Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2017 charger 392 I bought lowered, long story short I hit a pool sized pothole and it completely SCREWED my frame rails up smashed in some spots, the estimate so far from the dealership I took it to so far is 25k, my KBB value is 43-45k it has 48,511 miles and is MINT here’s some pics.. I have State Farm as well and I don’t think it’s reached quite 75% even if I list it at “fair” on KBB I just need to know what to hope for. I love this car and don’t think it should be totaled yet. The auto body guy says it would be more labor cost and less parts.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Jeez, why on Earth would you WANT that to be fixed? I'd be praying for a payout as there's no way I'd want the car back with that kind of pervasive damage. And the resale value will drop like a rock with that damage showing up on your carfax report.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
Just what Ritz RT said. IMO, if it were just bolt on parts, that would be one thing. You are looking at damaged structural pieces that would require the car to be cut apart, and rebuilt. I would not want it back. I don't see how it could ever be right again. I hope you or your insurance are working on going after the responsible entity for reimbursement.

Don

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have to agree with the previous comments. I'm sure you love the car you had before the pot hole, but in my opinion, that car is gone. I personally wouldn't have confidence that it could be brought back to the way it was plus Car Fax would hurt the resale value.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeez, why on Earth would you WANT that to be fixed? I'd be praying for a payout as there's no way I'd want the car back with that kind of pervasive damage. And the resale value will drop like a rock with that damage showing up on your carfax report.
I planned to keep it forever so I’m not too worried about resell value, I just planned on making a little fleet. That is the ONLY reason I want it back and because my gap insurance will just put me back to square one.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I'm interested in how big this "pot hole" was. I'm not saying it was avoidable, but it had to be somewhere deep enough and long enough to allow the wheel to drop in completely. If it was 8 inches deep and only a foot by foot and you were traveling at speed, your tire would have caught it but the momentum would have carried you across before bottoming out. Maybe still caused some damage but not like that.

I've seen some nasty crap on highways especially in the spring after a long winter prior to the road crews getting them patched up so it's entirely believelable. But it had to be one heck of a pot hole to cause that.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If I ever think about lowering my Charger, I will open this thread

Reactions: DigbyAllen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to agree with the previous comments. I'm sure you love the car you had before the pot hole, but in my opinion, that car is gone. I personally wouldn't have confidence that it could be brought back to the way it was plus Car Fax would hurt the resale value.
Crazy! You have a pic of it? because....thats my second worse nightmare. We have some incredible potholes here in Canada from the freezing and such.
i will try to go out there today and get a picture, couldn’t have seen it coming.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I’m surprised the air bags didn’t deploy. It’s too bad since that would have answered your question.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
I would put some jelly in my pocket because that car is toast.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, don’t the dude before me did it lol
Yeah, it looks cool etc, but the Boston roads look like they were bombed out in some parts. I still have a few scrapes on the belly pan riding R/T Super track pack high

Reactions: Sinamon Stick

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I planned to keep it forever so I’m not too worried about resell value, I just planned on making a little fleet. That is the ONLY reason I want it back and because my gap insurance will just put me back to square one.
I would think long and hard before going that route. Times and minds change. That thing will take a huge value hit. If you're really lucky, you won't have any choice and they'll total it for you. :)

Honest.

Best,

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You might want to get pics of this "pothole" and see if your city/township/county has any liability here. Were they responsible because they did not fix or at least erect a warning sign/baracade. I know some locations will pay for the damages if it was because of thier neglect.
Maybe consult a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You might want to get pics of this "pothole" and see if your city/township/county has any liability here. Were they responsible because they did not fix or at least erect a warning sign/baracade. I know some locations will pay for the damages if it was because of thier neglect.
Maybe consult a lawyer.
This. The town will cover the damages. I would get it fixed it is an insurance payout either way. Who cares what it ultimately costs if it is your baby?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts