Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware I'm new to the hemi life. So I need some advice and some helpful knowledge. I pulled off my hemi cover cause a friend of mine was generous and gave me his orange cover. When I did so I found this. Oil on the left side. Could this be a gasket leak? I haven't had any issues while driving or anything. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399743521.073528.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
As some of you are aware I'm new to the hemi life. So I need some advice and some helpful knowledge. I pulled off my hemi cover cause a friend of mine was generous and gave me his orange cover. When I did so I found this. Oil on the left side. Could this be a gasket leak? I haven't had any issues while driving or anything. View attachment 126201

Looks like a PCV bleed out to under the cover. Remember I talk about liquid turning to vapor and then condensing back to liquid. This is what appears to be happening from that system. I would check for leaks there.

Not a bad thing based on the picture.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
635 Posts
Looks like a PCV bleed out to under the cover. Remember I talk about liquid turning to vapor and then condensing back to liquid. This is what appears to be happening from that system. I would check for leaks there.

Not a bad thing based on the picture.;)

Regards,
Brian
I think its the PCV bleeding vaporized oil. Brian, do you think that the "oil catch can" could help to avoid this problem?? In my opinion, I've never seen this problem in my car maybe because I installed the oil catch can...

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
As some of you are aware I'm new to the hemi life. So I need some advice and some helpful knowledge. I pulled off my hemi cover cause a friend of mine was generous and gave me his orange cover. When I did so I found this. Oil on the left side. Could this be a gasket leak? I haven't had any issues while driving or anything.

Your PCV valve seal is leaking. You need to replace the PCV valve.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111966

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh thanks so much guys! Is it a cheap fix? Also I am curious about the catch can. Will it help for future reference.

·
Vendor
10,365 Posts
Oh thanks so much guys! I am curious about the catch can. Will it help for future reference.

Yes, that will help as a catch can is designed to trap the oil vapors that occur from the oil vaporizing. The other side of it is using a higher vapor threshold oil.......QuantumBlue so that you significantly reduce that tendency. If it stays liquid, it can't vaporize.....slowing down your oil evaporation. Less oil added over the drain interval.:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Thanks Brian! Now I've been searching on here for catch cans. I can't seem to find any with the hemi covers on. Do they not fit with it on??

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I got a response from them. They said the z bracket won't fit with cover on. And I ordered the z bracket. :( I'm in the process of trying to switch my order.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So I got a response from them. They said the z bracket won't fit with cover on. And I ordered the z bracket. :( I'm in the process of trying to switch my order.

Well, the can is the same whether it has the Z-bracket or not. I'm just surprised they said it won't work. I could swear those images show the Z-bracket, but maybe it's just threaded straight on.

You can see in this pic of mine that the Z-bracket just attaches to the front of the can assembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the can is the same whether it has the Z-bracket or not. I'm just surprised they said it won't work. I could swear those images show the Z-bracket, but maybe it's just threaded straight on.

You can see in this pic of mine that the Z-bracket just attaches to the front of the can assembly.

Well then I won't worry to much. And I'll see when it gets here!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Those are threaded straight on on the normal mounting bolt
The Z bracket goes justabout where the EGR area is at.
Once u do the EGR delete, if you do, u can use the Z bracket

·
Registered
635 Posts
H2OBuryCharger, according to the pictures seen from Billet Tech, the catch can will thread in straight into a frontal bolt that allows the catch can to mount without problems with the cover on. The Z-bracket is shown in other engines, like the 6.1L from the DDaddy car or other 5.7Ls without the cover on. So, you'll be able to mount your catch can without the Z-Bracket in no time!! :bigthumb: :driving:

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
H2OBuryCharger, according to the pictures seen from Billet Tech, the catch can will thread in straight into a frontal bolt that allows the catch can to mount without problems with the cover on. The Z-bracket is shown in other engines, like the 6.1L from the DDaddy car or other 5.7Ls without the cover on. So, you'll be able to mount your catch can without the Z-Bracket in no time!! :bigthumb: :driving:

Thank you! I called them up to switch my order. It's all set! Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I replaced the valve. But according to the thread that was provided. If it doesn't rattle. It's no good or check the rubber seals. This piece I pulled out still rattles and the seals seem to be fine. But I still put the new one in to see if it solves the issue.

The girlfriend made me feel better. I asked her if the rattle sounds the same compared to the new one. And she even said the rattling sounded slower in the older one. So obviously it's gunked up. So I feel better. I now have faith that it's solved. :D or so I hope. Knock on wood!

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1400263404.015053.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1400263452.117220.jpg

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So I replaced the valve. But according to the thread that was provided. If it doesn't rattle. It's no good or check the rubber seals. This piece I pulled out still rattles and the seals seem to be fine. But I still put the new one in to see if it solves the issue.

The girlfriend made me feel better. I asked her if the rattle sounds the same compared to the new one. And she even said the rattling sounded slower in the older one. So obviously it's gunked up. So I feel better. I now have faith that it's solved. :D or so I hope. Knock on wood!

I also noticed that the top o-ring was wet with oil suggesting it has been by-passing oil vapor. That would be consistent with the oil stain pattern on the intake manifold.

I'm betting this solves the issue. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts