Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :( NEW YORK (Reuters) - Chrysler LLC has proposed shedding non-core assets in contract talks with the United Auto Workers, the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition.
ADVERTISEMENT
Adblock

The car maker has proposed shutting down or selling its Mopar unit, a maker of high-performance and specialty auto parts, and Chrysler Transport, which manages deliveries of supplies to Chrysler plants, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter.

The UAW opposes the divestments, and together Mopar and Chrysler Transport employ almost 1,300 workers, the report said. The report said it was unclear whether the divestments would be part of the final agreement.

A Chrysler spokesperson did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Is this the beginning of the end??:( :(

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was just about to post the same thing...just proposing to shut down the Mopar Unit speaks volumes...I guess we'll have to wait it out and see.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Yeah - I'd wait for a statement from DCX before any panty-bunching takes place..... Although that news does not sound encouraging....

·
Registered
206 Posts
i knew a lifetime warranty was too good to be true...

·
Registered
171 Posts
i knew a lifetime warranty was too good to be true...

even if they do shut down mopar they CANNOT go back on the warranty. It is a signed agreement when you buy the car. So if you have it already you have it.

I agree with Arfur... don't start getting your knickers in a wad on this one... With all the screaming and crying from the public for retro muscle cars I cannot see them going away from the Challenger. They have not even released the car and everyone (including non Dodge people) are interested in it.

And you can always take the stand of:

"I GOT MINE!"

Unless I am mistaken Dodge has had sales increases due to the SRT series and other "high end" vehicles.

Keep in mind that loosing MOPAR would not just affect Dodge... it would put a hurting on Jeep as well. That would seriously put a dent in their income.

Isn't this Q1 anyway for the company? Every company freaks out in the first two quarters. I know ours does. We have firedrills like this all the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Chrysler has been sold to a bunch of bean counters who's sole purpose is to gut it and make it profitable enough to sell. It was only a matter of time before this kind of story came out. I hope it's not true but, I'm really worried about the direction of the company.

·
Registered
171 Posts
:( :( NEW YORK (Reuters) - Chrysler LLC has proposed shedding non-core assets in contract talks with the United Auto Workers, the Wall Street Journal reported in its online edition.
ADVERTISEMENT
Adblock

The car maker has proposed shutting down or selling its Mopar unit, a maker of high-performance and specialty auto parts, and Chrysler Transport, which manages deliveries of supplies to Chrysler plants, the report said, citing people familiar with the matter.

The UAW opposes the divestments, and together Mopar and Chrysler Transport employ almost 1,300 workers, the report said. The report said it was unclear whether the divestments would be part of the final agreement.

A Chrysler spokesperson did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Is this the beginning of the end??:( :(

I just noticed the "selling" part.

Maybe a buyer has already come forward? You never know... could be Daimler wanting a piece back. Most of the "good" stuff on our cars was mercedes in origin, was it not?

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Chrysler has been sold to a bunch of bean counters who's sole purpose is to gut it and make it profitable enough to sell. It was only a matter of time before this kind of story came out. I hope it's not true but, I'm really worried about the direction of the company.
My company is in this situation. It sux..... :smoke:

I just noticed the "selling" part.

Maybe a buyer has already come forward? You never know... could be Daimler wanting a piece back. Most of the "good" stuff on our cars was mercedes in origin, was it not?
I would say that the Merc gear was worth keeping.....

·
Super Moderator
11,541 Posts
Keep in mind that the primary responsibility of any management team is to maximize shareholder value. The customer is secondary. This is true whether the company is being run by 'bean counters' (of which I am one - a CMA) or other management professionals (of which I am also one - an MBA).

That being said, it is common (and reasonable) for companies in times of stress to step back and say "Why are we in business?" and "What are our KSFs?" (Key Success Factors). "How can we divert focus from non-core activities (distribution, warehousing, financing) to core activities (product development, quality & research)?"

Once these non-core segments have been identified, it is logical to shut them down and/or outsource them and/or sell them off. This allows the management team to focus on maximizing competitive advantage, and may inject some capital into the company.

That's your business lesson for today.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
998 Posts
Can someone close to the industry explain to me what effect, direct effect, losing MOPAR really mean?

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Sounds like the demise of SVT.
Lol! So true!!

Mopar is what drives Chrysler in my opinion. If there's no Mopar, then to me Chrysler is Dead!! It'll stay on, but it'll just turn into another Furd. The only reason Ford still produces high end performance vehicles is because of Saleem and Shelby. What does Ford has to offer without them? The POS F150s? The POS 350s with fire problems? The FiveHundred? Lol
GM at least have all the other brands to stay alive.

·
Super Moderator
11,541 Posts
Can someone close to the industry explain to me what effect, direct effect, losing MOPAR really mean?
I am in no way close to the industry, but IF it is sold, it is reasonable to assume that whoever buys it will maintain and try to grow the business. The buyer will likely be more focused than the seller, for obvious reasons. If it is simply shut down, that is another story, with more serious results. But it seems illogical for Chrysler to do so...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Once these non-core segments have been identified, it is logical to shut them down and/or outsource them and/or sell them off. This allows the management team to focus on maximizing competitive advantage, and may inject some capital into the company.
LOL, our IT dept. has closed down a few of it's business groups and done some outsourcing. For one of the outsourced units we now pay over TRIPLE the cost of running the now defunct unit... I also know of one instance where they locked an employee's salary at $70k plus benefits as they felt he was paid too much for his "job description." He was naturally offended and left. They still haven't found anyone to replace him after two years so they've had an outsourced "temporary" contract that entire time at a pinch over $250k a year. Very nice.

I hope Chrysler's bean counters do a better job then the ones I've had experience with...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I guess everyone's gonna turn to only producing fuel efficient import-looking cookie-cutter cars. To me, Mopar is DCX, and without Mopar, what's the FUN in having a Dodge? Without Mopar, a Dodge will be just another car to get you from point A to point B.

First GM takes away the F-bodies, then Pontiac throws any styling taste to the wind and start producing cars that look all alike, and now DCX is selling Mopar (possibly)....the car world is really beginning to suck.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mopar or no car...well, I guess that COULD become redundant :)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Mopar is just the OEM "brand" for car parts. As much as AutoLite is to Ford.

Just sounds as if they don't want to manage the parts divisions anymore. That is something that can be outsourced to another company that (supposedly) does it more efficiently.

Parts make huge profits for a company.

It could mean a lot of new comapanies will be getting licensing agreements to make parts though. The UAW might be sol on this deal.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
It might just be a bargaining tool for dealing with the UAW. Maybe the UAW has some mighty different days ahead of it... might actually be good for the industry, overall. Might mean a return of the greatness of the domestic brands, if other companies follow suit.

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Well, it looks like it's time to buy a Honda. :smoke:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts