Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is long winded but I wanted to make sure I covered all of my bases...

I posted this down on the V6 forum but I wanted to open this issue up to everyone for suggestions. This morning, I had a Magnaflow muffler (11385) installed on my 3.5L...it is a dual in-dual out muffler with just pipes running to to Magnaflow tips (no resos). Start up sound is phenomenal, rev is pretty good but I hit some major issues at 2500-3000 RPM's. After my first drive with the new exhaust on, I was having a very loud 'drone-like' sound. I say drone like b/c it is loud enough that it can be heard over the radio at normal volume and even when I put the windows down, still very noticeable. I went back to Midas (who did the install) and the guy there kind of shrugged it off to 'it's a new muffler and pipes, it's going to take time to settle in'. I told him that I would try and hold out and that I would be up later to pick up my stock pipes etc just in case.

I drove it around a little more today and after experiencing the noise numerous times, I am reclassifying that what I am hearing is not what I would consider a 'drone' but actually sounds much worse. When the RPM's get to about 2500, it's loud enough inside the cabin (even with the windows down) that it actually feels like my ear drums are beating and I actually have to cringe (to try and deaden it) a little until I get out of that RPM range. It was bad enough that I was almost embarrassed to drive my car today b/c I figured that if it was that loud inside, I could only imagine what it was like outside. After a day of this and seeing that this is my daily driver (which includes taking my wife to work and my 4.5 year old son to preschool), I can't subject them to this for another month for the chance that it may or may not 'settle in'.

I stopped up at Midas again later today and told them about how bad it was while driving but they were too backed up already to look at it tonight. They asked me to bring it back on Monday (and agreed to hold onto the stock pieces) so the tech can drive it to hear it for himself and offer up any suggestions. If they can't figure it out, I'm going back to stock b/c I can't drive my car like this. I love my car but I love my family more...

So one of two things will happen, if they can figure it out, I will gladly keep the Magnaflow parts and send the stock off to the scrap heap but if they can't, I am going back to stock...which means I may have a Magnaflow muffler and tips for sale Monday night.

You guys/gals have been phenomenal in helping out other CF members and I'm hoping you can do the same for me...

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Give it a few hundred miles... it will mellow out and the drone will lessen and become bearable.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
i have no reso, magnaflow glass tthat i drove til they were hot than shattered with ice water so now its street legal straight pipes. im 21 so it dosebt bother me that my wife says she can here my car about a block1/2 away. and i have a really loud reverb in the car but sumtimes i turn my radio all the way down an just listen the the music that is a hemi

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yea man just give a while like Manris said i have them on my 5.7 and I've had no drone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts