicle, after that all the lights were going off, horn was on blast, check engine light came on and gauges weren’t displaying fuel levels.

After some driving around check engine went away, it had came on to check the fuel sending unit. Lights are normal, gauges are normal as well but horn goes off if I start the car or if I open the trunk.

Any suggestions?
I would take it to a shop and explain the situation. Specifically, you need to have someone check for DTCs with an advanced scantool (not just a code reader) capable of checking all the car's modules. Make sure the shop understands that if it appears to have been damaged by a jump start (if that's what you suspect), you'll need them to provide you a detailed write-up that you can take back to the tint shop.

I would guess that unless the tint shop had the car for a period of weeks, they'll probably claim that if your charging system was in good condition when you brought it there, the battery wouldn't have died. But that's how I'd pursue it if that's what you think happened.

Otherwise, you can use an advanced scantool like AlfaOBD to scan it for yourself and start troubleshooting. But I'd start by having the battery load-tested.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Probably got water in the electronics under the dash.
I never tint my windshield as I have heard too many horror story’s

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Yep, the tinter got water behind your dash, this has happened countless times and is another good reason to never tint your windshield.

So you have to tell the tinter what they have done then find a shop that can diagnose all what needs to be replaced then work out a deal with the tinter. They should have insurance for this if not, you probably have a problem as it likely won't be cheap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you have the windshield tinted ?
I would take it to a shop and explain the situation. Specifically, you need to have someone check for DTCs with an advanced scantool (not just a code reader) capable of checking all the car's modules. Make sure the shop understands that if it appears to have been damaged by a jump start (if that's what you suspect), you'll need them to provide you a detailed write-up that you can take back to the tint shop.

I would guess that unless the tint shop had the car for a period of weeks, they'll probably claim that if your charging system was in good condition when you brought it there, the battery wouldn't have died. But that's how I'd pursue it if that's what you think happened.

Otherwise, you can use an advanced scantool like AlfaOBD to scan it for yourself and start troubleshooting. But I'd start by having the battery load-tested.
Yep, the tinter got water behind your dash, this has happened countless times and is another good reason to never tint your windshield.

So you have to tell the tinter what they have done then find a shop that can diagnose all what needs to be replaced then work out a deal with the tinter. They should have insurance for this if not, you probably have a problem as it likely won't be cheap.

Great.. I’m headed to the dealer Tuesday to drop the car off.

·
Premium Member
2,113 Posts
Have the battery properly tested as well. A 5 year old battery is an immediate suspect.

Don

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
And don't let them stick you with a bill. This isn't warranty, the shop's insurance is to pay this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And don't let them stick you with a bill. This isn't warranty, the shop's insurance is to pay this.

okay gotcha, shop seems to be reputable. Guy who did the tints just doesn’t have experience with cars like mine I guess. Hopefully bill isn’t astronomical

·
Registered
501 Posts
He is responsible and they know this when they tint windshields.
My Mercedes dealer was always after me to air blu tint my windshield and I was glad I always said NO !!!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Better check your paperwork. You may have signed any liability they have away. Not to mention tinting of the windshield below the strip area is illegal in almost all states.

·
Registered
354 Posts
How in the world is the tinter reliable for the damage? Tinting the front window is illegal as ****. Good luck with getting someone else to pay for this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Better check your paperwork. You may have signed any liability they have away. Not to mention tinting of the windshield below the strip area is illegal in almost all states.
I didn’t sign anything, he promised to pay for all damage done. His tint guy is at fault, but I don’t believe they got water under the dash. I think the battery died while and the jump start they did may have ****ed it up. I’ll post an update tomorrow when I find out from dealer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update, water possibly got into BCM and dealer is charging $795 to diagnose it and pinpoint problem.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
How in the world is the tinter reliable for the damage? Tinting the front window is illegal as ****. Good luck with getting someone else to pay for this.
Not many States allow non-clear tint beyond the AS1 line. But I know a lot of people in Texas that clear tint the whole windshield for UV protection and it does immensely cut down on the interior heat soak on the dash and front seats when facing the sun.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Update, water possibly got into BCM and dealer is charging $795 to diagnose it and pinpoint problem.
Time to file a claim against the tint shop's insurance. Hopefully this does not get ugly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts