Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my Charger R/T last week, put on 500 miles at low rpm's, and then started stepping into the gas. At high rpm's and when the pedal down, I start to hear a fast tick-tick-tick-tick sound that sounds like it is coming from inside the cab on the left side up under the dash. It does not sound like an engine noise. Could it be somethng that is loose? Could it be the engine?Any ideas? I am going down to the dealer to check it out tomorrow. As a side note, check out my profile because I posted some photos of my car.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Gandalf...I think you might be hearing the ESP Tracksion control. I get this noise even when I turn off ESP and get on the pedal real heavy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get the exact same noise you describe. Only at wide open throttle, it's very faint and difficult to pinpoint although it doesn't seem to come from the engine compartment. It sounds to me like it comes from underneath the car, and is more noticable if I have the window rolled don and can hear outside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i would like to know the results that the dealer will tell you. I get the same sound after hard acceleration. Also when I get over 120mph my windows start to whistle. Like a bad seal or something. :headbang:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
buzz69 said:
i would like to know the results that the dealer will tell you. I get the same sound after hard acceleration. Also when I get over 120mph my windows start to whistle. Like a bad seal or something. :headbang:
I'd like to see a service tech. talk his way outta that ticket...
"I was told there was an air leak and I had to verify before working on it, HONESTLY!!!" lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
another thing is that i have put over 2,000 miles on my charger and the performance has not gotten worse it is getting better and sounding meaner.

2006 magnesium SXT looking for cheap places for parts (intakes, catback, etc..)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a drive with the Shop Foreman and it is definately coming from the engine. It can be heard more when the windows are down. It starts at 4750 rpm and increases towards 5500 rpm. He thought that it was not a problem and there is a long manufacturer's warranty on the engine. Sooo, drive it hard and see what happens. This was most likely off the record. They are looking into the situation and are going to give me a call back. It sure has been fun testing this problem out, lol!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
buzz69 said:
another thing is that i have put over 2,000 miles on my charger and the performance has not gotten worse it is getting better and sounding meaner.

2006 magnesium SXT looking for cheap places for parts (intakes, catback, etc..)
3500 miles and same results can turn off ESP and she will smoke the tires leave posi marks about 20 feet or so from dead stop. I haven't noticed the ticking but have not been listening for either but, I will now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, this noise doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems that the lifters do make a slight amount of noise on all of the new ones that come into the dealership. Every R/T I've driven or walked by that was running has the same noise.

Karl

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
mopartech98rt said:
No, this noise doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems that the lifters do make a slight amount of noise on all of the new ones that come into the dealership. Every R/T I've driven or walked by that was running has the same noise.

Karl
No No...we are not talking about the slight sound of the lifters. There is a sound that comes from the car when you get on it all the way...It sounds like running over bubble rap or pulling a zip tie all the way threw real fast.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Gandalf_69 said:
... and there is a long manufacturer's warranty on the engine. Sooo, drive it hard and see what happens. This was most likely off the record. ...
What's the engine warranty? I've started researching the charger and thought other than rust protection, everything else was still 3/36 or do you consider that long?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ohh, okay. I'm not certain on that noise, as the only ones that I have driven myself are brand new from the assembly line with like 1 mile on them. I don't want to blow one up at the price they are, lol. Other than the lifter noise, I haven't hit the throttle hard enough to hear this popping noise you are referring to. Sorry.

Karl

·
Registered
245 Posts
ANTMAG06 said:
No No...we are not talking about the slight sound of the lifters. There is a sound that comes from the car when you get on it all the way...It sounds like running over bubble rap or pulling a zip tie all the way threw real fast.
Noticed this on mine today it sounds more electronic(like a live spark pulg wire arcing to ground) than mechanical IMO. Today it was cool enough to ride with the sun roof open and windows down. Can't miss the noise and if so many people have observed this noise I am going to see how this thread evolves before I come really concerned. :confused:

·
Registered
245 Posts
DirtyOM said:
And the ticking seems to be louder right before it shifts gears, correct?
Correct!!!! I am no tech by any means but the sound is consistant always makes the sound when expected (same sound at the same time it was orignally observed every time you try to duplicate the sound) so think it has a good chance it's normal.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Now youy guys have got me paranoid! On my way home from work, I rolled the window down and ran the car to 60mph. I immediatly heard the ticking noise. Hopefully this is a normal sound. Take care and let me know if you guys hear anything different!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all,
I talked to the dealer that took a ride with me, they asked Dodge about this item, and they still do not feel like it is a problem. They said "It is not a problem at this time." They mentioned that there may be something loose in the engine compartment that may possibly be shaking during high vibration and that I could bring it in to have them go over the car. I personally do not think that it is something loose and that it is either coming from the engine or the transmission. I am going to ride it like I stole it and hopefully it will break before the warranty runs out. Plus it is fun to ride it hard!!!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts