Charger Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
$12K in damages on a 300hp car involved in a front end collision and you want to get your son a 485hp version of the same car?
Well it wasn’t his fault. He’s always been a good driver. There was video footage captured and shows my son going no more then 5mph pulling out of a parking lot, the guy who hit him was driving recklessly and charged.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Personally speaking, I think anyone who is young enough that their parents are buying the car for them is probably not ready for a car with that kind of power. All for having fun (I certainly did when I was a "kid"), but the fun stops when they get seriously hurt/killed or cause the same for someone else. I'd think long and hard about that.

Best,

Reactions: Karl_1052 and N8ECH

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I guess with inflation causing the price of parts to go up, $12k is not unrealistic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Believe me when i say it’s for “him” it’s kinda for me…but don’t tell the wife😉
Can you adopt me? You don't even need to house or feed me I'd just like a car too :)
OP should never have (seemingly unintentionally) flexed his wallet. Us tire kickers are already swimming and jam and asking for handouts...

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
@HK:
You say your son was pulling out of a parking lot. Typically, a vehicle doing just that would not have the right of way, unless there was a traffic control device or sign giving it. If the other driver was exceeding the posted limit, and he/she admitted it, or the investigation showed it, then that driver would be cited also.

Some 17 year olds could handle a Scat pack, while others have no business being on the road, period. Have you driven an R/T, let alone a SP? The difference between the 3.6l and 5.7 is tremendous, and again from 5.7L to 6.4L.
Gobs of HP, and RWD are not a good combo for anyone who is not used to it. Don't get me wrong here. I would dearly LOVE to have a son or daughter that shared my interest in performance vehicles, but I do not. Were I in your shoes, I would not be handing the keys over to a car that much faster, right after an accident.

Don

Reactions: Karl_1052

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
@HK:
You say your son was pulling out of a parking lot. Typically, a vehicle doing just that would not have the right of way, unless there was a traffic control device or sign giving it. If the other driver was exceeding the posted limit, and he/she admitted it, or the investigation showed it, then that driver would be cited also.

Some 17 year olds could handle a Scat pack, while others have no business being on the road, period. Have you driven an R/T, let alone a SP? The difference between the 3.6l and 5.7 is tremendous, and again from 5.7L to 6.4L.
Gobs of HP, and RWD are not a good combo for anyone who is not used to it. Don't get me wrong here. I would dearly LOVE to have a son or daughter that shared my interest in performance vehicles, but I do not. Were I in your shoes, I would not be handing the keys over to a car that much faster, right after an accident.

Don
Thanks for the input. I ensure you, my son wasn’t at fault. As I said in another comment, there was video. This was a accident unavoidable. The other driver was charged. My son is a responsible adult, I trust him. But thanks!!!

·
Registered
2020 Charger ScatPack WB
53 Posts
This is what $22k in damage looks like on a 2021 Genesis G70 Sport 3.3. Due to parts not being available it took 4 months for me to get her back. I only had it for 4 months when it got nailed by a driver running a red-light.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Grille Hood
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

• Wow
Reactions: HaloKid81

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Interesting. One of my friends has a 2 or 3 year old Kia Stinger that was damaged about a month ago (clipped a guard rail after hydroplaning in heavy rain). $10k in damage and he told me it's STILL at the dealer due to parts not being available with no estimate on when they'll be able to get it back to him.

Never a good time to get into an accident, but REALLY not a good time now with all the supply chain issues.

Best,

·
Registered
2020 Charger ScatPack WB
53 Posts
Interesting. One of my friends has a 2 or 3 year old Kia Stinger that was damaged about a month ago (clipped a guard rail after hydroplaning in heavy rain). $10k in damage and he told me it's STILL at the dealer due to parts not being available with no estimate on when they'll be able to get it back to him.

Never a good time to get into an accident, but REALLY not a good time now with all the supply chain issues.

Best,
Because Genesis was building new body 2022 cars when the pandemic hit, there was not many 2021parts available. Genesis stamps their own sheetmetal. I had to wait until the factory re-opened for someone to stamp out the pieces needed for my car. No parts were available in salvage yards either without buying a complete wrecked car.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
When I had hail damage my car was in the shop a total of 6 months, and when I hit a deer it was in for almost 2 months, so I'm used to those long wait times! If you have a covered rental or loaner will keep miles off your car!

Reactions: HaloKid81

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This is what $22k in damage looks like on a 2021 Genesis G70 Sport 3.3. Due to parts not being available it took 4 months for me to get her back. I only had it for 4 months when it got nailed by a driver running a red-light.

View attachment 301775 View attachment 301776 View attachment 301777 View attachment 301778
Holy hell. I’m in that position for my son himself. His car is delayed a month in the shop due to the headlights being out of stock and on back order. Did you trade it in after or did you just keep it and file a diminished value claim?

·
Registered
2020 Charger ScatPack WB
53 Posts
Holy hell. I’m in that position for my son himself. His car is delayed a month in the shop due to the headlights being out of stock and on back order. Did you trade it in after or did you just keep it and file a diminished value claim?
I just got it back. I haven't even seen it yet. My gf took the pics of the car. I'm working in Longmont, CO right now. I submitted for diminished value

·
Registered
87 Posts
A 17 year old kid street racing his dads 5.7 down the block from my parents house a couple weeks ago. Atleast we know how well the car holds up in a front end collision !

Attachments

21 - 39 of 39 Posts